Sam Newman Suspended by Triple M Radio Station

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by hiddink_magic, Jun 1, 2005.

1. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Negative Newman gagged on radio
    EXCLUSIVE
    Mark Robinson
    01jun05

SAM Newman's career as a radio football broadcaster is in jeopardy after he was suspended indefinitely by Triple M yesterday.
    Injuries at your club
    Round 10 photos

Newman's constant "negativity" towards the game was the reason given at a meeting with Triple M general manager Gary Pert and football producer Lee Simon.
    Former Fitzroy and Collingwood champion Pert said Newman's "obsession" compromised Triple M's broadcast.

"In my view listening to the matches the past few weeks, there is a real negativity and sort of vibe that's been created in the broadcast which is not healthy and indicative of what we want the Triple M broadcast to be," Pert said.

Newman is suspended for three weeks. A meeting then will decide if he returns to the line-up.

"Yes, they've suspended me, because they said I'm a bit counter-productive to the call," Newman said yesterday. "They think I turn people off and I probably do."

I said to them the trouble is the game's got worse and as it's got worse I'm afraid I've become more cynical and just more disenchanted with it," Newman said.

"They said indefinitely. I don't know how long that is . . . but I had an idea that's what they were going to do.

"I'm not worried. I don't want to be suspended, but radio stations and media outlets are probably asked not to speak too badly of the game we love -- and I love the game, but it's very hard to sit and watch games being completely slaughtered.

"I've seen 24 games this year and 19 of them have been shocking."

Asked if his career as caller could be over, Newman said: "They can do one of three things and they know that and I know that: they can sack me, they can suspend me or they can have me do something different.

"I have no argument with Triple M. They are entitled to be represented by the people they want."

Pert yesterday confirmed Newman's suspension and said audience feedback and in-house opinion had forced the station to act.

"This is not something we came to lightly or quickly," Pert said.

"We're pretty protective of the product we're putting out and I think that's been compromised at the moment.

"When the whole broadcast is being, in effect, dragged down for the whole game with a bit of an obsession . . . that's something we had a chat about today. I just believed Sam needed a few weeks off away from the game broadcast."

Newman will continue on the station's M Sport on Friday night and pre-game on Saturday, but will be replaced on the game call by station staff.

Newman is the station's highest-profile football commentator and joins James Brayshaw, Brian Taylor, Jason Dunstall and Danny Frawley on match-day duties.

This year he has been severely critical of the game's current style as well as the umpiring performances, but as a special comments caller he is adamant he is paid to give his opinion honestly.

It's understood his decision to give worst-on-ground votes to Hawks Sam Mitchell, Shane Crawford and Luke Hodge at the weekend against Collingwood was the final straw.

Most football media awarded top votes to the trio.

"Hawthorn played the most ridiculous football I've ever seen and I said so," Newman said.

"And they were the catalysts -- Mitchell, Crawford and Hodge. They were so indirect, just so, so, so contrived.

"I know the crowds are up, but the game is like the world. The world will survive but humans will stuff it up; the game will survive, but clubs might stuff it up."

Pert couldn't categorically confirm Newman would return to the broadcast.

"We've agreed to catch up again in three weeks," Pert said.

Is his career in jeopardy? "That would be taking it too far. It's something we can work through, but it needed to be addressed, and Sam needs to have a bit of a think about it," Pert said.

"We will be meeting in three weeks, but we haven't agreed on when Sam will be back broadcasting football."

After winning last year's ratings, Triple M was beaten by 3AW in the latest ratings survey.

Sam deserves every little bit of his suspension. Maybe he should change his name to Richard Cranium because it would prove to everyone that he acts like it.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Whoohoo!

3. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    He definately deserves this suspension.
    He's gone too far with the negative comments.

4. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Do not worry he (Sam) will be on the " Footy Show" tonight. Eddie has not got a show without him-and Eddie knows it.
    However Sams negativity to the game is getting worse.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at the same time, Sam's right about the quality of play -- and especially that of direct play in the AFL this season -- getting worse and worse. However cyclical that in itself may be, every time I hear Sam on the radio (and Triple M is the only station I listen to for footy) I keep nodding my head in agreement.

