The 2012 Heritage Cup competition

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seismothusiast, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Man ... Cronin should've had more respect to the cup. He basically just took the cup from the SoundersFC fan, held it in one hand, then took a bee line to the dressing room. Did I miss something? Was SJE able to have some "celebration" after winning the cup?

2. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The in a great analysis! It really shows how distinct the two competitions would be from each other if the boxing format was instituted. There is no reason why Open Cup or Concacaf Champions League meetings couldn't be used. Each year the delegations of each team establish the rules by consensus, so it's up to the supporters of the teams involved. You make a great point that the schedule will already be unbalanced, and I like the idea that teams could "earn" more Heritage Cup games by advancing in other competitions (provided they meet each other).

edwardgr repped this.
  3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sounds reminiscent of the Ranfurly Shield competition in New Zealand rugby. There is the normal NPC championship and then the Shield which occurs during the season, with the Shield holders defending it certain games during the season.

4. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No on-field activities had been approved by the Seattle front office. My understanding was that Cronin was about to leave the field when he was asked to go back out to take the cup. Hopefully as the cup gets more attention the teams will coordinate better. Both teams need to learn to accept their opponent celebrating with the cup as a positive rather than a negative.

edwardgr repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like you got your answer: http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1348863092/0

6. Seraphim Renegade

Jun 16, 2010
    Rose City Till I Die
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I posted and it seems like the majority of people on SCUSA are pretty much against joining in with the Heritage Cup. There are a few others offering a few alternate ideas as well, so I'm just looking to see if anything else evolves from there but unless I hear otherwise, it looks like it's a no-go. Thank you all for hearing me out and for your time and consideration in this matter.

7. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    LOL. I can't believe somebody would actually not hate San Jose right now. I bet for those at SCUSA, the only team they care about is SoundersFC. For them Cascadia Cup > MLS Cup.

8. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hmmm... I'm not looking for something as big as Keller's last regular season game. Cronin could've at least get the cup from SoundersFC, go to the corner with lots of SJE fans, then show-off the cup. I don't think the guys at CLink would mind Cronin celebrating for a few minutes. If the players don't have respect for the cup, I can't see how non-hardcore fans would have respect for it either.

Anyway, who is coordinating the cup in Seattle? I assume it's not ECS since the came from section 131, I think.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, nice to see the TA remain as ignorant and obstinate as before.

10. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How about adding "1974" to the cup and then Poortland isn't elligbile anyway, as they were apparently founded 30 years later.