National team job play-off match [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Holyjoe, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Busan I'Park v Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Wednesday 24th August, 2005
    K-League second stage (First round of matches)
    Busan Asiad Stadium

It's a rather curious twist of fate that has Cha Bum-keun going up against Ian Porterfield tonight in the first match of the second round of the K-League, with Suwon traveling down to Busan to try and kickstart their season and Busan looking to continue their momentum to aid their AFC Champions League chances

Winner gets the national team job? Wouldn't put it past the KFA ;)

2. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    KFA will never put Cha as the coach of the NT after 98. No way, hopefully not. I hope they are smarter than this.

Any chance KFA could offer chunk of money to lure Mick McCarthy from Sunderland? I think he's a very underrated coach.

3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    There are no direct quotes from anyone at the KFA here, but this article seems to be suggesting that the KFA are currently deciding between the two of them:

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Why don't you coach the national team Holyjoe? both of those candidates suck terribly. :mad:

5. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    I didn't win Rkim's poll, so it seems that I'm not the popular choice for the job :(

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Forza IPARK! Actually, considering the fact that Koreans can easily sack somebody, maybe a five nil defeat from Busan could sack Cha from the Suwon job.

7. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    I like Cha. The way he is critical of Cha DR, he is likely to dump his son from KNT. Let the Cha's team win. :D

8. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    KFA BS is behind me. ;)

9. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Suwon won 2-1 through second half goals from Kwak Hee-ju and Itamar, after Da Silva had given Busan the lead.

Cha for Korea? ;)

10. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! No Cha! Great player, mediocre coach.

11. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    I was waiting for you to say this.

12. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Yeah, well I wouldn't want to disappoint you. ;)

13. FlashM11

FlashM11 New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    California
    did song play? if so how well did he play?

14. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    suwon should be easily crusing throug the k-league, but they're not. cha, despite being the best player korea has produced, he remains a mid-level coach. how can the kfa go back to him, especially after the disappointments of '98?

15. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Admittedly this is from the Daily Record, a Scottish newspaper primarily aimed at the kind of folk who sat at the back of your class and ate crayons, but they seem to reckon that Porterfield has actually been offered the job and has said no.

Wouldn't read too much into anything they print though...

16. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Ian Porterfield wouldnt be a bad coach but lets forget Cha, he's an awesome coach but if he coaches KNT, he'll just start Cha Doo Ri every game :D jk..

17. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cha would be crazy too take the job again...he was basically exiled after 98....another performance like that and he might loses citizenship.

Porterfield if I had to choose between the two. Does he speak any Korean yet I wonder....

18. Korean John

Korean John Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Seoul
    Porterfield doesn't speak Korean but he does like the country.

19. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Holyjoe reads and understands Korean and his misses is a Korean too! :)

20. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    me, too. ;)

21. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    yea porterfield is the better choice since it looks like its down to him and cha....wonder if cha bk did become coach how he would use dr cha?? i bet dr cha would hate it if cha boom became coach......

22. St.Johnny

St.Johnny New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Seoul, Korea
    Let's not forget that Cha gained his experience in 1998, and that he had no experience in coaching the NT in a major competition before 98.
    Surely we can give him another chance. Since he can communicate well with players and know a lot about them.

23. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Sure, why not?

In general, I would like Korean to be the KNT coach. Other than Hiddink, past foreign coaches weren't any better (or worse) than their Korean counterparts. Might as well stick with Korean coach this time. Besides, this obssession to worship "forein" anything is not healthy for Korean economy. 국산품애용! :D ;)

24. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    But Cha's been doing rather badly with Suwon, who are arguably the club with the best players in the league... So what merit has he got? Besides, Cha has stated in the past that he'll never take the NT job again, after the horrible nightmare he went thru that was the 98WC campaign.

I just wonder that if we have to choose a domestic manager, then there might be options available other than Cha (it's not a matter of giving him another chance, but whether he'll be crazy enough to take it again ;))

25. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'll say no thanks to all domestic coaches with an exception of Kim Ho. even he doesn't have what it takes to take us to the promise land in the World Cup IMO.

one thing we have to think about if we are to hire a domestic coach is that we don't and never did have a proper system to produce managers who can do well in international level. about 95% of our domestic coaches are former big name players who automatically turned themselves into managers after their retirement. that's just not gonna get it done.

until we have the proper system to produce quality managers, our best option is to hire a big name foreign coach who proved himself in both international and club level and make our assistants, players, and FA learn from him.