Intra-Arizona Winter League

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by gantry, Nov 10, 2011.

1. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so I know it isn't MLS, NASL, PDL, or even NPSL, but here is an idea.

FC Tucson is basically a leagueless exhibition team, but they seem to have gained some momentum.

Phoenix Monsoon is more of a marketing push than a real team, but at least they are trying.

Arizona Sahuraros play in the NPSL; what is the point.

Phoenix Pro Soccer may talk to the MLS and NASL, but without an indoor, natural grass, climate controlled stadium, it will never happen.

Part of the problem is that not even hardcore fans are willing to sit in 100+ temps to support a local team during the summer.

Maybe FC Tucson, Phoenix Pro Soccer, and the Monsoon should just form an Intra-Arizona Winter League.

Founding members could be:

FC Tucson
    Phoenix Monsoon
    AZ Sahuraros

Examples of other Teams that could round out this league

Tempe Devils (unofficial ASU men's team)
    The Chandler-Gilbert Union
    FC Glendale
    FC Casa Grande
    FC Mesa

Have them play a regular season Oct-Jan. In Feb they play a tournament to determine an over all league winner. Top 3 teams offer their services to the MLS teams that come here to train in the winter.

Make the games a community event. Encourage people to ride their bike to the game, bring their dog, pack a picnic lunch. Maybe even some tailgating.

This could be done on a modest budget. No paid coaches, no paid players, only people with a love for the game. Use sponsors to cover the cost of kits and travel.

....who knows, it could grow into more.

2. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    I like the outside-the-box thinking. Don't know how feasible this is, but it's creative and we need that here in AZ for soccer.

3. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Monsoon would be a tough team to get in as they have PASL and NPSL sides. However trying to convince a regular routine of friendlies where people show up and some central location (web site) keeps track of it as a league and voila there's the beginnings.

4. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my, where to begin. First, love the idea of a local league. One almost happened this past spring, with teams in Tucson, Phoenix, Prescott, El Paso and California. FC Tucson did in fact play against the Sahuaros, FC Prescott and El Paso, but the league never materialized.

That being said, a spring league such as was contemplated last year intrigues me. It permits clubs to follow their various agendas, i.e. commercial viability and provide a method of assessing interest that would encourage them to pursue higher levels of competition(PDL, etc.).

I think FC Tucson already knows it has strong fan interest and community support. Can't say the same for the Phoenix teams and don't know about the Prescott team.

So much more to talk about. I hope this thread takes off.

5. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. An Oct-Jan schedule for a Division 4 (non-paid) adult team would not compete with the non-existent ASU college team.

Yes. It is basically an adult league, but with a tie in to the MLS winter training.

6. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, both the Phoenix Monsoon and FC Tucson have loftier goals as would an Inter-Arizona Winter League. But we have to start somewhere.

No investor group is going to commit millions to building an indoor, climate controlled, natural grass stadium in an unproven market that (for the time being) is believed to be made up of low income latino fans.

They want to see us prove ourselves with a lower division team first. That simply won't happen in the middle of july in an open air stadium.

We have to start with proving the local market. NASL plays during the summer, so that isn't an option. A PDL team costs about $75K and they play during our dog days too. We need a lower division like USASA where we can make up our own season schedule.

* Make it a community event
    * Must play during good weather
    * Team budget must be affordable
    * Leverage off other winter soccer action like MLS winter training

Either that, or convince a Saudi Prince to foot the bill for an MLS team here in Phoenix.