Former MLS player Danny Szetela arrested in a bar room brawl

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by patrickdavila, Feb 16, 2011.

1. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I like how, in the article, they don't even acknowledge that he was a professional footballer. Poor Danny Szetela.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering what had happened to Danny. I was really hoping his name would pop up in MLS preseason. I didn't think it would pop up this way. Lots can be said and interpreted from the arrest. It's bound to stir up some rumors. But whatever the case, it's sad. It's not the end of the world but it could put a little dent in any return to the pro game.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He was available to any club on Earth for all of 2010, after being released by a club in DC United that was desparate for competent warm bodies. No takers.........even though he has a Euro passport.

Danny Szetela is example 9709 of how American soccer fans pay WAAAAAAAAY too much attention to results at youth levels. As a pro Danny Szetela has done nothing. He was mediocre at best for the Crew. He managed to have a decent U20WC against Polish teenagers, and that got him a move to Racing Santander. Virtually immediately after arriving at Santander, they tried to get rid of him. They shipped him off to Brescia in Serie B, where he was competent at best. After being released by Santander, he latched on to DC, who practically immediately dumped him.

What Danny needs to do if he still wants to play soccer.........is sign on with an NASL team, or head to Europe and sign on with whatever club will take him. If that's a team in the Austrian 3rd division like another supposed New Jersey superstar-to-be (Vincenzo Bernardo), than so be it.

But it seems to be fairly clear that MLS clubs are avoiding him like the plague. And don't feel sorry for him. What's happened to him is nobody's fault but his own.

I would like to add that this bar story may absolutely be nothing. No details. Maybe his drunk older brother got into a fight, and Danny was coming to his defense. Who the hell knows................

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't blame the Brawlin' Szetelas. Being told you look like The Situation is grounds to throw-down in parts of Jersey.

7. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Funny how you leave the clubs and the us soccer out of your criticism.

If I were Mrs. Szetela, I'd be pissed at my 30 year old son. He oughta know better than to lead his brothers into a melee.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think it's because of a lack of talent that teams are avoiding him.

It's because he's a punk-ass headcase with an enlarged sense of entitlement and no team wants that around their locker room.

From early on Danny and his family have thought more highly of his ability than folks in the soccer industry. There's the story of the Everton deal falling apart after his mom demanded more money and Everton said "see ya" and walked away.

There's, of course, the infamous lottery day picture which basically sums up his attitude in Columbus: he thought he was too good to be there.

Then there was him constantly trying to escape to Europe even though he'd done nothing at the club level to justify such a move. (Note to other prospects: don't hire Shep Messing as your agent.)

There are the stories at DCU of how he big-timed everyone when he got back and had piss-poor training habits and an even worse attitude and how he was loathed by most of the team.

As noted, this kid's downfall was almost all self-inflicted and, sadly, it seems like it was enabled by his family.

I also don't think this is the last time we'll hear Danny's name in the news for less-than-good reasons, though I hope I'm wrong about that one.

9. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to be considered a professional 'footballer' you'd actually have to be getting paid for playing the sport. Currently that's not happening for Szetela.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I leave the clubs and US soccer out of the criticism.......because Danny Szetela's predicament is solely Danny Szetela's doing. (As Sandon has described).

Personally, I think it's time we stop blaming US soccer and MLS every time one of these supposed prodigies doesn't fulfill our expectations. Danny Szetela has gotten plenty of chances in the US, Italy, Spain, etc.

11. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He can always go back to college for a degree.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, in theory he gets tuition money from MLS from his initial GA contract.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    There's nothing stopping him from being the next place kicker at Ohio St, is there?

He should ask around and see if any Big 10 teams are looking for a place-kicker (as he wouldn't even need a full scholarship, depending on how much GA money might be available to him).

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Other than OSU being in Columbus, no.

15. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hasbeens have fallen... So long Danny we hardly knew ye.

16. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Few if any American players play in Spain and Italy's top flight. So he had his chances he was NOT good enough.

17. Prazan

Prazan New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Prague
  18. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Man it just makes me feel honored to have a game worn CONCACAF Champions League Danny Szetela jersey.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the money. It's getting pretty old that everytime a can't-miss prospect misses, there are a cadre of people that want to blame the entire US soccer establishment.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It's the millionth example of a talented youth who didn't have the drive and determination to get a little better at what he does until the end. He had a foundation of talent where he could have had a solid 10 year pro career. You could see as he played and his demeanor he didn't want to work for it. He easily had the talent to be a Beckerman, Larentowicz type player. Its not our fault he failed its his.

21. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm, he's already been a pro athlete he's not eligible to play any NCAA sport.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yikes, I had no idea how much of a locker room cancer Danny was. I heard he had issues with partying.... but had no idea it was like that with his family and him thinking his 'shit doesnt stink'.

He showed some hope with DCU when I remember him playing in centrla mid in the CCL, but now I understand why they got rid of him. Talented....but NOT THAT talented.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The security camera footage of the brawl is in (and looks as if it's been helmed by Quentin Tarantino, no less)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dLRTdVtQCg"]YouTube - Kill Bill - Ballroom Blitz[/ame]

24. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    This is schadenfreude at it's finest for me, that guy's punk who is a USL-Pro level starter at best. Get over yourself Danny, everyone else has.

25. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are incorrect.

He would not be allowed to play soccer through the NCAA.

Former MLS P-40 Devin Barclay is the place kicker at Ohio State.