News: Revs to Announce New Head Coach Tuesday... (from 2011, Heaps hire)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Nov 14, 2011.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the booth to the pitch, Jay Heaps is your new New England Revolution Head Coach.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/blog/2011/11/revolution_to_n.html

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might as well close this tread already,,,,might get pretty ugly

3. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Look at the bright side....he's out of the broadcast booth....

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shock, even for the Revs

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true but they will probably hire some stock boy from the proshop to take his place

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More proof that this FO has no clue

7. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Nothing at all against Heaps who I liked as a player, but seriously....what in the world are they thinking?

The only justification I could possibly think of is all the other candidates turned them down but I'm sure that didn't happen.

Hard to believe the same organization that runs the Patriots allows this train wreck of an operation to continue acting incompetently.

8. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How funny would it be if Burns began a dual role of GM/Color commentator? You know, to save $$$$.

Mikey Mike: "Listen, Brad, I always knew Phelan was a playmaker at heart, and I think you're all seeing how right I was."

Brad: "Well, according to the stats, he has more fouls committed then forward passes this year. Does that concern you?"

Mikey Mike: "..........You know, it was really Jay's idea"

Brad: "But I'm sure after we give him some time and he settles down there he can be the next Roalandinho!"

9. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Asst. coach OK, but head coach?

Once again the FO is following rather than leading.

The new era of young ex players with no coaching experience immediately jumping into head coaching positions is a fad and won't last b/c these guys don't have the experience. Ralston has done it right by going in as asst. coach with aspirations to move up the ranks.

Heaps is in for a world of hurt. If Nicol couldn't keep the guys in line how can they expect Jay Heaps to do so?

I'd love to see Heaps attempt to discipline Shalrie.

I see it as a another weak attempt by Kraft to show improvements in the club.

Now go out and get Jay Heaps some quality players. At least give the guy a chance!

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing how posters here know how Heaps will do as a Head Coach before he's taken the job. :rolleyes:

11. mdelli

mdelli Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Seattle
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So triangle offense and box-n-1 zone D. Nice!

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse....

Bush said it best "There's an old saying in Rev land — I know it's in Texas, probably in Rev land — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    At the end of the day, if they back him up with a $10M salary budget, Heaps is better than Gary Smith with a $3.3M budget.

For me, that's the other shoe that has to fall here--the announcement of a MAJOR salary budget increase because that's how strongly they want their guy, Jay Heaps, to succeed.

However, if no ownership announcement of serious financial support accompanies the Heaps hire, then we're looking at a dismal situation for years to come and a probable hire based on Heaps being cheap.

Heaps--even if he were a good coach--we'd never know it because Burns could keep him stocked in useless acquisitions.

Only FO money can go over Burns' head to say "we're going to give Heaps some serious players to work with."

13. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a serious note, they better get Twellman into the booth at least.

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Bill Belichick got hit by a bus tomorrow morning, would Kraft hire someone who had NEVER COACHED BEFORE IN HIS LIFE to head the Patriots?

Why do you accept that for his soccer team? I'm sorry, I'm a fan, but don't spit in my face and tell me its raining.

LOL @ New England Revolution

17. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does that great chant go again? Oh I got it.

Stoooopid, stupid revs
    Stupid, stupid revs
    Stupid, stupid revs
    Stupid, revolution!

Thanks,
    -Beau

18. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Let's see....professional coaching experience...none
    Foreign contacts....nope
    Leadership qualities......Never quite saw him as the team leader when he played
    Ability to teach the game and develop young talent...?????
    Knows the league....we'll give him that one
    Ability to create some buzz among the fan base and get the fans excited about the future......His hiring will probably do the opposite......

Heaps is about as uninspiring a choice as you could come up with - again with no disrespect to him personally.

It's mind boggling....

19. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I know about Jay Heaps ability as a head coach. Nothing.

Here's what everyone else here knows about Jay Heaps ability as a head coach. Nothing.

No, he's not Gary Smith or Steve Ralston or Dunga or whoever else you might have wanted, but can we at least save the negativity for when the games start? I mean, would it kill people to give the guy the benefit of the doubt before the season starts?

Good luck Jay. I hope the team gives you the support you need.

20. WintonRufer

WintonRufer New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Perhaps it would be good if he had been an assistant, but the reflexive negativity toward Heaps lacks any foundation--the truth: we don;t know how he will do, but that is also true of most coaches. Good luck Jay.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay for dump and chase!!!! More Route One football!!! More incessant bitching at the refs!!
    Can't wait til opening day 2012! Positivity everyone! Koolaid!! Ohhhhhhh yeah!!

22. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all hope he does well, that doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea.

This team needed new blood and experienced soccer executives and coaches with top flight experience. Instead the only thing that's happened is people were promoted from the inside into positions they seem totally unqualified for. Bilello & Burns were bad at their old jobs, Heaps has never coached.

Coming off two terrible seasons, these "moves" do not inspire confidence that Bob and Jonathan Kraft are committed to this team's success. It does, for me (and I don't think I'm alone), re-enforce the idea that things in Revland are run on the cheap.

23. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. :eek: They sunk even lower than my original projection.

They predictably stay in-house, hire the announcer???, and obviously, save money.

And after the expected 0-7 start, B & B can resume the worldwide search and likely get another promotion.

Who wants to bet that every other desired candidate said "No players, No budget, No stadium, No way."

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right - hiring the booth analyst as head coach is ..uh..frugal. This is like a bad high school sports movie.

25. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Jay Heaps my first choice no, but I agree with this post. Lets give the guy a chance before calling it failure. As for those saying he has no experience well every coach in every pro team at some point in time had no coaching experience, so you need to start somewhere. For Heaps it starts here.