Live events on ESPN Classic

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by AndyMead, Mar 13, 2005.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been much discussion on this. But ESPN seems to be slowly pushing some live niche events onto ESPN Classic.

Of note around here was the Mia Hamm farewell USWNT game in December that was packaged with the SportsCentury: Mia Hamm program and the 1999 WWC Final.

Now, the World Cup Qualifier between the United States and Mexico on September 3rd in Columbus, Ohio is scheduled for ESPN Classic. The game will also be shown on Telemundo.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of things to come.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    who the ******** gets espn classic?

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, it's on Dish. I thought all they ever showed was the NFL Films archives.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    TWCNYC does. Therefore I do.

Yea, coincidence that both live events on ESPN CLassic are soccer games?

I do wish the colonies got this channel though
    http://www.espnclassicsport.com

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    53.7 million homes, more than ESPN News.

Moved to TV, Satellite and Radio forum.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Those are just two games. There have been a few other non-soccer games on ESPN Classic.

ESPN Classic is part of the Total Choice - but unfortunately not the Para Todos - packages on DirecTV.

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    you guys aren't suppose to answer the question... we are just suppose to bitch

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

They also made a deal to do the NCAA Division II CIAA conference tournament. They did a college football game (Minnesota-Michigan) that might have been numped due to baseball playoffs. They also have a deal with the MEAC and SWAC.

I think all of this is great. They really need to take advantage of this and ESPN News as outlets for events that might get lost or things that get bumped due to time or logistical concerns.

Trivia question - What was the first live event shown on ESPn Classic?

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Easy question. The implosion of the Seattle Kingdome. I was watching it live on ESPN Classic. :)

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get ESPN Classic but don't get GolTV. I'd happily trade but that doesn't seem to be an option.

On Comcast in northern New Jersey, ESPN Classic is on regular cable.

12. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't understand why yesterday Classic showed the Big East tournament final while ESPN was showing it too.:confused:

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    "Instant" classic................ ?

14. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Man, when they say "instant" they really mean instant.

Anyway, I think it is just stupid that they did that.

15. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I think I heard that ESPN is using ESPN Classic to air some games live now when they need three national feeds (especially for college basketball and football) because they don't think the MSOs want another national sports network (i.e. ESPN 3 OR Comcast-owned). After all, such channels are the most expensive on the market.

The other key is that the games ESPN Classic shows are supposed to meet certain "criteria," among others including being rivalry games (Michigan/Minnesota), or "timeless" (Big East basketball, which they showed every Wednesday from January-March, in addition to an old-fashioned broadcast of the final).

I have ESPN Classic on Time Warner basic at school; it's on Cablevision's iO Digital at home.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, that game was on a Friday night. Baseball had the stadium occupied that Saturday. ESPN Classic ended up picking the game up.

That game could have been the first live event on ESPN Classic. Or else it was a WC02 game.

17. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

............and definitely more than FSC, so it's not a bad place to air US Soccer games that can't get a slot on ESPN1/2. And how neat would it have been to see Chelsea v Barca re-aired as an "instant classic" . We can dream I guess......

18. fireballil

fireballil Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Litchfield,Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Classic also did several live college basketball games as "Turn Back The Clock" games, where they had graphics from 1979, the year ESPN came on the air. They also had a retro announcer, Jim Simpson.

19. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    There were a lot of people complaining (and possibly filing a lawsuit) that ESPN/ABC were holding the rights to a lot of broadcasts, but not actually showing them, especially college games.

I would suppose that the launch of ESPNU and the movement of some live events to ESPN Classic is done to answer their critics.

20. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they were going to make an ESPN3. Or was that just a rumor? It would be cool if they did make it because I'm assuming they'd put more soccer on it.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    http://www.espn8.com/

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  23. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    One more time: You're not English. Enough already.

"The colonies."

:rolleyes:

24. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Classic is part of basic in Baltimore I'm pretty sure.

The Wednesday night games weren't all Big East, they showed 2 or 3 Conference USA games, as well.

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I do. It's one of the services that are in the same package as Fox Soccer Channel.