Chris Roner is gone.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Alexi, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    According to the latest article on QuakeMagic

Also among the casualties was 2003 playoff hero Chris Roner. The Cal-Berkeley grad was attempting a comeback following a radical cartilage transplantation procedure on his right ankle last year. According to Kinnear, Roner's inability to recover quickly following practices and games led to the decision to part ways with the utility man. "I think it's safe to say that right now, [the ankle] still hurts him," added Kinnear. "I think this year he just needs more time [to heal]. He's the first guy to have had this surgery and try to play professional sports, so it's kind of an unknown for everybody."

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad. I like Chris. The guy has busted his ass (and his ankle) for this team.

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I was really looking forward to seeing him again this year.

5. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Beerking. Obviously it sucks that he's hurt but I was never a fan.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Seems like this opens up a spot for a foreign acquisition. I'm guessing cutting senior roster players after 3/1 would cost teams 5k against the cap.

7. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow.. this just keeps getting better and better, do we have any original team members left? :rolleyes:

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troy Dayak is the onlyt original 1996 San Jose team member left, though he missed a few years due to injury.

The last original team member to play non-stop for San Jose was current assistant coach John Doyle, who finally retired from playing after the 2000 season.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised.

I was never sold on Chris. He was often shakey at right back and a complete disaster the few times he played defensive midfield. Add to the fact that he sat out a whole year.

Should we be looking on eBay for more Quakes stuff from Chris?

10. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could get into art school, or write op-ed pieces... :D

-----
    Still, not much of a surprise--guy was unhurt and couldn't recover enough in time. Also made expendable with the signing of Barrett, Waibel reupping, and the trades to get Davis, Clark, and so forth. A project at best, who would gotten a chance to play in 2004 had he not been injured. Was hot (see 2003 playoffs) and cold (see OG during 2003 MLS Cup, but trivial given the result) at that. He gets a major nod for his goal during the comeback classico in 2003 against Los Angeles...

Good luck to him--he's intelligent and has that "Renaissance" quality to keep him busy outside of the game. Cheers!

11. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
  12. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, it sucks that he never recovered from that nasty injury.
    Who knows, if not that injury, maybe he could have developed into a really good player.
    Good bye, and good luck, Chris.

13. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    good luck, man.....

overall, good...

14. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its sad because so many people are going to remember him from that unfortunate MLSCup 2003 match, he just had an off game

15. vikingwayne

vikingwayne Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I hope we remember him for his goal in the LA playoff game.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's never good to see somebody unable to walk away on his own terms.

here's hoping things work out for chris. woulda been nice to see him get one last run with the quakes.

:(

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It's too bad for Chris. Gives me flashbacks to Scott Bower. Maybe Scott and Chris can form a boy band....

18. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Really? People are so shallow that they'd stereotype a player for life just because of one bad game?

Oh, well, at least Chris' team won their championship.

Sincerely,
    Bill Buckner

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It's gotta be really frustrating if MLS Cup '03 is his last MLS match. I'm sure he wanted to get back in a game and start putting that behind him. And just wondering, if he had to have "radical cartilage transplantation" surgery, and MLS Cup '03 was his last match before that surgery, how fit was he in that game or any number of games leading up to that? Or did he injure his ankle after MLS Cup '03 somehow??

20. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Ringo 100%. Chris is a classy guy and had a world of potential. During a run of bad form for the rest of the team in 2003, he was the best thing we had to watch. I remember him simply destroying the left side of the Galaxy attack in a game in LA. I had high hopes that he would be Comeback Player of the Year this year.

And of course, the goal... one of the greatest moments in Quakes history.

I for one hope his recovery is complete with a little more time and he gets another shot.

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked him that very question last year at the SWTQ. He told me that was playing on the injury in those last three games, something he probably shouldn't have been doing. Not only did it aggravate the injury, but the injury is certainly responsible, at least in part, for some of the screw-ups in the 2003 Cup game (Chris didn't say that last part, I did). Of course, Chris is not the first gung-ho athlete who wouldn't stay off an injury when he/she should have.

22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks for the info. Maybe he shouldn't have played on the injury but it didn't seem to be affecting him in an obvious way (thinking about the classico header where he got some good hops to put that one in). But to his credit doesn't seem like he ever used the injury publicly as an excuse.

There's a scene in the DVD where, in the aftermath of the 2003 MLS Cup victory, Yallop sees Roner, and says something like "Chris, we won!". I think Roner was probably apologizing and Yallop was saying forget about it, what are you talking about, we won.

23. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll definitely remember him for that, khe was a hero that night :)

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that part. Now it brings a tear to the eye.

All the best to Chris.

25. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto.. speaking of which.. i think im going to watch that tonight :)