As for his three-week ban, maybe Triple M's management is afraid of other things, rather than just who Sam may rip next (deservedly or undeservedly). I personally think Sam's being chided for his free speech, and as long as he's been at it, no suspension is going to make him change his ways.

In any event, "The Footy Show" is on in less than an hour from this writing, and I'm sure he and Eddie McGuire and the panel will have something to say about it.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter how spot on some or most of them are? Let's keep that part of the matters into its proper context...

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Justified criticism or not, I just really, really dislike Sam Newman. Dumping him would go a long way towards improving the quality of sports programming in this country.

8. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    When he goes on about coaching and Hawthorn's style of play he shouldn't have any right to go criticize any of the players or the coaches. He doesn't coach a footy team in fact he doesn't coach at all. Sam Newman should change his name via deed poll to Richard Cranium because he acts like the shortened version of that name.

9. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Same here. I don't listen to Triple M footy because he is a total dh on there as well.

10. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    This topic has raised a point about attendances - Why are attendances up 10% on the previous record year. If the game is going backwards in standard in direct play why are people going through the gates in big numbers.
    Tonights game Geelong and Collingwood sold out -52,000 people at the Dome.
    I think only "some" clubs are using negative play to cover their lack of talent.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By this reasoning, that would disqualify at least 95 per cent of the commentators on radio and television. Seems immaterial to Sam, when no one brings the same arguments against the likes of (and this is off the top of my head here) Garry Lyon, Jason Dunstall, Dwayne Russell, Steven Silvagni, and so forth. None of those players have ever coached at any competitive level (although Garry Lyon as the All Australia coach would be a bit of a stretch).

Fact of the matter is that Sam gets paid to scrutinize the tactics, play and coaching of all 16 AFL teams, including your beloved Hawthorn, Suzi. That's what a commentator does, especially one who has played the game with distinction.

And as far as the line about Sam not coaching at all, not entirely true. He does serve (or has served) as a freelance ruck coach to several teams.

I thought it was because Triple M's signal doesn't reach Ballarat?

Nonetheless, I was listening to the second half of the Collingwood v Geelong game on Triple M on the way home from work tonight, and although the team of James Brayshaw, Brian Taylor, Jason Dunstall and Danny Frawley (who was subbing for Sam) sounded really good, I still felt that it was missing something, that edgy feel along with the expertise that Sam brings to the broadcast.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other question I had on this issue, and it can be applied to the general human condition as well...

Do we often mistake an analysis of the hard, cold, brutally honest truth for negativity?

That may very well be the case here...

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's not lost on the fans, either, according to commentary other than Sam's.

No contest, no fans -- Geelong Advertiser commentary

To quote from the article: We all know Sam sometimes exaggerates things when trying to get his point across. But largely what he's been saying on radio about the brand of football some clubs are playing at the moment is very much in line with what the punters are talking about in the stands.

It's got to the stage where supporters are refusing free tickets from friends to AFL matches because they aren't sure if they are going to see a genuine game of contested footy or just a game of keepings off.

And the new rule that limits defenders' spoiling tactics isn't helping either. No one goes to the footy to see soft free kicks being paid. They are there for the gladiatorial contest.

14. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Actually some more good points being raised here.
    1/ I think people see Sams clown activities on the Footy Show and think ???
    and find it hard to take him seriously about anything.
    2/ The boss of the AFL AD thinks in dollars mainly - So let see what happens in the rest of this season and 2006 with the crowds - If they go down he will react.
    3/ A leading Basketball coach in Australia says that Aussie Rules has to deal with flooding (36 players in one half of the ground) and negative possession play. He said that basketball had this problem in the 1970`s and introduced the 3 pointer and other things. Also recomends the the AFL introduce the 9 point goal trialled in the Wizard Cup.

15. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    No it is because of my antenna that doesn't pick up the station. I need a better antenna on my stereo.

I can't stand most of the commentators on tv. I hate Sam Newman. He is so negative about everything. He also has his mind below the belt at all times.
    He is so immature in everything that he says.
    When you listen to Triple M, and you listen to Brian Taylor you don't need Sam because Brian is just as bad.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Well, yeah, but he's a wanker.

17. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Exactly.
    I didn't know we could swear on here!