9v9 Formations

Discussion in 'Coach' started by pjmcnamara, Sep 8, 2011.

1. pjmcnamara

pjmcnamara New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi folks

I am interested in ideas for a formation for a youth soccer team. The team's 1st soccer game is this weekend. I am trying to decide between a 3-3-2 or a 3-2-3. I see a lot of 3-3-2 when I watch rec/travel teams but also noticed that US soccer suggests 3-2-3. It's youth soccer with a pretty wide mix of players abilities. I know that regardless of what we go with will choose to be strong in the center. I guess my thinking is that with a 3-3-2 I can have a strong center back, a strong center mid, and 2 forwards with the weaker players playing outside mids. With a 3-2-3, i feel like I'd need 2 strong players at the midfield.

of course since this is youth soccer, the players will play all positions so they can learn aspects and not be just a forward or just a defender.

I'd love to hear people's comments.

thanks,

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Youth soccer 9v9 formation

It doesn't matter as much as you think: 3-2-3 or 3-3-2 or 2-3-3

I play a 3-2-3 because (and this is the critical part): what do you want them to learn for the future?

I want them to, among other things, gain exposure playing as wide attackers/defenders and learn to work in tandem in the midfield. In a 3-3-2 they learn different things; how two strikers play together, how wide midfielders play, etc. The behavior of wide defenders is different when they have wide midfielders in front of them.

But as I started, it doesn't matter as much as you think. Think of your problem as you're starting with a 3-3-3 and you need to remove a player from a "line". Through the course of a season, not one game, will that one player in one line alter your outcome that greatly?

Like I said, I play a 3-2-3. When we're overrun in the mf, I ask a forward to drop back (3-3-2), if I feel inspired I tell the outside backs to join the attack (1-4-3), if we're holding a lead late then wings drop back (3-4-1). Be dynamic, respond to the needs of the situation.

3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Re: Youth soccer 9v9 formation

Good points. Two CM's with four wide players will make it a lot easier for a team to play a possession style passing game. As the kids learn you can also adjust the system as you mentioned. Ultimately you could defend with 7 behind the ball (341) with a low line of confrontation (or press high with the 323 shape). Ultimately you could attack with a 143 shape. Both of those changes would be fairly easy for kids to understand, get four kids interchanging lines regularly with a minimum of running, and if you keep the lines close together be very competitive as well.

I would even be tempted to have the fullbacks play very aggressively on defense with the whole team pressing in almost a 143 shape with 8 behind the ball. The advantage to this is if you win the ball your team is in a very good shape for the short passing possession attack. You also remove the temptation to make a long pass that a single forward in front of the ball would provide, encouraging a more indirect buildup.

4. pjmcnamara

pjmcnamara New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful and helpful comments.

I agree that it doesn't matter too much but I like to get various points of views. And, thinking about what the players should be learning is good to think about too.

We only have 1 hour a week to practice so we spend much more time on skills than on formation/tactics. The main priority is helping the 10 and 11 year olds develop skills. Maintaining some shape on the field would be nice too.

Thanks again.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you're going about it correctly. Skills before shape.

In a perfect world where we have more than enough time to cover everything, sure. But pretty much at any level at any age, a player who can dribble past another player and shoot well will be more valued than one that can merely "stay home".