Porter to coach U-23's, Ramos to coach U-20s

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thetank123, Oct 19, 2011.

1. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Pretty self explanatory. Good hires, both.

jas2781 beat me to my own edit. This is uncomfirmed and sprung from Clavijo's tweet. However, I do have it on authority from someone who is pretty well connected that it is true.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  3. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It needs to be said that it has not been officially announced.

The source of the news is Fernando Clavijo.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Caleb Porter? Is he going to leave Akron?

5. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Porter? Caleb Porter?

...What?

6. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, but he's been in several camps and at several matches for the U20's as an assistant - I believe while the college season was in progress. It seems that he, Akron, and USSF have an arrangement.

U23's aren't going to have enough opportunities to get together between now and the summer games that it would interfere with his "day job". And, wouldn't the college season be over by the time the Olympics get here.

Kind of leads me to believe that he won't leave Akron unless he just wants to. Or unless USSF is giving him a year 'round position.

7. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Yeah, the U23's are a part time job that only lasts until the end of the summer. It will allow him to do both. Remember, he just signed a massive contract in dollar terms at Akron, I can't see him leaving any time soon unless a lot of cash is ponied up.

8. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter? Waaaah??

9. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Why are people so surprised by this choice? He was an assistant with the U18's and its pretty obvious he's "the" up and coming young American coach.

10. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason why I said "waaaaaaaaah?" was because I either:
    • Don't know him.
    • Is new to U.S. Soccer coaching.
    • A Random name chosen from somewhere.
    • From a University.
    • Have not seen him coaching at the U-17, U-20 or U-23 level.
    • (Fill in the blank)

11. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    And the most surprising thing: a talented coach.
    Who would expect.

12. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter has created a power house with Akron? Are you familiar with them at all? If you are you shouldn't be suprised.

13. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that's why, Time to Wiki!

14. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow College Soccer too closely (mainly because USC only has a club team) but I've seen Akron play a few times. Also I've read some material on Caleb Porter, about how he's the next big thing and what a great job he's doing at Akron. I was just wondering does he have a defined "style" of coaching? Apparently Klinsmann is trying to establish fluid attacking football, so you would assume we would look for youth coaches who have similar tactics.

15. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    His style is fluid attacking football, so, yes. I expected Caleb to get offered one of these jobs, and there ya go.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    On that front, these coaching signings make total sense. Between Ramos, Porter and Klinsmann you've got a pretty consistent take on how the USA should play (and by implication how soccer playing youth should be coached).

17. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys....:)

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From all that I have hearda bout Porter, he seems to have his team play fluid and attacking/passing on the ground style of soccer that many want the US to play like one day, including Klinsi'.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter has been rumored for MLS and other USSF jobs for a while, so this makes sense.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter might be the best possible choice. I'm actually surprised we were able to get him, if true.

21. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow NCAA Soccer too closely, but I recently watched Akron play UCSB on Fox Soccer Channel. It was one of the most entertaining matches that I've seen, at that level.

There was a lot of short, quick, one-touch passes in the attack, from both teams. There wasn't as much "hoofing" the ball downfield as you might normally see in a college match, until the very end when UCSB was trying to preserve their one-goal lead. I thought both teams were very well coached, and both teach an attractive style of soccer.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just look up at the last few MLS drafts and see where Akron players go.

23. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter's name had often been brought up for the U-20s, but rarely for the U-23s. It would have been a great hire for U-20, but is it a great hire for U-23? He has precious little experience in the tournament qualifying process and this is a short time with few camps or games outside of the qualifying tournament and the games themselves.

24. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    JK made excellent selections. Porter is a technical/possession coach. JK just hired his eventual replacement.

25. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

The U20's are more of a full time job than the 23's, from what I gather. The Olympics are over at the end of summer 2012, and so will most of the U23 responsibilities.