Is it time to close this entire forum?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by propnut27, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    The Revs have done nothing for many years. They are doing nothing now. They, in all likelihood, will continue to do nothing until hell freezes over.

All this being true, is it time for the few hundred of us who either like self-flagellation, or are getting off on failure, to just go away?

Wouldn't it just be best for our mental health if we just agree that the Revs aren't worth one milliliter of our testicle sweat, and go find ourselves another team, one that actually gives a shit, for us to attach our affection to.

It's still the "beautiful game". There is still satisfaction and joy to be had from supporting it. But these cynical bastards don't deserve our support. It past time that we all acknowledge this; and move on.

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need a place to laugh at the mockery of a team that is the New England Revolution. Or cry. More the latter.

4. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there in the late 90's...I'm like WTF? And was finding it hard to agree with all my eurosnob friends that the Revs were no grander than some hyped up marketing stunt that went horribly wrong. So I shied away for a while. And it sucked..because the internet wasn't that super strong as it is today..the USA $hit the bed in France98..dark times for the beautiful game in this country...
    Then I started again in 2001...and luckily for me I got to see Twellman, Deuce, Noonan, Rally, Parky and others make decent runs to championships...only to be reminded again what an absolute A-hole Bob Kraft is...
    So I'm on that proverbial fence again..This time, there's like 4-5 channels on cable that show the game exclusively. The internet is filled and MLS is actually thriving..and I'm hoping for better times.

I pray everyday that the MLS owners finally get fed up with Krafty and his "contract" with them will soon be up..perhaps there's an early kick ur ass out the door clause for him if he doesn't ship up...

Problem is..and I've felt this from the very beginning..and if I had just listened to buddies who felt "What does Kraft know about real Football"..i would have saved myself braincells of anguish! Kraft will NEVER be a champion of the beautiful game. He may occasionally talk the talk and even go so far as to build some high school stadium on a T-stop and call it an SSS..but this Monger will NEVER be committed, vocal and sharp about this game. I don't expect him too. I expect him to be a drunk cheerleader for the Pats and that's it...

so..yea, I've reached the end of the line. But, luckily there's twitter and FB and a bunch of other places that I can constantly keep people aware of what a donkey Kraft has been for 16-17 years...!!

5. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll commiserate over a nice cigar!!

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I would support this forum being closed.

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you would. Your: Club: (is) Montreal Impact (and your)
    Foe: (is) New England Revolution :rolleyes:

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    because my hometown club pushed me away with two hands

EDIT: Correction: They turned they back and scoffed at me.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer is not compulsary, but I think the part of sports fandom I like the most is the losing.

I guess I need to explain this a little more. I like winning. I like knowing that my team has won. I like cheering goals and touchdowns and home runs, I like throwing streamers at parades as a trophy is marched down the streets of Boston. I like calling my friends from college to mock that the Jets didn't make the playoffs, that the Astros can't build a Bullpen, that the Penguins are the Ice Colts.

But there's something about losing. It's a unique situation, it really is. I care, it's the only way I can be excited by a man in a blue shirt kicking a ball passed a line guarded by men in white shirts. I pour actual emotion into it. And it's likely that I'm not alone. But I don't need sports to be excited about things. I get a raise, discover a new beer I enjoy, hear a great song or album for the first time, read an amazing book. I can get excited about those things.

I can't, however, be disappointed. The things that disappoint me, the things I get upset about, all have an actual impact on my life. Losing a job, a significant other, being passed over for a promotion, god-forbid having a loss in my family or circle of friends.

Losing a Cup final or drawing at home against Chivas will never equal the emotional discord of any of those things, but there's something enjoyable about that kind of misery. Something truly unique about pouring your heart into a 19-0 Season, or a 3-0 lead to the Flyers, a 3 run lead in Game 7 of the ALCS the Bottom of the 8th with Pedro on the mound and a trip to the World Series in the balance.

Let me tell you, each time these things happened, I was crushed. It sucked. I drank too much, I swore too loud. But y'know what, after the hangover subsided, it was just a game. The players wearing the color shirt I was also wearing didn't put the ball across the line or in the hoop or in the goal or in the bleachers as much as the other team. I'll live, I'll move on.

That's the real joy of being a Sports fan. The winning only works if it's tied just as emotionally to the losing. I'm a Revs fan, and it sucks. We blow late-game leads, we don't re-sign good players, we keep the dregs around for years. We draft poorly, we don't sign internationals, we've never gone out and got a DP. We ignore competitions we can win to focus on competitions we can't. Our coach sucks, our GM sucks, our FO sucks, our owner doesn't care. We play with gridiron lines in an empty stadium. We lose.

