Javier Morales Suffers Serious Injury (Ankle break?)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  2. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    what's the big deal? i thought everybody loves the EPL.

3. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really need the "?" It's pretty obvious, I thought.

4. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    It looked bad. Mondaini had been beaten, had no real play at the ball and came in from behind.

They both went down and when it was over Morales' foot was bent at an unnatural angle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a broken ankle or leg.

I stopped watching the game. Zakuani, Ferreira and now Morales. Way to go, MLS.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I want to label it as such in case it was actually a leg break, a severe dislocation, whatever. Mods can remove it once confirmed, it isn't a big deal.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS needs more DPS cause obviously 1 out of 3 is going to be injured at some point in the season. I would be happy if there were 5 dps per team.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering why the league website cut the replay off at the whistle. Ouch.

8. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Unfortunate. Morales is a talented player and I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

That being said, I don't think Mondaini's challenge was malicious. Mondaini's right knee landed on Morales left ankle, while he tried to go for the ball with his left foot. Brutal accident.

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unwatchable league.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    It isn't "malicious" as much as it was foolish. The ball was a good 3 yards away from him at full stretch when he made that tackle..totally unacceptable.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Over/Under 5 games for the suspension

12. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sense a bit of over reactive bullshit in this post.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm actually going to take the under on this.

14. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obvious that the level of play on the pitch this year has risen, but the tactics on the pitch has also become more reckless and we are seeing an increase in nasty tackles resulting in the loss of some of the leagues more impact players like Sounders Steve Zakuani, FC Dallas David Ferreira, and now today RSL's Javier Morales. It's time that the league and Don Garber step up and get things under control, they need to do more than just fines or suspensions at this point, 3 players out in the last 3 weeks because of nasty tackles is more than just an one isolated incident.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Indeed. I get that people are pissed about hacks taking out talented players. But people are really losing perspective here. I said this in the other thread, I'm going to say it again here: we've always had untalented hacks in this league. In fact, we used to have even more of them. Part of what's going on this year is just a crazy statistical fluke of an increase in the number of severe injuries. That doesn't diminish what's going on. It just puts a little perspective on it. If anything, what's remarkable is that there weren't more of these types of injuries in previous seasons.

Yes, something should be done. This all has to change and there are lots of ways to approach that: better refs, bigger fines, longer suspensions for violent fouls and so on. But this can all be discussed with level heads and a realistic perspective.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe but... I used to be a sth. I used to get the TV packages. Watch the games.

Now I rarely go to games and hardly watch any. The league sucks, IMO. It's not entertaining.

Players aren't afraid to be reckless and the attacking play is awful.

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I don't know if malice is the issue here, unless you're talking about comparing the length of suspension time to those tackles from 2 weeks ago.

I think the issue is going in at an angle on that tackle where there was almost no likelihood of ever getting the ball without going through Morales. There's no reason for tackles like that to happen again in this league.

You guys can all talk the merits of whether pure stupidity in this case is an equal tradeoff for the retaliatory elements of Mullan's tackle - I don't want any part in that discussion. But MLS put forth the word that "One of those points of emphasis is to protect the safety of the player on the ball and reduce or eliminate reckless and violent tackles." So if you don't think this tackle falls into that category and doesn't deserve a extended suspension approaching what Mullan got, I think whatever "lesson" was supposed to be sent with Mullan's suspension will be a lesson unlearned.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Alright, then go watch another league.

19. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    It's getting to the point where alot of emotion is involved, and the league needs to recognize that.

The LAST thing this league needs is the reputation that MLS is where talented players go to have their careers ended with gruesome injuries on awful tackles from hack players.

It's gonna have to be more of a response than business as usual to head that off, or the league is gonna find itself in serious trouble.

20. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Okay so there's been 3 bad tackles and injuries. You think there are not injuries and bad tackles in other leagues besides MLS and the EPL?

Did you see horrific challenges in this year's CL like Flamini on Corluka?

21. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    I dont really agree with Chad exactly, but let's be honest.. there's been more than 3 bad tackles this year...

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grow up.

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 bad tackles are you kidding me?

24. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the forum reading is sure entertaining which keeps you posting here???...

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm flattered by the attention, but this thread is about the tackle and injury to one of the most entertaining players in the league, and the reactions (different they may be) that people have. I'm ok with you disagreeing, but focusing on my reaction is very childish.