Ronaldinho's latest nike ad - REAL or FAKE?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    If you have seen it yet: http://rapidshare.de/files/6564657/nikefootball_ronaldinho_viral_high.mov.html

Get that.

I've shown it to a few friends and it's a split 50/50 fake/real.

Suggestions put forward are digital mixing (CGI), hence the zoom. And the other theory being the 'goal' is in fact a green room and the the goal mouth has been overlayed afterward.

I remain sceptical of both theories, still, who's to say.

What do you think? Vote/discuss

2. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    It's totally fake.

To start if he could do that in real life Barcelona could play with just him instead of 11 players and win every single championship there is with a score of 20 goals in favor of barcelona in every single match.

Anyway, I kinda feel I can spot this things easily coz I'm a designer and can fake things on video.
    If you zoom in you can see the ball disappears between 1:32 and 1:34. During these two seconds he kicks the ball first with his left foot and the with his right foot just before he makes his shot, and the ball is not there. he just pretends to be kicking something before his shot. there is no ball during those two seconds. When it's 1:34 almost 1:35 and he is starting to kick the ball the ball magically appears at knee height. I'm 100% sure about all this.

There also things like he had better ball control with his head during those crazy shots than at the end when he was close to the camera.
    Last, there's a reason why the camera zooms out during those shots. Sure anybody would say that it is because they wanted to us to see everything, but it also because it's easier to fool the viewer when the the ball is just so far.

3. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    the is a reason why that is a NIKE "AD". They paid a lot of $$$ to some design agency (probably in the uk or us) to create that. Do you think nike would make an ad that could be made by anybody with just a couple of hundred dollars or free, if there was access to a soccer field, a ball and camera.

4. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    2 more things i noticed....

-There's something wrong with Ronaldinho from 1:40 to 1:58. Can't really explain it, but it looks like he was filmed probably in a green room and later added to the video. Tha shadow during this time looks digitally added.

-At the beginning you can see 2 kids kicking the ball just outside of the penalty arc and later on when they reappear they suddenly become 3 kids and they are now playing close to the corner arc. Also at the beginning just outside the penalty arc there's a couple of those orange cones or whatever you call them in english with posts and later on they dissapear magically.

5. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    He was juggling the ball and during those two seconds he had his back obstructing the camera. That is the reason the ball appears to be not there…his body ain’t transparent you know.

More BS! He was still bending sideways to control the ball on his head during those “crazy shots”. He controlled the ball longer on his head later, so it is obvious that he would have to bend and stretch for a longer period of time to keep the ball under control.

What is the point of this? Does it prove anything?

Again, another baseless argument!
    And again! If you can’t explain, don’t make inconclusive statements.

At the beginning there were three ‘kids’ as well, one was outside the focus of the camera, but you can see him kicking the ball (ball coming from his direction) to the other two players.

The orange cones are still there later on…all of them in the right places.

:rolleyes:

Don’t know how good you are at designing fakes, but you aren’t too good at spotting the presence or absence of them. You should take critical appraisal courses in your field.

This is what you get when you start critiquing from the standpoint that “it has to be fake”. There is something called two-tailed tests in biostatistics and clinical research. When you are assessing the effect of a therapy on a patient, you have to consider both options that it might be better or worse than the comparison. You should not start off with a one-tailed test that the treatment can’t be worse and will only be equal or better in effectiveness. However, that is exactly what you did! You got to do better to prove your point. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing in that video to prove that it is a fake. Only Ronaldinho's unimaginable skills are making some people fail to twig. Did you ever consider the possibility that he could be (one of) the most skillful player of all time and that he is capable of doing things other players/viewers can't even dream of?

6. animatestate

animatestate New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Many Places
    Anyone remember the LeBron James commercial were he was shooting those shots from the other end of the court WITHOUT jumping and they were all "swisshes?" People were saying that was designed and it is a NIKE commercial, so maybe this is something they are working with. Showing players doing extraordinary things while wearing Nike gear.

As for the person who called the people in the background "kids," I don't see any kids, I see three men in barcelona training gear, probably players actually. :)

7. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    You can never rule out the fake option. However, the arguments put forth to explain the video being fake are super flimsy. I'll consider it real (since, nothing to my eye suggests its fake) until PROVEN otherwise.

8. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA

oh yeah i remember watching that one,it was sick! :eek: ...but that one wasn't a nike commercial..

9. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    well i just watched it, yeah it's fake, imagine not only hitting the post consecutively but doing it in a way in which the ball bounces back to a good position for Ronaldinho to "catch" it...

pretty nice video though...

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    That would be a fair arguement if no player had ever done that before, but Puskas and Maradona have. so?

11. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    but 3 times in a row?...plus it looks like the ball sometimes doesn't hit the upper part of the bar, where it should hit to make the ball bounce upward....if hit in the middle or below the ball wouldn't bounce that far...

but hey it could be real...you never know

12. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    I know his back was obstructing the camera. Those are the only 2 seconds where the ball doesn't show up in the whole video, and this is because there is no ball at that moment. During these 2 seconds the ball is not only obstructed by his back, but when he is kicking the ball, the ball is only obstructed by either leg and the ball would be seen if there was a leg obstructing the ball coz the ball is wider than a leg.
    Then the ball reappears when he is gonna shoot, but....it reappears at knee height, instead of seeing part of the ball coming down.

