Serendipity? Outreach possibility...

Discussion in 'Screaming Eagles' started by RayWhitney, Mar 9, 2011.

1. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    So, after my most recent post on the main list, I read about the naming of the new Kansas City park...Livestrong Park...

Got me thinking...

I have been searching for some way to tie together my passions. This may have fallen right into my lap.

Consider this: in 2012 (because it will take nearly a year to train for and plan logistics around this...) I ride from RFK to the New Stadium, timing my arrival with a DCU match against Kansas City.

Seriously.

I am thinking that I would ride the reverse of the RAAM course (more than less) and head south to gt into KC.

Get DCU and KC to support with publicity. Use it as a fundraiser for cancer charities. Get SE and other supporters groups in for logistics support (two vehicles, minimum, medical, and technical).

I need to run to a meeting, but I can outline a high-level plan in the next day or so.

It's crazy, and it would be big-time, but it is doable.

Now, I need to tell my bride...

2. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    It's ~1,100 miles. Plan for 7 days...

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray,

Fantastic idea, I'd love to help you out however I can.

4. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks for the bump!

I was looking through the RAAM materials at the route to get a sense of what is what.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam2.php?N_webcat_id=7

It would be reverse, from here to where the race crosses the Kansas line, and then straight north to KC.

I know a few folks who have ridden RAAM, so I am going to reach out to them for information.

It is a big undertaking, and it would take a team of folks to do it. It's not about the training so much as the logistics. To make it safer, I would plan to only ride 12 hours each day, maximizing daylight. I don't need to go the whole RAAM 20 hours of riding each 24 hours race pace.

It could be huge--in a lot of different ways. Publicity for both teams and cancer organizations, fundraising, all of it!

Oh, and I still need to talk with my wife about this...

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great if the game fell on a Sat (but as MLS hosed up our plans for Pacific NW Invasion this year I'm not holding my breath!). We could have a tailgate on both ends. Getting the MLS sched in time for planning is going to be the big difficulty (and the ride!).

K