Caleb Porter named US U-23 coach

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by midfieldmadness, Oct 20, 2011.

1. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
  3. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nice to see his commitment to a skillful style of play and player development rewarded.

5. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Only bad thing about that is that the 23's isn't really a full time spot. So he will have limited access/camps with the players to try to get his style engrained within the group. Someone with his style would awesome with the 17s (or even the 20s) who are together each and everyday (or in the 20s case, much more frequently than the 23s). I don't know if he would see that as a step down from what he is doing now, but I think he could churn out some great teams at that level, both in terms of producing quality players and teams that play a style that is pleasing to the eye.

6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm pretty sure he took it because it is a part time job. You have to remember that dinero plays a role in all of this. how many jobs are realistically going to top the 300ish a year he's getting from Akron while also getting whatever his cut is for the U23 team? Cost of living is low, his family lives there, he's a member of country clubs. It would be a step backwards financially to take an MLS job making 400k in an expensive city.

7. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    A lot of what makes Porter so successful is why he'd take the $400k job in the MLS.

8. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    lateral move financially with no job security ? It would take some testicles.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He's very ambitious. It's a matter of when he takes an MLS job, not if.

10. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    If he has some success with the olympic team he would be able to hand pick his job in MLS and also possibly get in a spot where he gets some front office control. Nothing about that is a lateral move. Especially if his end game is to do something with US soccer in a higher role.

Also, you act like if he did go to MLS, and fizzled (which I don't think would happen), that he couldn't get a quality college job.

11. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

I don't think any of us think he would fizzle, it just doesn't seem like a move anytime soon makes sense. If I were Porter, the only teams I'd be interested in taking over are the Sounders, Galaxy, or RSL's of the world, already established teams. I wouldn't want to waste my time cleaning up the mess in New England, for example, but maybe he wants that challenge.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You don't think he'd accept the Red Bulls, for instance, if he was given enough control? (With the Red Bulls, money wouldn't even be an issue.)

With all their resources and that market? Please.

DCU was a mess when they offered him the job and the only - well, biggest - reason he turned it down was because he wanted more control over personnel and assistant coaches and DCU wouldn't give it to him.
    (And given that United is still a mess, perhaps they should have given it to him, but that's a discussion for a different forum.)

Caleb's a Midwestern guy. You think he says no to living and working in Chicago if the terms are right. What about Columbus, which doesn't require much of a move for his family?

Again, the guy is very ambitious. He's gonna go to MLS at some point. And the better he does with the Olympics, the more leverage he'll have to get the control he wants when he does take an MLS job and if he has a good showing in London, you can bet he'll be the first choice for every vacancy from mid-point of next season till the off-season. Don't be surprised if he takes an MLS job shortly after the Olympics.

13. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    AGREED!!!

Also, you think he wouldn't jump at a chance to coach in a soccer mad city like Portland?!?! What about FC Dallas and all of their home grown players. Someone mentioned not being able to get a job for an established team like RSL, lol they were a MESS before they got a good coach to solidify things.

A great deal of this will depend on the success/failures of the qualification and games in the olympics, but if the team does do well, hes gonna be able to find a good location/lots of power/good resources both on and off the field, and make a good sound jump for him.

All of this is predicated on the team doing what they couldn't do 4 years ago, QUALIFY FOR THE OLYMPICS. To accomplish that, the players, much more so than the coach, need to get in the right mentality and accomplish the job.

14. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    They qualified four years ago. Eight years ago they did not.

15. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Like anyone in business, right now he's hot. The whole Akron Soccer is the best and most beautiful college team ever--notion is hot. The fact that US Soccer and MLS has bought into the notion is great for him.

But he knows it won't always be that way. Akron might slip backwards and lose a few more games. Or the program could experience non soccer related problems, who knows? And if that happens, he won't be as popular as he is now (See Jay Vidovich- anyone kocking on his door right now or telling him he's the greatest college coach ever?)

So, Porter should do what every red blooded American would do, cash in as quickly as he can. Because one thing is for sure- it will change.

16. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, got to make hay while the sun is shining.

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Anyone giving him a 10 year contract at 350-400K per ?

18. Fear_the_Roo

Fear_the_Roo New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I'd be willing to bet against you and say that Caleb won't go to the MLS until his contract at Akron is up, if he ever goes. The only place he would leave for is USMNT if they call on him.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And what would you be willing to bet? I'm serious.

20. Fear_the_Roo

Fear_the_Roo New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    So your willing to make a serious bet on an online message board that could possibly take all the way till 2020? lol I admire your confidence.

21. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Nov 17, 2007
    you're talking to Mr. Mibut

22. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    What's another 10 years?