The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping the old thread would die so I wouldn't have to open a new one, but it continues on, so time to close that one.

I found this funny last night, and would love to hear a Revs player say it, but then children might melt.

Dustin Pedroia (2B of the Sox) came out after the game and during an interview said plain and simple, and I'll paraphrase, "What are we ... 5 and something [told 5-16], 5 and 16 this month? We're just a shitty team right now."

Kids melt. Did TeamOps arrest him last night?

A player willing to admit his team isn't playing well. Our players and coaches are much more the Francona style, "It'll get better, we've had injuries, etc etc etc."

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one in the Revs organization can even come to terms with the fact that we are, y'know, not making the playoffs.

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think that’s the case at all. They know. They know this team is a wreck, that the organization is backwards, that all is not well in the state of One Patriots Place.

“They know that we know that they know they’re selling us a lemon,” The Magpie said to me back in ’06, “but it’s their job and they know we know that too.”

4. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've obviously not paid attention to the Revs...
    The early years? How about still...?
    And Matt ... at least you get it. Why doesn't your team's front office?

8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed, these stuck out as references to the Revs maybe?

Many clubs have found reconciling the new crowd with the old one to be a tricky proposition. Families have taken issue with some of the language used by the fan groups.

Hard-core fan groups regularly interact with their MLS clubs and have established good relationships, save for a few exceptions.

Although I don't think this is fair as I think our supporter's groups have good relationships with Revs? Or don't they anymore?

And from the Wow, I'm jealous dept:
    MLS fan groups, by and large, get considerable input into their clubs. The Union adopted the SoB's blue for their own colors and then let SoB suggest changes and sign off on its own stands when PPL Park was built. "As they became more organized and relevant in the soccer world in Philadelphia," said Sakiewicz, "we felt it was smart to reach out to them and let them design their own section."

The Portland Timbers let their fan group, the several-thousand-strong Timbers Army, design its own stand in the refurbished Jeld-Wen Field and included it in discussions on stadium rules. When the club advertised ahead of its inaugural season, the Timbers opted to depict well-known Timbers Army members on their billboards. The Timbers killed the logo they originally designed for their MLS incarnation, after decades in other leagues, because the Army hated it. And at the Timbers' first home game in MLS, the front office opted to forgo a professional singer to perform the national anthem, but set up microphones in front of the Army sections and let the fans sing the anthem in unison on national television

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh....

And with all that going on, here in New England, our team is the equivalent of the company that made the finest quality buggy-whip in all the land about 100 years ago.

Some of us have been saying this since 1995, and while it's nice to hear people like former commish Doug Logan even admit that this is a good thing, revisionist history will always come back to bite you in the ass. People remember and you aren't fooling anyone by pretending.

10. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When your EBT card covers all your grocery shopping at the convenience store, there's plenty left for supporter group activities and pot.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Feed 'em shit and keep 'em in the dark." - The Departed

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a divvy is a more appropriate name than a NNN?

Entertaining rant on negative Liverpool season ticket holders by another LFC fan:
    http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2011/09/divvies-a-rant/

13. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New revenue stream, physical training for visiting athletes. :)

It's nice and what-have-you...but when the most newsworthy thing about this team lately is a golfer and a retired pro coming to train with the team for a single day...well...

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean 'most noteworthy thing'? We're the only active Boston sports franchise without an embarrassing loss this week (you can't be embarrassed if no one is looking) and we stayed in the Playoff hunt longer than the Red Sox! It's time for celebrations in Foxborough. Contract extensions for everyone!!

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point, but really, when your tactics don't align with the strengths of your opponent and go down a goal after 4 minutes and then are down 3-0 (on almost the exact same plays) 30 minutes into the game, that's not an "embarassing loss" just because you managed to get 2 goals back to make the scoreline look close?

I said in another thread, who wants to bet that the Red Sox make more significant changes than the Revs do this off-season?

17. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see it going both ways honestly.

The Revs will either continue coasting with no activity to speak of, or something on the order of the breakup of Pangaea will occur: new badge, new name, new stadium, new coach, new front office, new players.

The problem is that the chances of the latter are like 1 in 20 maybe, but it CAN and DOES happen in MLS.

The Red Sox might fire their coach and they'll probably sign about the same number of players they always do (in other words they'll be active on the player market), but they aren't going to be doing anything on that scale. No reason to do it.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they will because they have embraced the concept of accountability in that organization from the owners on down.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I added numbers just to keep the particular points straight. Here's my take on how likely these are to happen this off season:

1) 50%
    2) 0%
    3) 0%
    4) 0% -- as long as you don't count the usual stringing along that "we're fixin' to hopefully make an announcement about possible plans that may or may not occur in the next several years" kind of public statement
    5) 33%
    6) 25% chance that they can Buns, 0% chance that they can Bilello, 10% chance that other changes are made in the FO to less significant figures
    7) 100% -- they will definitely bring in some new players, other than the usual turnover of the bottom of the roster. They will bring in at least 2 players who make $250,000 or more, and if Shalrie leaves, make it 3. Will these guys be any good, or be able to stay healthy for the whole season? Your guess is as good as mine.
    Unfortunately, what "happens in MLS" has very little correlation to what happens in Revoland. I think one of the biggest problems in this area among the people who think that "MLS is a crap league" is based on equating "MLS" with the Revs. It's a very different story in about 15 other cities.

20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  21. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances they brought in Davids to take a look at him as a possible replacement for Shalrie.

Who's next? Figo?

On the positive side, this is better than trialing a golfer.

22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is 0% on 5, in fact I wonder if he won 0 games if they would fire him...

FYP

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already done, as Francona is out.

2 World Series Championships in the last 8 years. Pretty much unarguably the best manager ever for the Sox. Yet, he's gone.

In the meantime, the Revs just continue on as nothing changes even though the Sox have been going downhill the last 4 straight years.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike the Revs, the Red Sox (and pretty much every other sports team on the planet, including the Patriots) understand that while a coach/manager may have served you well and gotten great results at one time, he is only as good as the team's recent results. It doesn't matter that Francona won the whole enchilada in 2007, that was a long time ago.

In fact, the Revs were a good team in 2007, winning the Open Cup and going to MLS Cup final. Yes, 2007 really was a long time ago.

Does Nicol get to keep his job forever just because the Krafts are too lazy, too indifferent, too incompetent to find a suitable replacement?

25. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Martin Atkinson has what it takes to be a ref in MLS.