Eric Wynalda's "Howard Beale moment": FSC employees rant against MLS at the NSCAA Convention

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Wynalda's epic NSCAA Convention seminar
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/137325018.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm starting to wonder, with Garber now having publicly stated that MLS accepted the deal with NBC even though it was for less money than Fox offered, if that is the driving force behind Wynalda's recent tirades against the league... I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but maybe his bosses even put him up to it... is he now the attack dog for a scorned Fox against MLS?

I agree with this guy: "I would suggest that what's holding us back is our inferiority complex." - Will Kuhns of MLS in the room. "A culture of self-loathing."

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking Charlie Sheen more than Howard Beale.

Winning!

3. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The word "epic" is quite often overused.

Not in this case. This was truly epic.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't always agree with him, I disagree with him here, but the guy took a 60% pay cut to come back to America to help start MLS up. These GA kids coming out of college these days make more than he did in MLS. He deserves some respect. He is the main reason I got drawn into following San Jose as a kid (my parents are not soccer people nor are they sports fans and I had no idea who Dayak and Doyle were before MLS as I did not follow the Blackhawks). The same is true for a lot of 20-something SJ fans I know. I would write this off as more of a "crazy uncle that you love" moment. I respect the guy a lot.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda reminds me of the Jim Carrey character from Me, Myself & Irene - he's generally unable to comprehend the world around him nor understand the consequences of his actions due to his deficient mental state. He's like the 10-year old who gets worked up telling a story and starts adding embellishments and falsehoods in there to make it sound better.

I'll wait for Garber to confirm that David Hill of FOX told him he'd put him on the network if we just moved to the Fall-Spring calendar. Yeah.

Ahhh . . . So that's how he tailed John Harkes to the motel

6. strangepup

strangepup Member

Mar 17, 2007
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Wynalda is wrong then I don't want to be right. Love the guy and we need guys like Eric to help open up the discussion about soccer development in our nation. We have people holding us back and we need to move forward.

7. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between an open discussion and just being an ignorant idiot.

I'm don't think an open discussion is on Wynalda's agenda.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is he moving anything forward? Even if he DOES mean well, his ideas fall somewhere between "utterly moronic" and "showing a complete lack of understanding of complex issues" and are better suited for the "You be The Don" forum than respectable television broadcasts and soccer conventions.

Who is "holding us back"? What does that even mean? Can you name these people? What are they doing to hold us back? This sounds like empty blowhard nonsense right out of Wynalda's playbook:
    Yeah Will Kuhns of MLS is part of the problem, brilliant.

And what is with people having this "we need guys to open up the discussion" attitude to all manner of foot-in-mouth comments from those of Brad Friedel to Preston Zimmerman to Eric Wynalda?
    I'm all for discussion too, but I do have some minimal standards....

Perhaps I'm wrong about Wynalda being FSC's attack dog because MLS spurned their offer, but the only other explanation I can come up with is that he sees an "idiot vacuum" in the US soccer commentary scene and wants to be our Jim Rome / Stephen A Smith / Skip Bayless. I'd like to think US soccer fans are too intelligent for that, but having read all the crap that gets posted here I should know better.....

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yes, they are the people who spout stupid shit without looking at basic facts. People who have more access to microphones than brain cells. People who continue to feed our inferiority complexes and act like we need to do things a certain way because that's how they do them in europe.

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    So Wynalda takes Sinaloan drug money to act as a "scout/consultant" for Murcielagos FC and try to pick off SoCal Mexican talent and send it southward in some official capacity--which of course he proved completely incapable of doing, thank the Lord--and now his main concern is winning the World Cup, except the reason we won't do it is because we don't have Pro/Rel or mirror the Continental European calendar.

Hmmm.

Too much of this "big picture" Jackson Pollock thinking; I'd rather hear 45 minutes on how important win bonuses can be to make more MLS games competitive to the final whistle backed up with Eric's Bundesliga anecdotes on the topic. That's a legitimate point to push, and something even MLS players frequently admit would make a difference (to wit, Myers and Besler).

Those more competitive games, in turn, would forge better players. Which in turn could help the US on the national team level.

But the rest of his ranting pantload of mythologies should go back to the sphincter from which they came.

11. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I heard Wynalda donated money to Craig James (killed 5 hookers) Senate campaign. (Google it.)

I don't see why discussing changing the schedule of MLS is such a forbidden topic? I don't why anything he talked about should be off the table. These are ideas that are proven to work all around the world. We would "utterly moronic" not to consider them.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Putting the off in off-season.

At the very least it appears he "cares" about the league.

But if anything should be taken away from this story/thread, it is not the comments of Wynalda, but rather those of Will Kuhns.

13. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the NSCAA taped the session, what's the over/under on how long it will take Fox to drop him?

14. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad: Change that title!
    A "Howard Beale" moment would imply that he is right. Make it "Charlie Sheen" moment.
    :mad:

15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    It is easy to discuss it. However, the only people that have the relevant data on the economic side of things is MLS. It is their job to know what times of the year they make more money and how that effects their overall financial well being. Wynalda thinks that the soccer will improve with a schedule change (no evidence for that) and that MLS will make more money (no evidence for that). His idea is to have (as Jasonma pointed out in another thread) basically a 31 week season to fit in the same number of games as we are this year in the 39 weeks this year. It also ignores the unknown factor of if you the average American fan will pay attention to a league that stops for 2 to 3 months. No other sport in America does that so you have no evidence either way.

Basically Wynalda wants MLS to totally change a formula that has, to this point, proven fairly successful (especially the past few years) for a bunch of uncertainty. That would be like me telling you after you bought a nice new house (which you have a mortgage on) and a new car (which you have payments on) that you should change your career to something else because it may make your life better (though I have no actual evidence for that and it may cause you to go bankrupt).

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    He's said something with which his bosses at Fox would disagree, or would cause them to end Wynalda's employment?

I'm assuming Wynalda and Rob Stone will be the studio hosts for FOX's (broadcast) presentation of Arsenal-ManU on 1/22/12.

And as for the titling of this thread -- this is more of a "Preston Zimmerman moment," as it won't have significant impact on anything (beyond the life of this thread).

17. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    As much as I respect Eric as a player & analyst of soccer games I really don't care who puts MLS games on the tv. Actually with the switch to NBC I will see my direct tv bill go down which is good for me. Also NBC has the potential to reach more people for their system reaches 2x as many people which can bring in more fans. More fans will mean more money for MLS which will mean better players will be drawn in. In turn this will be mean that level fo play might be as good as EPL in a few years. In retrospect this is like the old AFL trying to catch up to the old NFL in the early 1960's. By the 1970's they were equal to each other.

18. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    As much as I respect Eric as a player & analyst of soccer games I really don't care who puts MLS games on the TV. Actually with the switch to NBC I will see my direct tv bill go down which is good for me. Also NBC has the potential to reach more people for their system reaches 2x as many people which can bring in more fans. More fans will mean more money for MLS which will mean better players will be drawn in. In turn this will be mean that level of play might be as good as EPL in a few years. In retrospect this is like the old AFL trying to catch up to the old NFL in the early 1960's. By the 1970's they were equal to each other.

19. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd never stand in front of an audience with a microphone at a convention and talk about what my boss says in meetings...especially meetings I didn't attend.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Maybe.

It certainly will be interesting to see what the ramifications are, if any, for these comments.

Again, I'd find it tough to believe that his current employers would take issue with what he said and the forum at which he said it. (maybe I'm incorrect in that supposition.)

21. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don Garber saves MLS again.

heres my idea for a winter sched

22. o Sigma o

o Sigma o Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The Suncoast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he really said that then not even a Picard double face palm is enough to express the dissatisfaction.

I would seriously love to have what he and those execs over at Fox are taking into their bodies. Besides, it's not like Fox ever cared about MLS when the NFL wasn't going on to begin with... Wait, they do? Then that explains the lack of money being poured into production during the non NFL months. If Fox really cared about the league, then why was it that the games were not on Fox/FX more accessible networks, but was relegated to FSC or FSN with FSN re-airs being butchered* to high hell?

*Commercials interjected while the game is playing (missing 30-180 seconds of the game) along with missing 20-40 minutes of game time due to it being completely cut out and claiming, "Due to time constraints". It's in a 2 hour time slot and they're claiming "time constraints"? They NEVER pull that crap with the EPL/UEFA CL broadcasts in the same allocated time slot...

23. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True story about my brush with the greatness that is Eric Wynalda...

A few years ago, Eric was calling a match for ESPN in San Jose between the USMNT and China. I'd just finished interviewing Bob Bradley about his first match as head coach and here comes Eric walking behind me and up to the security rope where a large security guard was keeping watch. The guard refused to let him without a press pass or clearance badge, despite Eric telling him repeatedly that he works for ESPN. Hearing this, I turned and said, "hey you're Eric Wynalda!" and introduced myself. We shook hands, and he looks back at the guard who then unhooks the rope and finally lets him in...

The end.

24. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more Wynalda talks, the more he strikes me as the equivalent to a BigSoccer poster who just happens to have a microphone because he was good enough to play in the German second division almost 20 years ago.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Let's not generalize, belittle or marginalize the concept of "a BigSoccer poster."

Whether we like it or not, the guy who scored the first goal in league history will likely always have an MLS microphone of sorts.

(Thanks a lot Jeff Agoos.)