Owners meeting in June

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mbar, May 21, 2005.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Stone mentioned this during the telecast today. Is this a normal occurance in MLS (don't think I've heard of it in past seasons) or is it possibly a sign of some owner unhappiness at various things in the league?

(slightly diapointing attendance, future expansion setbacks, chivas slow start, Harrison failure?)

Just curious whether this meeting is something unusal or par for the course...

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Stone mentioning that the meeting will include MLSE looking for another potential site for Toronto's SSS.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hope they do something (or at least start a serious discussion) about refs ...not holding my breath

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Refs are under the jurisdiction of US Soccer, so there's not much they can do, except complain, but I doubt there really going to do that.

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could they invest a bit into it, come to some sort of agreement..Meet US Soccer halfway somehow... i think it oculd be worked out... can't stand the little to no improvement in 10 yrs on reffing side....

6. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll take care of a lot of issues on the table right now. There are a lot of potential investors that have shown interest in MLS and the current owners need to decide how to handle those (Murstein, Club America, MLSE, the Milwaukee investment group).

I also have a feeling that this meeting will very much be about Metrostars as well. There is a vote coming next month in the NJ state assembly which will determine the fate of the Harrison project. I'm sure the owners will be talking about that as well.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm pretty sure there are league meetings every summer. Thi year is a little different in that there are a few off-the-field decisions that are due by seasons end. I'd guess AEG & HSG have kept it regular contract over the years but this year it's a little different as KSE, Vergara, & Checketts have someone at the table (will Kraft send Gulati? :)). So I think it's important to realize that often decisions are basically made before these kinds of meetings and sometimes they exist mostly to officially make these decisions. But this year there still may be some ongoing issues during June so they'll definitely be important meetings.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The very first thing Stone mentioned on the list to be addressed at this summit is the big one next to SSS, in my mind: LEVEL OF PLAY.

Uncle Phil personally saw all those filled seats at RFK for the Pumas-United match on a Wednesday.

MLS is desperate to figure out some sort of meaningful competition between MLS and the Mexican League to take advantage of these fans who still look down on the league.

The competition can only be meaningful if there is actual competition, which at the moment there can't possibly be with the difference in team salaries between MLS and the Mexican League.

Not to mention that the attendance problems could only be helped by an increase in level of play.

I hope to see some news out about substantial salary cap increases for next year. At least I'll pray for that.

9. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I would like to see an increase, but isn't there already an outlined plan for salary caps for the next 5 years with the CBA?

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    none was reported, that doesn't mean there isn't a planned increase mandated, but I haven't heard about it

11. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    If none has been reported there probably isnt one, I just knew some salary increases were outlined in the agreement (like the increases in league minimum salary) so I figured cap might be regulated as well, but I guess not.

12. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    We all should be wondering when a few owners are ready to jump ship or spend B money to bring in better players ala NASL.
    I think time has past for the rosters to be more American born players, you got to mix and match and put out a knock out team on the pitch for fans to show up. These college kids playing soccer won't fly any more and it won't put butts in the seats. :mad:

13. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, I think it's important to keep most players on the team american, and spending lots of money to bring in Big Players would probably put the league out of business ALA NASL.

14. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    There may be a time for that, but I think we have to at least wait until all the teams are in SSSs and making money. I mean, why drastically up spending when the league is still losing money? We need SSS's and stability, then we can really step up the quality of the product on the field.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    College kids? What college kids? You mean in the reserve league? Yeah. That's being taken care of. The college kids now have a reserve league to battle it out, get playing experience b4 they can make the jump onto an MLS top 18 squad.

FEW kids are coming out of college and landing spots on a squad now a days. Few.

16. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I wonder if the poor early attendance numbers hasnt fiinally woken them up to the fact that many people are tired of the level of play in the league. I really find it hard for them to convert many new fans when you have 17 year olds and recent college grads starting for teams making 28k a year. I hope this is the case but I'm not counting on it. I personally feel that they arent going to invest much more in players until all the teams are in SSS.

17. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Umm.......no.

The purpose of this league is to grow the SPORT in this country...not do fly bys to make a quick buck (NASL, Championsworld). This means the development of American players is absolutely paramount. This league, in my opinion, should ALWAYS have a limit on foreign based players. Now they can ease that limit a little bit every once in a while like they did for this season...but in the future when I see commercials featuring MLS stars the majority of those stars better be American with the minority being foreign.

And I guess I don't understand this uproar about the quality of play. This season I think the quality of play is pretty solid. Goal scoring is way up from last year and so far I've seen some freakin quality games. Hell if you watched Metrostars/Revolution today you'll understand what I mean. Sure we can continue to improve the quality of play as we have a long way to go...but I highly doubt that is the primary reason for dissapointing attendance numbers in some of the markets.

18. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I tend to disagree with you on the quality of play. I think it has leveled off. There is a major shortage of creative players in the league. Just look at Chicago and Colorado for example. I don't think anyone is suggesting to go the NASL route but it certainly wouldnt hurt to bring in some players people want to go see like they had in the beginning of the league. Valderramma, Donadoni, Campos etc. Even if you could get one player like that on each team I think it would improve the play and help attendance.

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    You must be new to this discussion. Whenever someone like yourself mentions bringing in more quality someone always feels the need to rush in and scream NASL! NASL!

Its like a bigsoccer rule or something.

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL! :D

How dare you want better players at moderate costs..... Thank good Phil is in charge and not you! ;) :p

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you haven't seen any Rev matches this season ;)

22. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    The last CBA mandated an increase in the minimum salary, escalating from 28k to closer to 40k over the next few years, and included full health coverage for all players. I did not recall an increase in either the maximum salary or the total team cap, though that would seem possible, even if only on an inflation adjusted creeping up of 1- 2%.

Specifically, Rob Stone mentioned the meeting was about level of play and expansion, with emphasis on Toronto and San Antonio.

The level of play is significantly better than it was five years ago, but we do need to encourage creative play, and get some of the hacking out of the league.

An interesting commentary on how to achieve that was the very game Stone and ...I can't say his name, it hurts too bad... were calling. The Metro- Revs game ended in a 2-2 tie that could have been 3 or 4-2 to the Revs, or maybe 3-2 to the Metro had Ibrahim not been carded. The most imporant thing, the game featured 38 shots. It featured good passing, good crossing and creative, offensive play.

The Revs featured a lineup of mostly american players (or at least players who grew up here), including Noonan, Twellman, Dempsey and Joseph (from Grenada but raised in the states). The Metro featured a lineup with a split between American and foreign players, with Gaven, Lisi, Magee and Woly each getting points, and Youri, Guevara and Ibrahim providing creativity in the attack.

Clearly, there is more than one way to skin the cat without going all NASL on the checkbook.

Also, contrast the 3-2 DC United/KC game with the game from 3 weeks ago in KC that finished 0-0 and was terrible. If you looked just as the earlier KC game you would think the level of play had regressed. Yesterday's game was much more exciting (though 7 cards?).

So, I agree that we need to encourage attacking play, look to stiffle the hackery that goes on and try to replace the "let's play for a 1-0 win" mindset of teams like Colorado, but I don't have a quick fix for doing that.

I think you just have to find better players, both American and Foreign, and keep bringing them into the league.

23. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I dont think bad refs or the level of play will be the issue.. i think chats will be about expansion SSS and which teams will be moving or perhaps folding...

san antonio will be a topic because when a city is willing to give you a rent free stadium compared to a huge blood sucking stadium like giants stadium MLS has to look at its options.....

24. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I think the thing people have to realize when you see everyone at MLS constantly pushing that it has to be Americans on the field is that it benefits them. If they were to increase the skill level in the league they would have to pay more in salaries. They will make that argument til their blue in the face because it is to their benefit.

25. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I have but I have also seen many San Jose, Colorado, Chicago, and Columbus games also.