MLS Cup 2011 pre/PBP/post [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the marbles on the line, lots of folks have LA already having won the game, and yet they're going to play it anyway, so here we go!

Sunday 20 November 2011

Houston at Los Angeles, 9:00 pm EST @ Home Depot Center; ESPN, Galavision, TSN2

As always, keep it friendly here in the neutral PBP thread.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... Two Teams, One Cup ...

Bad news, Houston! I'm backing the Dynamo in this one.

As such, I am at this time offering Los Angeles a grudging and spiteful congratulations for winning a third MLS Cup.

(But before you all go off gloating, just remember that you still don't have as many MLS Cups as my United!)

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The what? The MLS is still playing? :p

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going up for MLS Cup (staying at Residence Inn in Torrance), but I'm officially neutral. My first, second, and third choice teams are not part of MLS Cup.

Might have to score knit caps from both teams.

5. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Chad Barrett dislocated his ankle and will miss the final, for those who missed that news.

Will be interesting to see how much playing time Robbie Keane gets Tuesday against Estonia. They don't really need him out there at all (up 4-0 on aggregate) and Ireland has Kevin Doyle back from suspension, a guy who would likely be a more effective 'kill the game' type with his tireless running and ability to hold up the ball.

6. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Keane is on the bench to start the game and then he comes in late to make sure his goal celebration is in top notch form for MLS Cup.

7. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium looks empty..:cool::cool:

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read they've "brought in extra capacity" at the Home Depot for this one. What does that mean? Besides the extra seating on the grassy knoll below the scoreboard, I'm not aware of any extra capacity arrangements at the HDC.

I guess we'll find out.

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The place is going to be jam-packed. They've put in temporary seating and also sold standing-room-only tickets. The demand is so great, people are selling their tickets for up to 10X face value....

I'm getting there nice and early...

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not this G. It's strictly nail bitin' time.

And speaking of G's...

... in honor of the game being played in LA, and seeing as we're still a few days away, allow to me dust off this special version. Nothing could be more SoCal. (NSFW)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4AC5GnS70g"]Gin And Juice RARE VERSION - YouTube[/ame]

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand there will be small grandstands built above the corners on the TV side of the stadium (i.e. above the Riot squad in 138 and above the NE corner.

Not sure where else they are cramming people but I heard they added 4,000 to the 2,500 (or so grass seats) and the 27,000 regular seats. So we might have 33k+ for the final. Announced as 27,000.

Those extra seats will make up for all the previous MLS Cups that had empty seats and were announced at 27,000. :)

12. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    A television perspective question. What percentage of sponsor's tickets are empty during the game?

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the ESPN haters, I just saw a full commercial for MLS Cup on ESPN, during the MNF pregame, not 5 minutes before Monday Night Football itself starts.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Dom might as well start Carlo Costly alongside Ching.

That would be--could be--a tough matchup for De la Garza. If Costly shows.

Calen Carr is nothing special and there's always that 1% chance that Costly sees the H on his jersey and thinks he's playing for Honduras and lights the place up.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the "27,000 regular seats" included when the grassy knoll was filled up, and that in reality there were more like 25,000 regular seats in HDC proper. Am I wrong about that?

In any case, a packed to the brim HDC should make a for a great spectacle.

16. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im going to root for the Cup to be decided by some colossal Ref mistake.... one that leaves massive butthurt thru the Internet...

That or a meteor... Im not fussy about which one :D

17. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AMA's and Eagles-Giants for the second consecutive year on tv as the same time :(:mad:

18. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's playing at the Halftime Show?

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Supposedly there's less than 27k actual seats anyway.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Let me tell you something I learned recently. Rooting for a meteor is more disappointing than rooting for Chivas USA.

21. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So another OT thriller?:D

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    My understanding was that 27000 was basically the number they tell the Fire Marshal about. When Madrid came through with Zidane, they supposedly squeezed something close to 30000 in there.

23. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I don't disagree with your general thought that the upside of Costly > than the upside of Carr. That being said, Ching and Carr have started to develop an understanding together in terms of making runs off of each other, etc.

I would think that Kinnear continues to tap that to start, but is not afraid to pull the trigger on Costly or Bruin early if needed.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really need to think about the words you choose.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5posU08HjXg"]Best of Tobias Fünke - YouTube[/ame]

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    There are 24,000 seats at the HDC and a lot of boxes. Each box can theoretically hold 19 people, so when a box is sold, they count it as 19 people. In the add it adds up to ~27,000.

I've noticed that the Galaxy has never announced something like 26,500. I have a feeling that they round up a bit.