Review: MLS Year end Review: Sporting Kansas City

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Dec 12, 2011.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No its not the Wizards there Sporting now!

And boy are they Sporting a great SSS, and where did all these fans come from? :p KC games packed? yes.... !!!:p

But for real it was a great year for Sporting Kansas City, who went all out for there new SSS and there new logo and new direction.

And that new direction has us thinking 2012 will be even better.

The East is weak we all know that but after all those road games KC made Livestrong park a palace and won the east with 51 points. Despite the early season jitters the team showed very well and went into the post season a good candidate to win the cup.

Graham Zusi has a career year, Kei Kamara, Teal Bunbury, and Omar Bravo shared the scoring and let it be known that no other team in MLS has the fire power of Sporting. You get goals from everywhere!

With a more balanced schedule of home games at the early part of the season Sporting looks in good shape to become a true contender for MLS cup next season.

I for one think with the players he has around him and a coach who knows how to deal with the egos, see Omar Bravo, Bobby Convey will flourish in KC next season.

Paulo Nagamura is a solid MLS guy where ever he goes. C. J. Sapong is a good player for the future. Jimmy Nielsen has resigned with the club...

With Convey and Nagamura the midfield gets a little more balanced... KC has a lot of forwards and don't be surprised if another one or even two on the roster get traded.

KC could use a defender of international pedigree to man that back line. KC can also try and use a DP spot to get a creative midfielder. Jeferson was a mid season solution, now KC must look for the right solution...

Whats the deal with Omar Bravo? I think he will stay on... He likes KC and his coach likes him... Yes he has an ego but that Acapulco sun will heal his body as well as that sour taste in his mouth of missing much of game 2, something that might have doomed KC but in Vermes we trust right? (on a side note its good to see Bravo cares). It would be wise to make amends between the two, which I think they have, Bravo is a hit in KC and his coach nows it. A much more healthy Bravo next season and maybe a little more determined and we could have the second coming of GBS... Bravo has the supporting cast.

In the end KC needs a defender and a creative DP number 10, they already made 2 very important pick ups in Convey and Pablo nagamura. Their roster is solid and Peter Vermes has done wonders in balancing it out.

Outlook: If KC can pick up two more solid signings with what they have now they are MLS cup contenders.

PD: Aurélien Collin was a great pick up as well but by defender I mean a VOICE at the back.. A Diego Lugano like defender something MLS teams lack.

2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb Heineman has already tweeted in recent weeks that we have a new Spanish DP that will be officially announced in January. Probably will be that #10 you mentioned. I would be very surprised if we see a new starting CB come in (but we could use some depth in that area)....Vermes seems pretty happy with Collin/Besler in the back and Cesar in front of them.

Something is going to be announced about Bravo's future very soon (supposedly TODAY, per Robb's Twitter).

3. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Bravo is gone and I really truly hopefully pray that the DP number 10 is not Guti....

One great DP goes enter another pensioner... :(

Bravo did very well in KC why on earth let him go? Guti WITH Bravo could have been interesting.

But Guti over 2 DPs..... Sour.... Vermes must really by high on the forwards, but then again they have 0 notoriety outside MLS fans. Bravo = For real.

Guti = Retirement league.

HOPEFULLY KC and Vermes surprise me....

But then again Bravo named player who gave a damn... DP from Spain nobody knows about (If not Guti) tough sell....

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Guti rumor has been based on nothing than one person seeing we were after a Spanish DP, saw Guti was having issues and connected those two points. Thats it, it's like going from 1 to 50

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop reading MLS Rumors.

Jesus, find a solid source about Guti coming to KC before obsessing about it. What's your obsession with notoriety? Since when do players need notoriety?

You do realize that we are only a month into the off-season, right? That several player acquisitions can be made before March 10th, right?

Why are you making assumptions that we would be acquiring Guti over 2 Designated Players? Even if we were acquiring Guti where is your source saying we will not be getting a second? Not that it matters, you dont need DPs to win in MLS.

Not coming here.

Besides the first part of this sentence making no sense, what is a tough sell? Bravo was one player on one of the deepest teams in the league and we already have a replacement in Convey if we do not acquire anyone else. I am not sure what you think needs to be sold?

You seem to have this obsession with designated players and them having to have "notoriety". They are soccer players. The only thing that matters it that they can play soccer and do it very well. It doesnt matter how many people have heard of them. A name alone does not give a player a good performance.