"The Game of Their Lives" is finally here

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Jason Lemire, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Jason Lemire

Jason Lemire New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    MLS Fans,

My name is Jason Lemire, former MLS employee now working with AFG to help market the long anticipated film about the 1950 World Cup Team and their victory over England.

April 22 (yes, 2005) is the date and we in the soccer community have two weeks to prove that this film has an audience.

If you are interested in finding out just about anything about the film, from theatre locations to private screenings, please feel free to contact me at worldcup1950@hotmail.com.

Thanks for your support.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As 4/22 is after the MLS season kicks off its 10th season, are you actively working with MLS to publicize the film? I can't wait to see it.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone should bump this from time to time, or better yet, make it a sticky....

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Def a worthwhile thread!

5. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Will it show in Houston. I'm VP of the Houston Football Association (70 adult teams and growing; www.hfasoccer.com). I'd be happy to do what I can here to help you.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In which cities will the movie open?

7. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    New York and Los Angeles, probably. Those are the only two cities in America, dontcha know?

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done. God I hope MLS promotes the hell out of this.

Jason, feel free to post any and all details about theaters, promotional stuff, etc. at will here. Don't wait for an e-mail. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Jason Lemire

Jason Lemire New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    We are opening in the 11 MLS markets, plus Indy, Charlotte and St. Louis (where much of the story takes place.)

Of course our ultimate goal is a national release. So how can that happen?

We've got two weeks starting 4/22 to sell out those theatres.

As always, when it comes to soccer in this country, it's all about butts in seats.

Now here comes the twist: no advertising.

Yep.

In L.A., D.C. and Indy we are doing what's called a "Traditional Release" Basically we'll do it like any other movie, we'll do some print and some TV spots and people will walk up to the theatre to buy tix...

Everywhere else we are actually renting out the theatres ourselves and selling the tickets to you guys directly. Totally grassroots. Totally guerrilla. Two weeks to prove to hollywood that a soccer movie can succeed in this country.

We are working with the MLS teams but personally, I believe that this is the real way that people will here about the film.

All right, I gotta get out of Salt Lake (here for the Youth Soccer Convention, another big time supporter of the film.)

Please keep your posts and questions coming, I will answer each and every one.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

J

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you list the cities and which theaters you're showing at? I'll get my soccer friends to go.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Maybe the heads of the locals MLS supporters clubs and Sam's Army Brigades should be contacted to help organize viewings ??

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this. For Chicago, I'm sure the S8C guys would be interested in organizing at least on viewing. I'll mention it on the Section 8 boards, but you should definetly contact them. I'd reccomend PMing the mods of the team forums and putting together a generic message so that everyone has a chance to learn about dates, times, places, etc.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I third this notion. :)
    for NY, contact the heads of:

Empire Supporters Club
    www.empiresc.com

First Row Idiots
    www.firstrowidiots.com

Metronation
    www.metronation.com

Metrofanatic
    www.metrofanatic.com

14. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you post a link to the trailer - I'm sure we'd all like to pass that around to friends, families and co-workers to spread the word.

Thanks

15. Jason Lemire

Jason Lemire New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Thank you Metros and everyone else, all excellent ideas.

As soon as I have a link for the trailer I will have it to you guys. The hold up, as I understand it, has been the musical score, which is great, but took forever to get the rights to or some such thing. As soon as we've got ourselves a full operational website, with trailers and order forms and such, I'll draft a proto-email you can copy/paste and send off into the world.

After I blitz all the BS boards, any recommendations for any other sites that I should get the information to?

By the way, anyone besides me audition for this thing?

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that a lot of other people auditioned for the movie.

I don't know if any of them post here, though. ;)

-G

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    www.matchnight.com

18. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh I hope that it goes nation wide, im 4 hours from DC and 2 hours from Charlotte. dont want to have to travel that far but i will if i gotta.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  21. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Jason Lemire

Jason Lemire New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Hey Evan,

Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to need as many people making that 2 hour drive to see the film as possible if we have any hope of going nationwide (particularly in Charlotte, which is our smallest market.) If you can put together a big crew, maybe an adult league/soccer club/organization, who want to make the trip as a group, I might be able to set up private screen for you guys in Charlotte where we'd basically close down the entire theatre for you.

Let me know.

Jason
    worldcup1950@hotmail.com

23. rmacc3ng

rmacc3ng New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I'm an hour and a half from Charlotte and would definitely make the drive. If you could provide more concrete information about specific locations/times/dates when they become available, I'd love to get a group down there.

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    why is Charlotte getting the film?

25. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States