Does Bob Bradley deserve to remain manager?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jun 26, 2011.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    We're at a critical point in time. It's not too late to make a manager switch before World Cup qualifying begins. Yes, in all likelihood we will still qualify for the World Cup with Bob as manager. But the question is: what will we do once we get there? Ideally we might keep Bob only for qualifying, then bring in a real manager before the World Cup. But that's not how US Soccer works.

So the ball is now in Sunil Gulati's court. I suggest he finally give Bob Bradley his pink slip and hand the team over to a new manager, without any of the old prejudices, the old hang-ups, and who won't keep making the same mistakes.

I give him credit for starting Adu - a lot of credit. But we need new blood in charge. A blank slate. A fresh pair of eyes. Someone who's willing to drop Bornstein, drop Onyewu, push Altidore to the next level, is willing to sub out Michael Bradley when he's struggling, develop a young defense, and teach this team how to play possession when up two goals.

This loss is bad. I'm not sure if it's worse than the loss to Brazil in 2009 though, where we had a 2-0 at least to halftime. But to blow TWO 2-0 leads in the two biggest finals of the last 4 years is unacceptable. It just can't happen anymore.

The fact of the matter is our 2010 World Cup was very average. We didn't under-deliver and we didn't over-deliver. We could have gone farther, and we could have gone out in the first round. But we need someone who can a take a middling-team and turn them into a better one. That person is no longer Bob Bradley.

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? No poll?

4. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    If USSF were ready to give him 4 years after our WC2010 performance, I'm not sure there's much in our GC2011 results that are particularly contrary to that reasoning.

5. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rhetorical question

6. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    You're starting with the wrong question. Deserve has nothing to do with it.

The correct question is, "Is keeping Bob the best choice for the team?"

The answer is, "No."

And this isn't about today. It's about this entire year.

7. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played 6 matches in this Gold Cup, and had 2 good results. Cue Peter Brady, it's time to change.

8. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dislike the idea of a two-cycle manager. But tonight doesn't contribute any more or less towards my feelings about Bob Bradley.

9. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -The United States has accrued 17 losses over the past 2.5 years.
    -We have lost 4 matches at home this year
    -We have lost 9 matches at home since 2009
    -First United States loss in Gold Cup group play...ever.

Last two GC finals under Bob Bradley:

Mexico- 9
    USA- 2

Enough. Is. Enough.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Panama debacle, I certainly felt a change was due. However, Bradley has shown me something in recent matches. The main problem I have is that he obviously needs to be more aggressive bringing in a back line that can can physically match up against speedy, talented forwards.

11. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I haven't had as much of an issue with Bradley as many on here.

That said, I think it's time for a change.

And I'm not talking about "firing the hitting coach" kind of change.

Needs to start at the very top.

12. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    No.

The USMNT should have two goals: win the Gold Cup and reach the quarterfinals of the World Cup. Bob is now 0-for-3 in his last three chances.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That person never was Bob Bradley. I have no idea who thought he was qualified for the job in the first place. He will get us to the WC but we have become stagnant. It is time for a change.

14. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not tonight, considering. But the whole Gold Cup in general has to contribute.

15. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never wanted a 2 cycle manager....

But with that being said what we really need is better defensive talent, a fresh perspecitve will be nice, but even the new coach is going to have to deal with the same talent pool that Bob does. We've just hit a real ebb in center back talent.

16. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Bob did well in his time. But this doesn't work that way. Time to hand the reins to Klinsman and see what happens.

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If we ever want to be taken seriously as a soccer nation, then we need a quality coach with the same ambitions. Bob is a good manager but he isn't international quality.

18. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I think they tried to get rid of him because it took a few months to sign him after the World Cup was over. When no one else that they wanted was interested then keeping him was probably the best option.

19. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Gale, paging Gale. :D

20. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at it positively, Bob has given us some good moments. However it is time to move on. He might earn a huge amount of respect if he just stepped down.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I'm not a big fan of Bob's, but tonight was not really his fault.

Mexico is just a better team than we are. We have isssues at USSF with youth player selection and development.

Actually, I thought Bob made some progress this time. The switch to the 4-5-1. Starting Adu looked to have paid dividends. Yes, I thought he made somewhat of a meal of the initial 23, but I don't think any of the players I'd have chosen (DeMerit, Convey, Marshall/Cameron, Buddle) would have turned the tide tonight.

Mexico has guys who play at THE highest level (Hernandez), guys who have in the past (Marquez), and guys with legit world class talent (Dos Santos). Man, that 4th goal was a thing of beauty. Plus guys like Guardado and Barerra to supplement. The have more talent. And more talented players.

To the OP's point, we need to make changes at USSF if we are going to compete. If Bob goes, then Sunil MUST go with him, and I don't think that is going to happen. I say let this play out and see what adjustments Bob makes to his player pool and style going forward.

22. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does a guy have to do to 'deserve' to keep his job? Meet expectations? The second-best team losing to the best team in the finals is pretty much the definition of meeting expectations. Do I think he's the right guy for us? No. But he delivered what he was supposed to deliver.

23. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    For losing to Mexico???

Yeah, no.

24. Hookster

Hookster New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    BB has obviously drastically mis-judged Freddy Adu's talent. Freddy was our most dangerous looking player on the field during the 120 mins he saw in the GC. So you must ask yourself.... what other talent has he mis-judged?

25. Liberty603

Liberty603 New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Horsham
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've hit all the points. My hope is that Bob is let go soon enough that we can get a new head coach in before any meaningful games need to be played, and get to work building a new system. It'll be a complete retooling, but after a game on which so much is resting, I think that:

-We need a new coach (duh, obvious)
    -We one who can stop taking tournaments like the Gold Cup for granted
    -I'd like to see a coach with enough personality that he can mold the team into a distinct playing style (Spain? Germany? Something's gotta work.)
    -Whatever happens, playing for the national team in our future can no longer be a right. It must be a privledge, and I pray that our new coach will have the foresight to leave out the Bornsteins and the Robbie Rogers.

Who knows? There's still hope for this program, but the earliest I can imagine there being a complete turnaround is 2018 WC. The bottom line is that Bob needs to go. He's led us to some great wins but in the end, the results were poor. We can do better, and we need to stop convincing ourselves of the opposite.