biggest upset in WC history

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by ScoringChance, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ScoringChance

ScoringChance New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Montreal, QC, CA
    We've all heard of USA's 1-0 win against England in 1950 or North Korea's win by the same score over Italy in 1966.

In recent history (1982 and after), what would you say was the biggest upset in WC history?

Is it Northern Ireland's 1-0 win over Spain or Algeria's 2-1 win over West Germany in 82? Morocco's 3-1 win over Portugal in 86? Cameroon's 1-0 over Argentina in 90? The USA's 2-1 over Colombia, Saudi Arabia's 1-0 over Belgium, or Bulgaria's 2-1 over Germany in 94? Norway's 2-1 over Brazil, Croatia's 3-0 over Germany or France's 3-0 over Brazil in 98? Senegal's 1-0 over France, Korea's 1-0 over Portugal, 2-1 over Italy and 0-0 (5-3) against Spain, or the USA's 3-2 over Portugal?

Many possibilities, maybe you even think it's something else. What do you guys think?

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    WC2002: England 1 Argentina 0

3. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I say Senegal-France.

WC holders against lowly rated African team.

France's form throughout the group ended up showing they were terrible, so it's not like Senegal beat an awesome team. :)

4. Shahryar

Shahryar New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    USA
    I think for a team like S. Korea which had never won a single game in WC history to beat Italy (World champions more than once), is a great feat. They were playing in front of home crowd, that is why I did not pick them.

I voted the Algerian victory over the Germans in '82 as the biggest upset in WC history (at least from the list provided).

5. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Stoichkov and Bulgaria defeating Germany in quarterfinals, 1994. Germany were the world champions and at that point had an undefeated streak of 11 world cup games. After they took the lead with a penalty by Lothar Matthaus, It seemed things were taking the normal path, but Bulgaria managed to equalize through a sublime free kick by Stoichkov, then Letchkov scored the winning goal on the famous header that earned him and his teammates a few personal threats...

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had to put S. Korea-Italy. I know they were playing at home, but before the game did anyone actually think Italy would lose to South Korea? I didn't.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Argentina - Cameroon. Same scenario but this game really changed the football map. Would Africa even have five world cup spots these days if it wasn't for this match. Speaking of Italia 90... maybe one of Costa Rica's games (1-0 v. Scotland or 2-1 v. Sweden) should be on here. That was CR's first world cup and those scores reallly came from out of the blue.

8. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes I agree. Who would have thought before the tournament that S.Korea would have made such a run in the WC.

9. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    sweden's 1-1 vs argentina when argentina were forced to win.

10. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. 1-0 victory over England in the 1950 World Cup.

11. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senegal over France. Regardless how bad France played after they were the defending champs, and everyone had high expectations on them after winning euro 2000 as well. Senegal was expected to be a pushover for them and they sprung the upset. That's what really counts imo.

12. Sean_94

Sean_94 Member

Dec 29, 2003
    1-0 Cameroon over Argentina. That started it all for Africa, and Argentina still made the final in 1990.
    France went out without a goal in 2002, so by that measure Senegal's upset wasn't as big.

13. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US 1-0 england

no comparison, semi pro players playing what was considered one of if not the finest side in the world.

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I can't see how that wasn't an option in the poll.. After all it was a bunch of part time players who barely knew each other against England's mighty pros ...
    It was even bigger as an upset than if the Wycombe Wanderers were to beat Chelsea in the FA cup now... ;)

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys.... even though it's (perhaps mistakenly) not stated in the poll question, if you read the guys first post, he's clearly looking for modern era upsets (ie: post WC82).

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I see now.. It says recent world cup history in the post however the thread title said.."biggest upset in WC history"..
    Well .. I was already old in 1950 so it still seems recent to me.. :)

17. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    In terms of recent history, I'd have to pick Senegal over France. Although we now know that the French team was vastly overrated, but the fact that France lost that opening game I'm sure caught everyone off guard.

But my greatest upset would have to be North Korea over Italy in 66. After seeing the amazing documentary about the team, The Game of their Lives, I'm convinced. This documentary, by the way, is not to be confused with the recent movie about the US team. Anyways, these guys were all made up of like people from the North Korean army and stuff and I think no one gave a crap about them. But then they beat Italy. And what was really cool was that all the Middlesbrough supporters were cheering for them and a lot of their supporters went out to see the North Korea - Portugal game.

And what was most impressive was their knockout game against Portugal. How about being up 3-0 against Portugal for something? Then of course, Eusebio decided to take matters in his own hand and he scored like 4 goals. But if North Korea had used some better tactics, I'm convinced they could have beaten Portugal in that match. The guys just kept on attacking even with a 3-0 lead and well, at least they didnt go down like Italy who sit back after a goal.

And I think the South Korea - Italy game is really marred by all the officiating gaffes. So because of that, I wouldnt pick it as the biggest upset.

18. fk51785

fk51785 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Florida
    Korea vs Italy in World Cup 2002 Korea/Japan.

Was the best World Cup game for me ...

About 3 minutes before the game was about to end,
    Seol from Korea makes a miracle shot to tie the game 1-1.
    And in Over Time, Ahn's Golden goal made Italians packing Home.

I thought Italy was very childish when Perugia (Italian league Team)
    got rid of Ahn because he made that goal.

19. Xantium

Xantium New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Senagal beating France by far the biggest upset in recent history

20. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    It seems most people have a rather short memory bank. Sure, those recent WCs produced some shockers. But, I'd say the 1982 Algeria team had one of the most improbable runs.

Germany managed to screw them in the end and soccer in general during that WC. If you've ever asked, "why do they play the last group games at the same time?" - look at this Germany-Austria spectacle. It was, to this day, one of the most unsportmanlike behavoir I've ever witnessed.

Tangent over.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted Senegal-France, based on how it was perceived at the time. In retrospect, France wasn't good, and it wasn't much of an upset. But at the time, France and Argentina were considered co-favorites to win the whole shebang.

22. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    thats my pick too

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Most people rated the Argentina-Cameroon very highly. I thought the game was not a big upset. Cameroon went home undefeated in their previous WC Finals. Algeria beat West Germany in 1982 and Morocco made the 2nd round in 1986. So Cameroon was not the first upset by an African nation. It was the fans who failed to see the coming of African soccer.

BTW, Costa Rica's games belonged to this list.

24. ScoringChance

ScoringChance New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I did think about Costa Rica. The only reason I left them out of the list was that, even though their wins were huge upsets, Sweden and Scotland were not major powers like Germany, Italy or Brazil. Actually, looking back on it, Costa Rica's win over Sweden, a one-time finalist and two-time semi-finalist, is probably a lot bigger than, for example, Morocco's win over Portugal. I guess I had to make choices and I maybe overlooked that one.

25. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    As a Norway supporter, I voted for NOR-Brazil 2-1, one of the most intense joys I have experienced in a football context. The game goes in my top-5 of all-time most fulfilling games I've seen.