Why not create a Pan American Championship of Nations?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Gwadaboyz 72, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It will be three Gold Cup (2007, 2009 and 2011) that we have Mexico-USA in the final and it may well be that we have for a third straight a final between Brazil and Argentina in Copa America. In 2016, Euro in France will spend 16 to 24 national teams.

So why not consider an overhaul of the CONCACAF Gold Cup and Copa America in a new competition?

A Pan American Championship of Nations.

So we wouldn't have only organized competitions in the US as the CONCACAF Gold Cup. This Pan American Championship could be organized in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, USA, Mexico, Uruguay, Canada, Trinidad, Venezuela or Paraguay.
    A competition would be held every four years with twenty-four teams and it would be qualifying for the Confederations' Cup.

A Pan American Championship that may arise as such :
    North America (3 qualified teams) : Canada, USA, Mexico
    Central America (5 qualified teams) : Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, El Salvador, Guatemala.
    Caribbean (6 qualified teams) : Jamaica, Guadeloupe, Cuba, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti.
    South America (10 qualified teams) : Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia.

2. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have an idea,, How about we do a Pan american Qualification.. there are 10 countries in south america and How many in the Concacaf? That way we can take away more spots from Europe. Someone come up with a total if SA and the concacaf merge. That way we can squeeze around 10+ spot and break the groups into two of ten and give each group 5 spots. That way, the usual suspects will qualify from both regions wihout any effort.

3. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    Boss i think that everybody kinda wants something like this, and this kinda thread comes up every year but it aint gonna happen cause the comnebol people dont want to open up their copa america to us unless there was a merger so they could take concacaf world cup spots. But really concacaf doesnt want to lose the spots.

Sadly this probably coulda happened a while ago because comnebol teams used to get invited to gold cups, and concacaf teams get invited to the gold cup so i guess this woulda been the natural progression. But now its only a dream.

BTW i think if this did happen it should be a 16 team tourney. The less teams there are the better the quality of football.

4. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    Honestly i agree with you. I know i dont speak for all the small central and carib countries but since we probably arent gonna qualify for the world cup but once every 16 yrs why not merge. It would mean an opportunity to play big teams like Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay on home soil every two yrs. And a realistic goal of qualifying for the Copa America. Which would hopefully raise the appreciation for the tourney if you had to qualify for it (even if qualification would be easy for most comnebol countries).

5. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that would be awesome.

6. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oops! Those exist already. They're called the Pan Am games and they will be in Guadalajara this year!

7. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    he means a tournament that is for futbol only and with the best teams.

8. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'd rather not.

Each confederation has developed their own little nuances and I'm not a fan of waiting every four years except for the WC. Especially since CONMEBOL is unpredictable and could very well go back to every 2 years for Copa America again.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I much rather invite the bottom 4 Conmebol teams to the not important Gold Cup every 4 years, expand it to 4 groups of 4.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sorry, I hate to put you guys down, but for many of us round here in South America, it wouldn`t be an overhaul, but a "severe downgrade" of our continental tournament. Our Copa America will never be replaced. ;)

Anyhow, it would still be awsome to have a new tournament as the one described. Imo, you should replace one of your Gold Cups (leave it only every 4 years for only Concacaf members) by this tournament, which you could have it also every 4 years. :)

11. mxlabyrinth

mxlabyrinth Member

Jul 22, 2011
    "Religion is Poison"
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico should just give Concacaf the middle finger and move to Conmebol. Mexico would rather give up their tickets to Concacaf than play a shit confederation! ******** Concacaf and warner with their greedy money cronies!! The love of futbol and real competition is what makes football fun to watch! there's no longer any point in staying in shit concacrap!

12. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no concacaf teams can compete vs commebol

13. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree. Conmebol has only 3 really good teams, Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. Mexico can certainly hang with all three. Other then that Paraguay, Chile, USA, Colombia are on the same level.

14. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want a tornament with guadeloupe, grenada, cuba, and haiti agiants Brazil, Argentina, the US, Uruguay, and Mexico, 16 teams are fine, two from North America, 3 from Central America, 2 from the Carribean, #3 from North america and the carribean play-off, and 8 teams from south america.

15. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the US and Mexico can't compete with Bolivia, Ecuador, Columbia, Peru, Chile, Venezuela, and paraguay?

16. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there'll be a few problems with that.

Now that you mention greedy money cronies, haven't you noticed world soccer, or football (or Futball), in the last decade or so?

17. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
  18. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations! You've just become the 10,000th person to suggest this idea on BigSoccer.

19. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    fyp

21. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    true

Costa Rica`s U-22 team can beat Bolivia

Costa Rica beat Venezuela in Venezuela recently in a friendly.

22. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Also Costa Rica owns Chile , just check their head to head record.

23. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also while on the subject of greed and money, notice how much the FMF loves having the Mexican national team play friendlies in the U.S. I think Mexico played more friendlies than any other team in the world the last World Cup cycle. Their World Cup preparations were a coast to coast tour of the United States. The FMF has become one of the wealthiest feds in the world on the basis of foreign friendlies, they aren't giving that up even for a move to CONMEBOL.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they have to?

25. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24 is a little much. i think that we should even go as far as to merge the two confedeations but i think that 16 teams, 8 from Conembol, 8 from Concacaf would be ideal