Harrison Stadium - The continued rumours of my demise..

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by swedcrip34, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Re: Harrison Stadium - The rumours of my demise..

very little mention of soccer here, though Codey remembers to list it
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/111319503649760.xml

interesting quotes
    "They accuse him of pulling strings behind the backs of acting Gov. Richard Codey and sports authority Chairman Carl Goldberg; fudging the financial projections of the proposed deal in an effort to undermine it; and exerting undue influence for a state employee who is supposed to serve at the pleasure of the governor.

"Carl Goldberg said he and the governor can't do a deal where George Zoffinger is complaining in the background," said Joe Shenker, a lawyer for the Giants. "I'm repeating him verbatim." "

also
    http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/izenberg/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1113111065125240.xml
    "on the road to Harrison"

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh wonderful, Zoffinger, Goldberg, and Codey can't even agree among themselves. I don't see how you can negotiate a deal when one side can't even decide what it wants. Ugh.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think now it'sa just a matter of waiting Zoff out. Maybe they'll oust him.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"For years, the memory of an opposing defensive back scooping up a fumble and scampering for the winning touchdown during the final seconds of what seemed like a certain victory for the Giants haunted the storied franchise.

That was back in 1978, when the Giants lost to Philadelphia in what is widely considered the low point of the team's history. "

That was Herm Edwards, now coach of the Jets, who was the "opposing defensive back". I suppose the sports writer didn't know that.

5. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Futterman's not a sportswriter.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Hopefully Thomas is right, because the key here is that those three guys aren't one side. Zoffinger is like Leon, playing for his own team.

[​IMG]

The problem is, Zoffinger doesn't seem likely to actually go until after Codey does, if even then. So the question is, can they can work around him?

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

After reading the articles.

So the acting Governer. Mr Codey really wants these deals done and of course old Zoffinger is the one holding up and throwing road blocks against everyone. If the NJSEA is runned by the state doesn't that mean the Governer has some authority to over rule Zoffinger or something.

This piece of garbage is and always has been the problem. At least the Giants are willing to give them the damned money to build that new state of the art NFL Multi purpose stadium. But Zoffinger is acting like a old man who is angry at himself because he is too forgetful. What an absolute joke. No wonder everyone including myself hates the NJSEA.

They probably have mismanaged the funds to what was really needed for the Meadowlands to either fix or to build. They had no hockey this year. Only the Nets playing, 16 football games (Home Games for the Jets & Giants) & now the Metro.

We can't stay in there. Too damned big. But Zoffinger probably is playing some stupid game trying to keep the Metro here so the new stadium will be in the meadowlands for us and not in Harrison. This damned lightrail train line they are screaming about and having a wet dream about isn't going to be here till after this damned Xanadu shopping mall project is going to be completly built.

That's why there have been so many delays. The Meadowlands are either low on cash which should be impossible or they are broke and that makes them a real joke in the Sports and Entertainment business. If they have spent money on certain personal things and wasted it to no end, they deserve to lose all the sports teams including the NY Giants. The only thing they will have is the racetrack with an empty Giants Stadium and there little sparkling Xanadu shopping mall.

Zoffinger is an idiot.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

They were broke when he got there and aren't anymore, and that's a big part of the problem--Zoffinger is extremely proud of himself for putting the accounts in the black, figures he knows how to keep them there, and wants to defend his reputation (or, to put it less congenially, his ego).

9. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ

If Zoff is doing such a great job, why are all pro sports teams looking to leave the Meadowlands????

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because he's the only person at the NJSEA not willing to give state subsidies to sports teams. Look at the hundreds of millions of dollars that NY is willing to throw at the Jets and Yankees for stadiums that neither the state nor the city will own -- Zoff would never, ever agree to those deals. And if that means that the teams leave, so be it. It's not like the NJSEA is profitable now anyway.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, it's not all Zoffinger's fault the teams want to leave. The Jets have wanted their own stadium for a while. The Nets were bought by idiot Bruce Rattner for the express purpose of moving them to Brooklyn and letting him profit from that. Sharpe James wants to (and will) build an arena for the Devils. And of course the MetroStars want Harrison.

That being said, is it possible that Goldberg and Zoffinger are playing good cop / bad cop?

