Did a Jorge Geddes ever play for United?

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by Sachin, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    If so, he may be a management trainee at the Enterprise near my house in Silver Spring.

Sachin

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was our third keeper for a while. I vaguely recall him getting into the end of a game once. Maybe when Nick got hurt or something.

Edit: He came in aftrer Warren got a red in the Open Cup against the Metros. I think that was after Nick's injury in 2003.

3. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    The game at Rutgers. Nick was hurt and Warren got red-carded for taking a guy down on a breakaway. So Geddes' first action was on a PK.

Myself, K, GrillMaster, R&B and a few others were the only United fans to see it.

4. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Probably the only Malawian in MLS history.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    we had dinner one night with him--he, esky and warren sat at a table at a dinner united had with me, oscar and our wives. warren and geddes had girls that seemed to be girlfriends as well. seemed like a nice guy.

he definitely got thrown into what was one of the wildest United matches ever. that game was just up-and down the pitch with all kinds of crazy plays, incredible chances and a very "cup-like" atmosphere. stoich was brilliant, but ultimately defensive breakdowns killed us. geddes made a great save but didn't seem to really understand the position.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    He played the 2nd half of the Blackburn friendly as well, I think.

Thx,

Jay!

7. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Kick a ball at him and find out. ;)

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Might not be able to determine much from that.

Considering he got cut the week after Nick Rimando tore his ACL in 2003 when he would have been the backup keeper, I think that says a lot about United's faith in him and his ability to keep shots out. If DC was scared enough from promoting him by default from third to second, he probably didn't have much.

9. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    From memory, that was Warren that played the 2nd half and handled the PKs. I mainly remember how bad Blackburn's #2 keeper was--he gave up a goal to freakin' Brian Carroll.

10. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    If the ball gets past him, at least we'll know he was a Hudson-era player.

11. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    So by that rationale, Matt Reis is Blackburn material. ;)

12. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The PA system at RFK announced he scored a goal against San Jose in one of the 2003 games. I was on the quiet side that day and it was quite audible. The only thing was that the goal had been scored by substitute Jamil Walker who wore the same number - but for San Jose.

That's my memory, anyway. It may have been slightly less dramatic (like incorrectly announcing Geddes' name while Walker was subbing on), but I like my hazily recollected story better.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's to understand .... stand in front of the goal and stop balls from going into it :)