We lose, and it's wonderful

10. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Those who are in favor of closing this forum should do their part and never post again.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone who was unhappy with the Revs stopped posting, there would be three, maybe four people left. That's just not enough to sustain a forum. Hell there are more contributors than that in the Shalke 04 thread which averages 2, maybe 3 posts a day.

It wouldn't be forum worthy.

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    lol I see what you are trying to do!!!!!!

13. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be in favor of remounting the forum as a subcategory in MLS: Expansion.

14. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I didn't write that people who are unhappy with the Revs should stop posting, only those that want the forum closed. It's inconsistent for someone to want the forum closed and yet still continue to post in the forum.

15. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok everyone.....keep calm and carry on......I will never stop going to revs game, because it gives me about ten reasons to sit outside my mini van drinking beer during the spring and summer, without my wife bitching at me...I have accepted the lovable loser, bag on the head wearing nature of our team....It also allows me the chance to become irrationally angry at something other then my 13 year old.....therefore it is therapeutic in a sense!

For every new england patriots, there must be a cincinatti bengals.....for every new york yankees there must be a cleveland indians with a set of fans dressed as sitting bull, banging a big drum while swiggin milwaukees best getting a suntan in the bleachers!......lets face it, we are no different then the sons of geronimo. Our team could be just as effective if it hired a coach named buttermaker, a striker named kelly lee, and a goalie named engleberg.....the only thing that would make it better is if we could have "chicos bail bonds" as a jersey sponsor.

so to you all i say, keep the forum running, and may we all continue to avoid any sort of reponsibilty for a bunch of nights while drinking beer in a parking lot....while screaming "let them play" from the fort!!!!

17. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Revs aren't the Bengals or Indians of MLS, that should probably go to San Jose. The Indians had the longest sellout streak in MLB history until the Sox broke it. The Bengals have had decent years, making the playoffs a couple times over the last ten years, and at least trying to bring in some decent players. There is no equivalent to the Revs in all of professional sports. No matter how many bad teams you can think of, I don't think any of them are as negligently run as the Revs. We have an owner who most likely can't name even a quarter of his roster, doesn't really understand the sport, and has provided little to no financial backing to acquire players. We're an embarrassment, easily the single worst franchise in American professional sports.

18. teamdayton32

teamdayton32 Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Whats with the hating of Ohio pro sports teams? I kid, we Bengals fans are so used to a poorly run organization that we actually want our owner to pack up his bags and leave and hope and pray someone else will take his place. I feel for you Revs fans, its like Kraft is to the MLS what Mike Brown is to the NFL! They don't give two shits about their fans and only see dollar signs running their fans morale into the ground. Sooner or later fans get fed up with it. (Look at the attendance for the Bengals this year)

19. teamdayton32

teamdayton32 Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You clearly don't follow the Bengals or Mike Brown that much! This entire statement could be referring to them instead of Kraft. :D Bengals fans are some of the most tortured professional sports fans in history!

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time you made the playoffs?

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, as I was reading that post, I was thinking the same thing. The Bungals are run like the Revs. I believe they're the only team without a scouting department in the NFL.

22. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say keep the forum open, but lets keep all the usual "Rev's suck, Kraft Sucks, we all suck, lets get drunk" in one thread. It would make for much less redundant forum reading. I say close the Revolution all together.

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Then there would only be one thread

24. Beoh

Beoh New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Marblehead, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't post here often and I find that I visit less and less for two reasons:

1) Most of the news that is collected and posted into new Topics here is easily accessible elsewhere (twitter-rss feeds)

2) Despite the news and general revs chatter being available elsewhere, I would read this forum for the discussion that followed any new revs development. I am fairly new to the sport and it was nice to read the opinions of a more knowledgeable group of people, and others counterpoints.

Now, it seems that most new posts are followed by one side of the "Hopeless vs. Hopeful" brigade claiming that each new article or event is just another example of why their chosen side is correct. Once in a while someone makes a good point or attempts to discuss the issue, but it's lost in the infighting.

I need to admit that I have been caught up in that fight myself, since undoubtedly someone will find the need to dig through my post history and quote me, contradicting my current view.

Don't close the forum, lets just stop all the shit posting.

25. teamdayton32

teamdayton32 Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To answer your question, this year. However, we have had 3 playoff seasons in the last 22 years, and we lost in the first round every year. Those also happen to be our only 3 seasons with a record above .500 in the same time-frame. I know it sounds stupid of me to denigrate the team I love but they call us the Bungles for a reason. I feel like the revs are our mirror franchise. :rolleyes: