2007 WYC Squad

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by USvsIRELAND, Jun 26, 2005.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Any talk/Any Additions?

2. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    So far only those players played for first division (MLS):

Adu
    Bradley,
    Ward
    Szetela
    Lopez

3. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Besagno has also appeared, taking the total to six.

Future U-20's by Year

2005 6 (Adu, Bradley, Ward, Szetela, Besagno, R.Lopez)
    2003 4 (Gaven, Alvarez, Capano, Gonzalez)
    2001 3 (Convey, Johnson, Quaranta)
    1999 0

I find it impressive that so many of our U-18s are getting playing time now. By contrast, many of this year's German U-20s had yet to make their Bundesliga debuts.

4. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee Ngyen (sp) should be on the team

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    OK, I'm gonna type this slowly so that the folks with comprehension issues have a better chance to get it: Lee Nguyen is an 86 (10/7/86 to be specific) and is too old for the next U20 team, which is for players born in 87 or after.

As for the next U20 team, one thing that jumps out at me is how challenging it's going to be for many of the 88s who were regulars with the 17s to make the team.

You gotta like the older GKs chances, especially the ones who are Sophs already, of starting ahead of Ruekner.

In the defense, Tim Ward is a lock and Nate Sturgis is very likely to make the team. That's two spots right there that the 88s won't get. There are likely more in college and I'll talk about them later (after the US-CR broadcast ends).

In midfield, it gets really crowded. Danny Szetela and Michael Bradley are pretty good bets to start and Rodrigo Lopez could be a sleeper. Freddy Adu could also start here if he doesn't play forward. And that's just the pros. There are several 87s in college who are having good years as well.

Up top, there isn't as much competition from the pro ranks. Johann Smith of Bolton is an intriguing option and we'll see if the next U20 coach - I'd bet it'll be Bob Bradley - has any interest in Max Cream. And, of course, Adu could play here. I'll expand about the college 87s later.

Given the lack of size, perhaps the next U20 coach will also call up Bill Dworsky, an 87 from Alabama who is a Sr. in HS this year (going to UNC next year) who was the Adidas ESP Golden Boot winner this summer and lead his club team to a national title. He's been called a Brian McBride clone.

Anyway, you see the point. The 87s (plus Freddy) will likely take 6-7, at least, of the starting spots on the next U20 team.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    One more time, for the slow ones.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Given the squad we have for this team on paper, we've got to be one of the front runners to win it.

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I am tired about McBride clone. Like Zimmerman in U-17. I want someone like Vela of Mexico. We need a forward who can playmake too.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well if Arvizu performs in college like he did against Italy you may get your wish!

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm interested in who from among the U18 group is ready to step up. As you have mentioned in the college forum, a number of freshmen have been productive thus far. I think one to watch is Sal Zizzo of UCLA. He's been a regular in recent U18 camps, and has played at RM and even sometimes up top. He's off to a nice start with the Bruins. He still has a lot to learn, and IMHO must develop a few trusty ball moves to beat defenders. But he's got something that translates well to the int'l level--- he's fast. You can depend on him beating his man on the wing and getting crosses in.

11. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Here are a couple of college '87s that are having outstanding seasons and haven't been in the youth pipeline.

Jordan Seabrook at South Florida is almost certain to be a long hard look. He's got speed and he's producing goals (7g - 4a) alongside Hidalgo at USF.

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/Athlete.asp?s=Soccer&i=584

http://www.dyestat.com/3us/5out/NikeOutdoor/40.htm

Michael Clegg is having a nice season at St. Mary's (7g). He's potentially the 6th former So Cal United player from the '87 team (Seitz, Lopez, Barrera, Lepolodo, Folk, Clegg) to get a look from a youth National team.

http://smcgaels.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/clegg_michael00.html

Also, Briant Mejia is a former youth standout in So Cal and Regional player playing at Necaxa. I'm not sure if he's eligible because his bio says he was born in Mexico. If he's eligible Sigi (if he's coach) will know about him and take a look. If Sigi isn't the coach, then he probably will not get a look. He could be a target for Chivas USA though.

