Trade Esky now!!!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Shark, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    three concusions in as many years is a BAD thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Trade him while his accomplishments are still fresh in other team's minds.

The salary savings will be key, and in the long run will look like a savy smart front office move as long as we get quality in return.

Am I just full of shIIIt for thinking this?

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    So, exactly how many teams will be lining up to take a player with habitual concussion problems?

Not many I would say. I think it's a little too soon to throw Esky on the garbage heap.

3. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Moreover, isn't there a very good chance he'll never play again for anybody?

4. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    ....some desperate coach will take a chance on him and it's possible he will produce, but the next head knock he takes may be his last in MLS period.

It's just bidness......

5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC

Yes. Moreover, you are a shIIIt for thinking this.

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Jamil Walker has significantly more trade value at this point.

7. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    Well......that's just a stupid post.

..but I do not think you were taking it seriously. MLS cup MVP and Walker should not even be mentioned in the same breath...

Why don't you seriously consider the idea for a minute before posting another knee jerk reation?

somehow, I don't think you will.

8. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    No, really, Walker has a higher trade value at this point. That's the sad reality of it. As I understand things, Esky's in a pretty bad way, man.

9. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll ask this question - what's a realistic expectation to ask in exchange (assuming you can find a GM interested)?

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well, let's look at some numbers.

Jamil Walker has played less than a third of the minutes in MLS this season that Eskandarian has, and yet he has more than a third of the shots Alecko does.

Jamil Walker trails Alecko Eskandarian's point total this year by one in MLS play.

Jamil Walker has blazing speed.

Jamil Walker has scored a goal this season, the same number that Alecko has scored.

Jamil Walker has scored more recently than Alecko Eskandarian.

Jamil Walker doesn't have a horrible history of concussions that are seriously threatening his career.

Let's face it, Chris Albright never had a season here that was as bad as the one Alecko was having this year. To top it off, there's a fair chance that Alecko doesn't step on a professional soccer field as a player again, ever. He has serious problems with an injury that is very difficult to assess and recover from.

The ONLY thing United could get out of a trade potentially would be a conditional draft pick, because the team he would be going to would know that if he never suited up for them, they would never owe DC a thing.

11. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    1) Esky really won't have alot of value right now and trading him would be a risk
    2) waiting it out and seeing if he's able to return and produce even a little bit is still a risk, but IMO less of one than trading him for uncertainties such as unproven players or sublemental draft picks

Now, that being said, if someone makes a desperate cry by throwing us a solid player or two that we know could help the club right away, go for it!

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Conditional draft pick.

Just like Devin Barclay was traded for.

13. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On top of all of this, I would hope that our club would be more sensitive and willing to stand behind an injured player. He's brought us a lot (his goalscoring was a major part of the cup last year), and we owe it to him to stand behind him until he gets better.

RS

14. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Good thing you arent in charge of making trades for DC...

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are.

1. It's probably against the CBA to trade a player whose playing status is uncertain because of injury
    2. Why would another team trade for a guy who might still be out for a very long time?
    3. Why would we even consider trading a guy who may bounce back next year and play at his 2004 form?

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Yes. If his skills are still fresh in the minds of other teams, what are his concussions? He couldn't pass a physical right now anyhow. Aside from the inability to do it, he won't get anything near his worth and the blow our rep takes around the league makes this totally unworth it.

A serious question: if he will be out for the rest of the year, do we recieve a roster exemption or something similar for him?

17. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Yes, you are.

The guy was MLS Cup MVP last year and this is how much slack you cut him?

Nice.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to believe this, too. I think they will.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can, but we have to carry him and the replacement under the cap. I think replacing a player also makes them ineligible for the rest of the season.

20. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    This is serious stuff. I would hope United's front office and coaches would hold him out the rest of the season. Let him get healthy. Esky should at least seek out Troy Aikman, Steve Young or Brett & Eric Lindros and talk about his condition.

All those guys careers (except Eric Lindros) came to a premature end due to too many concussions suffered.

21. tanekaberi

tanekaberi New Member

May 29, 2004
    Takoma Park MD

22. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would like to see the following happen...

Sit Esky until such time that it can be determined if further playing will have long-term effects on him. If needed send him down a level to begin his return, while under very strict medical stupervision.

Aquire Melvin Tarley from the Minn Thunder ASAP.

If necessary...bye bye prudieux, in order to allow that aquisition.

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are. Apart from the fact that it's likely against the CBA -- not to mention very suspect ethically -- there's also the fact that his physical condition is not exactly a secret. The same reason you want to trade him is why other teams would say "no."

24. Black&Red#17

Black&Red#17 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Way too far away!
    I could not agree more. Esky brings a lot to the team. I know that his start to the year was really rough but it seemed like he was just about to turn things around before the Matt Reis fiasco. Many people have already said it, his long term health is the first priority and we do owe it to him to stick with him. Would we have won the MLS Cup last year without him? I highly doubt it! I hope they take as long as he needs to let him recover but I cannot wait for the day that United fans can welcome him back onto the pitch!

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    If the team stood behind Simpson and Olsen, there's no reason why they wouldn't stand behind Esky.