The NEW Nutrilite Canadian Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedCoatsforever, Apr 22, 2011.

1. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thought this might be a nice thing to restart, also putting in a poll this time for voting on the winner.

any results predictions?

Here are mine for the first round:

First leg:
    FC Edmonton 2 - 0 Toronto FC
    Montréal Impact 1 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Second leg:
    Toronto FC 2 - 1 FC Edmonton
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 Montréal Impact

2. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: The NEW Nutrilite Candian Championship Thread

Winner of Whitecaps-Impact will take the Cup. I'd say that will be Vancouver, but Montreal sometimes can be a bit of a sore spot. Meh, I'll take Vancouver in the end, through maybe just out of blind support :p

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just wanted to ask here: anyone know if Rogers Sportsnet will be streaming next Wednesday's games online?

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown

Hey Redcoatsforever, why are you picking your team to lose to an expansion D-2 team?

5. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I expect TFC to be tired from the game at home to Columbus and Edmonton have had good form all season so far. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but just a feeling I have.

6. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    First leg:
    FC Edmonton 0-0 Toronto FC
    Montréal Impact 1-0 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Second leg:
    Toronto FC 2-0 FC Edmonton
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1 Montréal Impact

Goal will be hard to come by...

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005

You would have less of that feeling if you gave up drinking at breakfast. :) There's no way Edmonton beats TFC. In fact, I half expect Winter to start a backup squad against Edmonton and for TFC to still win. TFC may be a mediocre MLS squad but Edmonton is an expansion NASL team.

My feeling is that TFC beats Edmonton. If the score looks close it's only because TFC commits only the resources necessary to win, not to dominate. Vancouver gets by Montreal in a contest that is made closer (and more interesting) due to some historical animosity between those two teams in this event.

As for the final, I think that TFC wins it strictly by happening to be in slightly better form at the time. (That and the fact that Vancouver has never won despite playing decent soccer in this event.)

8. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Power Rankings

1-Van
    2-Tor
    3-Edm
    4-Mon

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will there be anyone at Montreal tonight? Can Sapputo televise the Hockey game on a giant screen?

10. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Don't you judge my habits! It's a life-choice, dammit!

Scores......................................................Leg 1.....Leg 2......Agg.
    FC Edmonton v. Toronto FC:.........................0 - 3 .... - - - .... 0 - 3

Montréal Impact v. Vancouver Whitecaps FC:...0 - 1 .... - - - .... 0 - 1

After tonight's results, I was happily incorrect on the FCE - TFC scoreline. :D

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    On the upside, Impact will now have the full undivided attention of Montreal sports fans until the start of the CFL season.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Attendances for both matches:

Edmonton - 5,781
    Montreal - 8,412

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The pairings in the first round this year were based on seedings. TFC was given first seed as the defending champion and Edmonton was given the lowest seed as the newbies.

How will the seeding be determined next year? One and two should be obvious but has the CSA posted rules on how it will determine three and four?

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They are ranked first by league, then by place in the table (previous year). That was the basis for this year.

TFC are not seeded first by being reigning champs but because they were the only MLS club. VWFC was seeded second for having finished ahead of MTL in the NASL table last year.

For example, next year TFC and VWFC will be 1 and 2, which is which will depend on place in table.

Likewise, MTL and FCE will be 3 and 4, again depending on where they finish in the table.

The year after FCE will automatically be seeded 4 and the rest will be seeded based on table place.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So it's TFC / VWFC in the final.

Honestly, I'm not too confident in TFC's chances, though I don't think that Whitecaps will rout us quite like they did in game 1 of the season.

18. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    That differs from what I've read in newspaper reports. (Which doesn't mean the newspaper had it right.)

It seems odd that the defending champion wouldn't get the first seed regardless. For example, FCE could win the CC but still be seeded fourth the next year, which seems dumb.

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm somewhat disappointed. Nothing against Vancouver but it means we don't play Montreal at all this year.

I say it's fifty-fifty. Neither team is playing all that well. The Whitecaps won't have the whole first-game-in-franchise-history thing to pump them up.

20. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow is the NCC ever a boring tourney. TFC beats a semi pro team at best, Vacouver and Montreal play ping pong all night, kick and chase...to make this more interesting, change the format. Have the CSL champion play the PDL and NASL teams in a round robin with the winner and runner up playing the MLS teams in another round robin to determine a champ. This would include 12 teams and make the tourney alot more legit... why not include the challenge cup champion, FCE were basically all amateurs.

21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, that's one thing I don't like the new format. At least the new format means that the final games will be more exciting since both teams will be equally 'in it'.

At least starting next year we'll be facing Montreal every year for sure.

No, but they still have the "we hate Toronto" thing to keep them pumped up. Toronto just doesn't have the same level of hate for Vancouver for motivation.

22. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So next year have the follwoing rounds:

Round 1: 9 PDL teams, CSL Champion and Runner up and Challenge Cup winner. Three groups of 4, round robin, three qualifiers to Round two:

Round 2: # qualifiers and FCE, round robin, winner to Round 3.

Round 3: # MLS squads and Round 2 qualifier, round robin, winner onto CCL prelims...at lest this way the NCC is expanded to 16 teams bringing it some legitimacy. In the USA the Lamar Hunt is open to PDL and NPL clubs, so why not here. FCE are primarily all AMSL players, so it shows that amateurs from the challenge cup would be able to compete.

23. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CSL is ranked higher in the CSA pyramid than PDL is, no way this would happen. Also, the NCC exists only because we needed a CCL qualifying tourney, whereas the US Open was in existence long before the CCL. Finally, that many game would run way too long into the season, it would be a very short time before the CCL prelims began before the tournament were resolved.

24. Nehiyaw redder

Nehiyaw redder Red Card

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Previous NCC was six games, its an non issue regarding length of season. Other leagues play alot more games and mamage. The increase in revenue will be welcome, especially for smaller clubs, not to mention the media exposure This version is not a true national championship. There needs to be a Canuck version of a FA title inclusive of all clubs from PDL, CSL, Challenge cup winner, NASL and MLS. NCC means nothing as CCL prelims are the reward..until this tourney is veiwed with more legitiamcy and the winner goes directly into the group stage..few ppl care. If TFC wins, alot fewer care outside of GTA. To watch an amateur or semi pro team play a pro team does build interest from supporters, CSA and pro scouts..its a win win for ppl with open minds and the game. FCE will prove this in time, the exposure to NCC will spark interest from players, scouts and private investors. Old attitudes are cancer, optimism is the way to go to support and grow the game.

25. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Okay, so, six games in six weeks, from the point that the PDL and CSL teams enter in say (charitably) mid-April put the competition in mid May.

Round 2: six more games, six more weeks, it's now mid-June.

Round 3: six more games, six more weeks, it's now mid-July, and the CCL preliminaries are about one week or so away.

This doesn't work for scheduling. If it were a qualification for the year after, perhaps it could work.

Also, the majority of PDL and CSL clubs would go under from travel costs. The competition doesn't have the sponsorship necessary to hold up this sort of thing, and finally, if we're looking to build a national competition, why not start with a professional league?

The Challenge Cup is our amateur-edition FA cup, the NCC is pros only. The semi-pro clubs are in a rough spot, as they can't participate in the Challenge Cup due to pro players on the roster, and can't afford NCC.