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portal/indexcontenido.php?Obj=100032&IdJug=47606

Jamel Wallace is another player that may get an invite. He's the former San Diego player of the year and described as a great athlete. He's now starting (I guess in defense) for improving San Diego State this season.

http://goaztecs.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/wallace_jamel00.html

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to davide again.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Looks like Rodrigo Lopez is playing forward for Chivas USA Reserves from this:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20051002&content_id=44598&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

14. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Covered ... that's really cool that soccer is getting a kid like Seabrook. Most of the kids in that race are now running track at major colleges, so this was a major coup for South Florida.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Davide, great work, as always.

Here's a link to an article on Wallace in HS.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/12/02/sports/amateur/22_43_5312_1_04.txt

Looking at the SDSU website, it appears Wallace didn't play the first three games of the year then came off the bench the next three and has started the last 5, apparently in the back. (A couple games they list positions on the box score, and he's listed as a defender. Other games they don't list positions, hence the "apparently.")

In the 5 games Wallace has started, the Aztecs have allowed three goals and have three shutouts. And as davide said, SDSU is very much improved, with a 7-1-3 record so he's playing for a good team.

One thing is clear, with the likes of Wallace, Seabrook, Wynne, Onyewu, Alston, etc... the US is getting a level of athlete at the youth national team ranks that they didn't get in the past.

Do we have the coaching staff that can turn these athletes into skilled and tactically savy players? That remains to be seen but the coaches are certainly being given more with which to work.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    http://chivas.usa.mlsnet.com/MLS/ne...ntent_id=45332&vkey=pr_cdc&fext=.jsp&team=cdc

He got some time at forward with Chivas Guadalajara/USA team.

17. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I thought Arvizu was far more impressive than Zimmerman in the recent tournament. I wouldn't mind seeing this formation to accomidate both him and Adu in '07.

------Target Man-------
    ----Adu------Arvizu-----
    LM-------------------RM
    ---Bradley----Szetela/Besagino
    --Ward----CB-----RB------

I know a lot of people think Kirk is sold for the RM spot, but he needs to show me a bit more.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Sturgis is an 87 and was good last WYC so he's a lock IMO. I hope he goes pro this winter. Kirk IMO was just bad in the u-17 WC but he was still recovering from his injury so we'll see. Training with Landon Donovan and LA will help him improve in 2 years, but Soroka was pretty good IMO.

19. Beck11

Beck11 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Nashville/Knoxville
    This is why I am already excited about the next U-20s. I feel like we already have half a squad of proven (at this level) players and we are just waiting for some of the yung uns' to develop of a Feilhaber to come from nowhere.

Exciting times in U.S. Soccer.

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Agreed.

Pros:
    Rodrigo Lopez
    Michael Bradley
    Danny Szetela
    Freddy Adu
    Nicolas Besagno
    Quavas Kirk
    Tim Ward
    *And all the Europeans listed in first post

Expected to go pro soon:
    Nathan Sturgis (MLS)
    David Arvizu (MLS)

And if Guiseppe Rossi or George Weah Jr. decide to play for us we'll have one heck of a pro squad.

21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Of the 'pro' group mentioned at the beginning of the thread, realistically we shouldn't expect more than one or two to be eligible AND interested AND good enough for the U.S. U-20s. I think we should expect a few of the 87s from the U-18 team to step up as well as a few of the 88s from the U-17s. Speaking of pros, it'll be interesting to see how Johann Smith will continue to develop at Bolton. He has outstanding speed so he can potentially be one of the answers up top.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Dang forgot about Smith!

23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Smith has been starting regularly for Bolton Reserves. I've read a few match reports and he's often been described as one of their most dangerous players. But I don't believe he has scored yet. Hopefully, the goals start coming soon.

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Is he playing on the wing or at forward?

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001