No there were not 3 kids!! there were only 2. they were only playing by themselves without looking or paying attention to a third person. This from 0:00 to 0:03. Later on the kids reapper in the video but as 3 and playing near the corner arc.

They were there at the beginning but they were not there while ronaldinho was making his shots.

English is not my native language. It's still hard to explain certain things for me.

I can't believe someone would think this is real. I am in the design industry and I know what's possible. I see my coworkers doing things like this.
    A normal person who has no idea about the software can't really see the little things I noticed because they are well done, but still possible to spot.
    I sent the link to a coworker who does more 3d and cgi and he agrees with me. He saw the dissapear just before he shot the ball. Also he says the ball and ronaldinho look a bit fake during those shots. Specially the ball.

Anybody thinking this is real should stop watching Chuck Norris' films

13. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    It's true that his back was obstructing the camera from the ball. Didn't anyone else other than me find the behavior of the ball a little weird? o_o. It just seemed to be computer generated, honestly. Reminds me of a compilation clip of this little 4-6 year old boy who was declared to be a genius and they sent in clips of his matches to big teams but in all the balls always seemed to be behaving weirdly. I dunno.

14. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Wow! Its fake Ronaldinho now? Amazing! The guys practising cannot move back toward the corner flag when Ronaldinho is putting on his shoes? Anyway, how is that relevant to what Ronaldinho does later? So, you are saying that Nike edited the part where Ronaldinho is putting on his shoes? Lol! You must need special skills to put on them gold ones!

You definitely get to see a (white) part of the ball when his body is obstructing it in between 1.32 and 1.34. The ball falls on feet...it is clearly visible, you got to look closely.

Which orange cones are you referring to? All orange cones are where they should be. If you are talking about the reddish posts attached to the orange cones used by the players as goal at the beginning, they could have been removed by the players while Ronaldinho was wearing the boots to make room for him. Either that or they were out of focus as they were quite far from the (yellow) artificial wall.

The video might be fake, it might not be. You haven't proved that it isn't real. Until you can validate you claims, it is unfair to suggest otherwise.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but in that commercial the ball left the frame in every shot. I would think the only parts edited were the ball 'hitting' the crossbar and a return ball, perhaps shot from under the mezzanine.

Of course, who knows, maybe they spent 5 hours shooting and he did it 40 times before getting enought to roll with. I wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldinho could make the ball rebound off the crossbar 50% of the time.

16. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    well we all know what CGI is capable of these days...so is not crazy to think this is fake...

i remember the nike commercial of the brazilian team playing in the airport, and how they showed how it was done, there was a part of roberto carlos kicking the ball through a 4ft by 4ft feet box of some sort(cant remember pretty well) and they showed how it was done and you'd see roberto carlos trying like 10 times just to get the ball to go through it..

now we all gotta believe Ronaldinho it's gonna hit the upper part of the post 3 times in a row and perfectly bounce right back to him?...and like someone else said, the ball movement after hitting the post it just doesn't look right...

17. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    This video HAS NOT been shot for commercial purposes! This is not like the LeBron James video or the NIKE Ole one. I do not see NIKE using this directly to market their products worldwide. This video only serves to glorify Ronaldinho, which might indirectly benefit NIKE. It is also available only on Nikefootball.com (that too, only on a particular site...so, its not a global reach by any means). One might then suggest that all videos on Nikefootball.com (like the freestyle ones) are fake. NIKE's interest in this one is limited (or indirect) at best, unlike Airport and 'Ole videos, which would be truly unreal.

18. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    The Airport video was not shot at one go. Moreover, it was shot for different purposes. Ditto, NIKE 'Ole. This one ain't similar to those commercials.

19. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    so the video shows a new shoe for Ronaldinho and it's in their website but is not for commercial purposes?

20. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    Everybody who's played soccer a bit seriously knows his 4 shots on the bar are fake. That kinda things happen only in Captain Tsubasa :rolleyes: (great series btw)

21. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Wow this shows how you guys jump on accusing the video of being fake without even trying to watch it closely

Ronaldinho did it 4 times in a row, not 3

It could be fake, but who says they didn't work on this for a while and Ronaldinho managed to provide a nice performance after 40 or so tries as someone said?

Even I that am awfully far from being a skilled pro player could hit the crossbar when playing rebound on 80% of tries after some practice (of course I wasn't able to make it bounce back to me :D )

Until now no conclusive proof that it is fake

22. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    And most certainly : Until now no conclusive proof that it is true.

23. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    [​IMG]
    first bounce

[​IMG]
    secound bounce

[​IMG]
    third bounce

[​IMG]
    fourth bounce

To me it looks like the ball hits the bar where it should
    In some frames it seems that the ball *may* have disappeared, but if you follow its trajectory backwards, frame by frame, it's easier to spot it

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All the dribbling was him thats not even a question...the crossbar, 4 times in a row, and then that last one at the end before it black out....Hell, Ronaldinho should be shooting it every time he touch the ball.lol

25. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ball is obviously obstructed by Ronaldinho's body
    But if you zoom in enough, you can see at least a glimpse of it behind Ronaldinho's legs when it should be touching his feet