Best/Favorite USSoccer/MLS podcasts?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by xbhaskarx, Oct 31, 2011.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a link to a podcast in another thread, and that got me thinking about the best podcasts out there related to the US soccer team and/or MLS.

Here is a partial list:

1. ExtraTime Radio (MLS)
    Simon Borg is so bad as an opinion pundit guy that he could get a job at ESPN

2. The Best Soccer Show (North American Soccer Network)
    Relatively new, but quite entertaining so far

3. The Total Soccer Show
    Probably the most thorough analysis

4. SI Soccer Podcast (Sports Illustrated)
    Jen Chang is quite awful and has an annoying voice

5. The American Soccer Show (CSRN)
    At times the main guy sounded like he was reading from a script

6. Soccer Today (ESPN Radio)
    I tried listening to one episode and couldn't finish it

7. Major League Soccer Talk
    I have never listened to this podcast

8. Beyond the Pitch
    I have never listened to this podcast

9. Other?

I listen to the first three regularly, they're all quite good.

Why is "The Straight Red Card" from the BS front page not available as a podcast on iTunes?

Also, favorite podcast app? I am currently using Instacast on my phone...

2. BCorbit

BCorbit Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Something we have been talking about for some time. Our web guy's schedule is beyond full and since he's doing it for free for us it is on his list, but not the biggest priority unfortunately. But it is certainly something we are working on.

3. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    I enjoyed the 'Waiting for Gaetjens' one with Greg Lalas. I think it's kaput now, but I fondly recall listening to the pre-WC show in a bus driving through Poland in 2010 while on vacation. It was entertaining. I unashamedly think both Lalases are a great addition to the US soccer landscape, although I know I'm probably in the minority.

4. o Sigma o

o Sigma o Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The Suncoast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to listen to Jimmy Conrad's podcast before he switched to the iTunes only distribution format. I will sometimes listen to "Soccer Matters", Glenn Davis' radio broadcast, when that is put up on the web. I would say I'm indifferent to ExtraTime Radio since I've only listened to 2 shows of it.

5. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AO podcast, obviously...plus, me and another AODC member have shot out the mouth about doing a podcast as well...maybe one of these days we'll actually drink enough alcohol to do it. ;)

6. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've listened to AO once and it was so terrible that I skipped the first 10 minutes and tried to listen to the rest of it. It wasn't worth another minute of my time. I'm not sure which I like most though. I listen to pretty much all of those regularly minus 7 and 8. SeeingRedNY is awesome btw but they primarily tackle RBNY issues.

You're missing Around the League.

7. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listen to extra time and enjoy it despite how infuriating Simon is at times. Lalas brings balance and levity. Firchau is fine as a moderator and Jason Sagini struggles to articulate things. I enjoy Seeing Red but as arkanian says it is NYRB specific. I, too, find Jen Chang's voice annoying but his insights/substance even more so. I know its not US Soccer but I really enjoy the Football Ramble and the Guardian's Football Weekly Extra.

8. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Greg Lalas. He's funny, fair-minded, and I generally agree with his analyses. So I voted ExtraTime Radio. But to be honest, I've never listened to The Best Soccer Show. The only other soccer podcasts I subscribe to are FC Dallas' (which was cohosted by Bobby Rhine until his death) and the English-language portion of a local Austin show called Futbol en Vivo. I love podcasts, though, so I'll download The Best Soccer Show and check it out.

9. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States