Wigan vs. Arsenal [R] Pre/dur/Post Match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wigan, the promotion wonders, are hosting The Arsenal. This is going to be a tough match...Wigain play very solid team football. There are no true superstars on the WAFC side, but they make few mistakes. I am thinking a 1-1 draw. Van Persie nets a goal for the Gunners.

2. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Does anyone know how bad Van Persie's injury is? I hope it does not cause him to miss this match.

Having said that, we really must win this match cause we are YET to win away. This is like the worst away record I have ever seen from any Arsenal side. Wigan has been overacheiving at a level greater than last season's Everton, and I think it's time we bring them back to earth.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm thinking we break our streak of poor away form so far this year at Wigan. With Campbell back in the defence, Henry up front and an overall more settled look to the side I think we can shade this one. It's about time we started picking up points away from home and while Wigan have had a great start to the season they haven't really played any of the top sides since Chelsea visited the JJB on the opening day of the season.

4. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wigan 0 Arsenal 1. Pires scores late and this match gets Arsenal's EPL title hopes rolling.

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Oh come on, even just 3 or 4 seasons ago we couldn't win away......we were sh1t in fact. Well really looking forward to the 3 and a half hour trek to make it there for the game.......... :rolleyes: 1-1 draw, they are tough this season.

6. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Bear in mind also the the FA seems to have given Ref's stict instuctions to give Wigan as much as a hand as possible. We could well be facing 12 men out there. Im thinking 2-2

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    shouldn't you be honeymooning? congrats, btw.

if Wigan is this years Everton, does that mean that Arsenal crush them both times they play?

8. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Yep. And next year they get to be ruthlessly exposed in European play.

9. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I've got a goooood feeling about this. So we'll probably lose 3-1 :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've never been to Wigan, so it'll be a good excuse to look at the pier!

10. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    This Thread is a bit early.lol
    As its here 3-1 to Arsenal but the score wont reflect the match. Wigan will be differcult

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WHAT? The match is this Saturday.

12. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    apparently bbc hasn't seen the 2 weeks before the game threads before :D

13. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no we're doing that in the spring. I gotta go to Vegas tomorrow for work :cool:

this fixture should be very interesting, see you bright & early at The Globe!

14. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    So Siegfried finally found a replacement while Roy's on the mend, eh? :D

15. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the odds that Freddie is back for the match?

16. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    cool.

yeah, 6:30 is going to come mighty early on saturday

17. cisko

cisko Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be some lineup problems for Arsene after the internationals. Looks like Clichy is injured, how seriously they don't say. Reyes and Senderos will have played in two serious matches, and Henry, van Persie, Gilberto, Toure, and Lehmann in friendlies. How many internationals do Wigan have? Heh.

On the plus side, Arsenal have been in decent form of late. Is it time to get our road form back on track? Is this when Wigan begin a return to reality? I'm gonna say yes, and call it 1-2 for the Gunners. But maybe I'm a bit hopeful.

PS. Good to see Philippe get a goal on the weekend. But I must say I find this photo a bit... frightening.

18. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Until Wednesday's international ties are over there's no telling who we might field on Saturday. Pray that Reyes gets a rest since Spain is sitting pretty right now...yeah like that will happen. :cool:

19. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Lauren, Campbell, Henry, Gilberto, Bergkamp and Pires should all be nice and fit. Lehmann too. Hopefully Ljungberg will be fit. As long as the rest survive I think the team will be really up for this, and they can have a rest till the following saturday...

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Sky Sports News is reporting Clichy's injury as a fractured foot, in which case he will definitely miss the Wigan match. My guess would be Eboué plays there, who else do you guys have at LB? It seems a very thin position at Arsenal.

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Bring back Hoyte maybe ?? :(

To be honest with Cole and Clichy there, with Eboue or Toure as backup, we shouldn't need anyone else

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, but it never hurts. We have five players that can play to LB, and for a game or two, ahd to play our #5 guy (Richardson), as 3 were injured (Heinze, Fortune & O'Shite) while the 4th (Silvestre) was playign at CB. Richardson picked up a knock in that game and had to limp the last 5 minutes or so... had that happened earlier in the game, we would have needed either Park or Fletcher back there, or Eckersley - a youth teamer. :eek:

The moral of the story: depth never hurts. ;)

23. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Well, we have Cole and Clichy, Toure, who can play anywhere, Eboue, or Campbell who's played at LB for England if i remember correctly, so we have reasonable depth...

24. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    not too worried bout wigan.. maybe i am overlooking their good start but we should honestly spank this team..

3-0 to the arsenal.

25. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    1) Hopefully Clichy can play..... If not, who do u think should play LB? The thought is quite scary...

2) Does any1 know why Reyes was subbed out on Saturday? Was it because he wasn't playing good?

3) I think we will have a pretty much fit team. Henry shouldnt really be tired, Pires, Ljungberg, Fabregas, Gilberto, Flamini, Cambell didnt play internationals.