At what point does MLS stage an intervention?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by abecedarian, Feb 6, 2012.

1. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, have things gotten bad in Revoland. The fan base is dwindling and demoralized, the owner's apathy strikes every eye, the coverage in the local paper of record is almost nonexistent, the team is scarcely making an effort to contend... Distressing as this is for us as followers of the team, to the league it almost amounts to an existential threat. If MLS is on the cusp of the big time -- and I think they are, personally -- can they really afford for one of their founding teams to have essentially given up?

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here, but don't you all think the league should be looking with some alarm at what's happened here? Do we dare hope?

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the rest of the league takes off and the Revs can't even get half of the league average attendance, then you might see some real action.

But ultimately, the league isn't going to seriously consider contraction. It's just not going to happen. The Revs won't go away until someone buys them. So until the league has another big pocket investor, they won't even think about pressuring Kraft to sell.

Question: Why does Kraft keep the organization? I don't buy the KO "it's a conspiracy to thwart soccer" theory. Is he waiting for the sport to take off so he can cash in? Or is he making money hand over fist from SUM?

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree totally.

I don't think it's a conspiracy either. I don't think he's Dr. Evil, keeping his foot on the neck of soccer. Plain and simple, he's not passionate about the sport. He sees it as something he can fill stadium dates with without expending large amounts of capital. It's a fun family night out with the kids. This isn't "real" sports like the Pats or the other Boston teams. If the other owners want to spend their money on big names and soccer-only stadiums, well that's great- let them have fun. He's not about to do that. He puts it in the hands of people he trusts, they tell him they're doing the best they can, which he accepts because they're his hand-picked guys. He's from the old school, soccer isn't part of the American sports diet, might never take off. Oh sure those latte drinkers and loggers in the Pac NW are diggin' it, but they're Seahawks fans anyway.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I'm a little unclear about Montreal already, seems an odd situation and a weird time to do it. Another year and stadium might have been ready, more money lined up...I guess Montreal was probably a do or die situation, without going into MLS they had no competition left, and it still doesn't look to me like any of the lower "professional" divisions have much time left on the watch.

I think they've got the good money out for the moment. Means the Revs are stuck.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If an investor can secure a stadium deal in NY, then the league might have a replacement. Also, the ownership in Orlando is starting to look serious. Regardless, I think we're 2-3 years off.

It's funny, there are all these people on MLS:G and MLS N&A clamouring for 24 teams. Personally, I think MLS struggles to get to 20 in the next half decade.

6. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they'll do anything until the league has at least 20 teams and another investor comes in with an SSS plan and obvious ambition, whether from here or another major market. If this is in the near future and the league hasn't grown enough to support another team, Garber will probably at least let Kraft know about the situation. He'd probably prefer to wait and then add the team rather than pull the plug though, I honestly can't see any serious intervention in the next few years.

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You guys are too much. I would think the league thinks DC United is in a far more tenuous place than the Revs. Although our attendance is not reaching potential, it's not at the bottom. The team has no financial nor lease problems. What makes you think the league is that unhappy with the Revs just because you and I are?

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Bottom line--Kraft was instrumental in getting Garber his job.

There may be other individual owners unhappy at the drag chute that the abysmal Revs have become on the league, but Garber won't be the one to act, that's for sure.

Slow, steady decline and an annual spot at or near the bottom of the league for the next decade. Only Bob Kraft passing on or Garber leaving MLS could change that.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Exactly. Nothing is every going to happen. There is no incentive for Kraft to leave. They get enough screaming 12 year olds and their parents into the stadium every game, plus the cash from a few friendlies. That makes this franchise worth holding onto. Think about it, he puts almost zero effort into the soccer side of his business, and it still makes a little bit of money.

Besides, what pressure can the league actually put on him? Threaten to not put games on National TV? LMFAO

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless some guy shoves $100 million in his face.

Garber said the league's stopping expansion at 20 teams for the time being. If the league adds a 20th franchise, then you're going to have potential investor/operators trying to buy out the DC/Revs ownership.

11. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's count the number of times The League has decided to showcase a Revs home game on National Television this season?

That would be zero.

Let's compare all the exciting Revs happenings leading up to first kick 2012 on The Leagues website.

That would be no comparison. Building stadiums, big signings, and MLS'ers away in Europe, compared with 'Schilawski Looks For Bigger Role With Revs'. Very exciting stuff.

I'm guessing The League is greatly disappointed in the current devolution of this franchise.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost edited my post to say the same about NY, then I remembered that every NY investor who has raised their head to date has been a shyster looking to capitalize on a couple high profile friendlies.

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    In an intervention the idea is for the subject to become convinced that his life (team) has been going the wrong way and to get help in changing to a better way.

You're proposing getting rid of the subject & putting someone else in their place.

Less like Intervention & more like The Sopranos (not sure what you do with the body).

14. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

My hope is that the Revs come dead last next year. That way Kraft knows for sure that the team-behind-the-team ain't worth a pound of dirt.

I can find satisfaction with the Pats losing the superbowl, because that means Kraft lost the superbowl, too.

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, and I wouldn't contest any of what you said, but, for someone to suggest the league wants them to shut down, sell, move, any of the above? I don't think so.

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alas, It took the Detroit Lions too many years of abject losing, and a Millen Man March, before they finally threw out that idiot, Matt Millen and their fortunes began to turn. Sometimes this is human nature. :(

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I am with you, brother.

18. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I third it..!! LOL
    As is evidenced by my tirades on Twitter after the Pats game. I'm trying very hard not to belittle a sport that many of my friends both here and in the real world hold dear(for what I don't know, eh hem! lol) But, even though knowing my friends were sad at the loss...You have no idea the elation I felt when I knew Bob Kraft and Son, were also.

But, that's over and no matter how hard we pray or "hope" if that's what you believe in...Nothing! and I mean Nothing, not even some impromptu shots of Kraft in an old Revs Jersey pointing at some other sports star practicing with the Revs, will get him to acknowledge, commit and support with emphasis, this Team, League and Sport...Nothing!

19. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    WOW. A fan that wants his team to finish in last place. The Revs are proud to have you on board.

20. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

No longer a fan of the team. Just a fan of a few select individuals that are unfortunate enough to have to don that jersey. I think the best thing that can happen to this team is lose, lose, and lose. Kraft notes nothing but the numbers at the end of a season. We've had problems way before the last two non-playoff seasons. The more we lose, the uglier we become, the quicker and more repeatably it happens, then the earth will shake.

It's pretty sad. But, that means whenever we scrape off a victory, I'm happy for the few guys on the field. When we lose, (which statistically isn't really hard) I'm happy seeing those numbers add up until the pitiful result at the end of the season.

So, yes, I'm hoping for another bummer end of a season, and maybe another after that. But that's ok; I'm young, I can handle it ;)

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah....."to be Young was very Heaven".......:(

22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Must spread Wordsworth rep.

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, please come down off your high horse now. We get it, you're more worthy.

BTW, I can't help it, the thought enters my mind too that a zero win, better yet a zero point, season might embarrass Kraft enough to make real changes to improve his other football team.

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I was originally going to post about how an "intervention" was a ridiculous idea and that I thought they had a chance to be much improved this year.

Now, I'm thinking an intervention might be just what the doctor ordered.

Holy Flaming Dog Crap on a Stick...

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    JSEsq, you deserve Bob Kraft.