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Actually, best I can tell, it is like that. NJSEA has turned a debt into a surplus, and it isn't coming from tax dollars, so. . .

My statement would be "Zoff is doing a 'great job' because currently, NJSEA making money off the teams, rather than the reverse, which is how it works everywhere else. That's also why they want to leave."

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's an operating profit now, but debt repayments on CAA and the GS renovations leave the NJSEA with a net loss every year.

I'd be very curious to see which teams are profitable for the NJSEA and which are not. I know they lose money on the Nets & Devils leases; not sure about the others. It would be hard to believe that they don't make a mountain of money off the NFL teams, given rent and parking costs.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

I'm almost certain your right. One of the articles in this thread made it wound like they made serious money on the Giants (and presumably Jets, though I don't think the article referenced it). And just contrast the stalling tactics wrt to the Giants vs. the barely bothering to notice the Nets are leaving.

15. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey

I would think they make more money off the Jets than the Giants because the Jets have a less favorable lease, hence them wanting to move.

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All this continues to be waay depressing....

17. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Yankees are going to build the new stadium with their own money. The city and state will provide infrastruture improvements, just like they do for any other business.

People tend to forget that all businesses with clout get breaks, either tax or land and sometimes both.

18. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

Old thread closed on size, but you can find it here if you need it for reference.

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And those "infrastructure improvements" are going to cost $400 million. And the Mets have been guaranteed the same treatment -- $400 million. And the Jets infrastructure will cost $600 million before you add in the cost to expand the 7 line to Javits. And the Nets will get $150 million in infrastructure improvements in Brooklyn. That's $1.55 billion for four sports teams. Find me another private non-sports business that gets $400 - 600 million from the state or city for anything.

20. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Giants news, warning, this is NFL news
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/1113369179193520.xml
    zoff now supports the Giants getting a new stadium
    "At the governor's urging, I have agreed to go along with a transaction and bring any deal the governor reaches to the board of the sports authority for a vote," Zoffinger said. "My intention right now is to concentrate on completion of Xanadu, bringing rail service to the sports complex and building concert and racing business."

but that concert business competes with the propesed Harrison stadium ...

the Giants might wanna get Zoff's support in writing

I'm sure Metros would be welcome to play in the new Giants stadium ... :)

21. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ I can think of 4-5 in NC alone.

22. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Zoff's power eroding? Let's hope so.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Almost any new auto plant that's been erected in the USA since 1990. Probably Boeing's relocation from Seattle...

The actual number is never the problem. It's the rate of return. Governments make their revenue on money circulating through various taxable channels, and most proposals of these kinds justify their return to the local government based upon the increase in property, sales and income taxes. In Georgia we're beginning to use modeling software that suggests how much a government can afford to spend on such capital improvements before the investment becomes a true hand out. Shame on the local governments that aren't savvy enough and armed with the resources to verify the numbers offered by business applicants.

24. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I read that Article in the Bergen Record. Zoff was forced to agree with it. He wasn't a happy camper. He said "I guess I'm drinking out of the Kool Aid now"

Zoffinger. go and cry in the swamp for all I care. Let Metro have Harrison.

25. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    You know what. I have no problems with what Zoffinger is doing. Fcuk the Nets and the Devils, the state was losing money on them. If Sharpe, that moron wants to build a stadium for the Devils, go right ahead. The Nets? Nobody cared for them, so let them leave.

If I was Zoffinger though, I would do one thing, and that would be force the Giants to convert to "NJ" and then promptly agree to whatever they wanted. The fans are all suburban anyway, that's their fanbase, and everyone knows that.

As for the Jets, let them drop teh 1.4 billion or watever it's going to take total (800 million for the stadium, and as of right now 400 million and counting for the land). They are inept anyway.

The worst part about the NJSEA is that they couldn't even set up a telephone betting system at the racetrack until a year or two ago. They are so inept, it's pathetic. They blow. I can't believe my taxpayer dollars float these guys.

Hopefully Xanadu brings some money into the state.

But you know what really sucks? Our federal taxes go to those regressive southern states, that don't tax. Screw this. This country is wack.

I need a drink and a smoke...long day.