(BL: Matchday 19) FC Bayern München gg. 1 FC. Kaiserslautern 22.01.2011 [R]

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by ForeverRed, Jan 19, 2011.

1. miasanmia

miasanmia Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You guys remember MvB's through ball to Robben yesterday, Robs pretty much only had the goalkeeper to beat?

See at around 1:55 onwards.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/bayern-munich-kaiserslautern-8256855/

Now, it reminded me a lot of a very similar scene from last season, when we beat Hannover 7-0. Back then the second goal was Robben's, also from a similar ball by MvB.

At around 0:48.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlqMmu16UY"]YouTube - fc bayern vs hannover 96 - alle tore - 7-0 _ (17.04.2010).mp4[/ame]

Memories anyone?

2. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Maybe he needs to play RCM or LM , but it's probably a confidence thing

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You said that the more possession, the more it shows that we play better. That's focking bullshit and I just showed you from the final as an example. Teams can let us play with the ball and pass it around all day long like Inter did, we can get the high passing % and still loose. Moot point, but I can't wait how you'll add another useless point that has nothing to do with this.

Well congratulations on being captain obvious and adding another point that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Took you long. :D It's embarrassing how if people take their time and see how little point is added from you when you a bit of attention.

4. Fernando_Bayern_BR

May 5, 2010
    Belo Horizonte - Bra
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I couldn't comment on the game earlier because I had some problems with my Internet connection, but here we go.

We had a poor 1st half in my opinion, we let the Kaiser's have to many chances but we were lucky that their offense is shitty, but that kind of mistakes are fatal against a quality side (cof Inter cof). But there is still time to work things out. Although we had a poor 1st half, it ended with a brilliant pass by Müller that resulted into Robben's 1st goal of the season.

The 2nd Half, well, reminded me of last season team, with everybody doing an outstanding work playing alongside a genius player. Even when we concede a goal in that atrocious mistake by Tymo, I wasn't worried, because we were playing in another level. All goals, apart from the 3rd, were beautifully constructed and it was a superb display (in the 2nd half).

I was just wondering why Van Gaal benched Breno ?? He was doing ok in my opinion and he needs to play constantly to gather experience and form, if he is to be the "CB for the future" that the Management talks about.

5. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Breno was probably benched to ensure both van bommel AND tymo can start.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can you point out where this was concluded please?

I think the point all along has been that in order to execute the team plan, possession is a necessary means to that end. Bayern having possession all the time doesn't always guarantee a win or tons of goals but it's absolutely essential in controlling the tempo of the match and then creating chances. It's also a skill to be able to hold possession this well, or control the tempo and dictate the pace of a given match. This is an overlooked but important tactic but the difference between a Kaiserslautern and an Inter match isn't that Bayern needed to play possession or not, it's in the third of the pitch - the attack, the tactical variety upfront and the dynamics of the strikes that ultimately prove the possession based game to be purposeful. For Barca it works because they have the ability to capitalize when the ball gets up there. Bayern do to, against smaller sides but against Inter they were simply out of ideas and didn't match Inter. That's where the criticism should go to. Suffice to say these are issues that are being refined obviously but don't believe for a second that once they are, the possession-based play that van Gaal has been grooming the players into won't be beneficial - in fact it will become even more important.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First of all, I initially said passing, not possession. Pay attention, there is a difference. And although the two are related, especially within the context of this style of play, it was a particular statement that is backed by actual results/performances if you look at our record this and last season.

Even soo, the Inter game is one example of what can happen, it's not the consensus. Did you watch many of our games last season for example? You pick the one game in which we failed and that was the case for reasons other than the % of possession and passing. Note very team can defend the way Inter did, that was specific to their gameplan as can be seen by the rest of their CL campaign. In other words, they did it because they could. Their defense was that good. So of course we can have high % and still lose, that's totally glaring over the point though. Why are you thinking in extremes again?

Instead of picking an isolated incident can you elaborate like I asked you to?

Hey, you're the fool that used Robben as an example to discount the significance of those statistics. I explained why in certain cases it is not entirely descriptive of a performance. Still doesn't take away from the overall point though does it? Not every player has the same role. Is this so difficult for you to understand?

8. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just saw Müller's pass. Fantastic :eek:

Most of the goals were great

9. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I just rewatched the game(missed most of it due to crappy streams). We were really bad expect maybe the final 10 minutes where FCK probably got tired. The 5-1 is really flattering. The only standouts were Van Bommel and Robben. Muller was also quite good. Schweini was really disappointing as were Tymo and Badstuber. Our CB's are crucial in our system because it relies on building attacks from the back and they both failed in this aspect. Gustavo(in the first half) and Pranjic also didn't really help both in the tackling and the creative part of the game.

10. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Badstuber is absolutely pathetic in his attempts to "build-up"... the way he has to touch the ball 5 times with his left foot in order to get into position to pass is laughable. It seems like he only uses his right foot in order to run/walk. I guess he's an OK defender though, although I am still not convinced he is a longterm answer. The same can be said about Breno.

11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Possession, passing, I mixed up the word but at the end of the day they are related.

The bolded part shows that this stat for either Bayern or Barca is meaningless for the most part. We will have possession and high passing percentage in almost every single game of the season, at times some with a little less. We were a bit more direct for example in the 4-0 CL win that I remember from this season, now passing % may have decreased since we passed the ball forward more often doesn't mean we played badly.

One example? How about the entire first half of the season last year? We practically held the ball the entire match but they countered once or twice and scored on us. This was when Schweini was doing what your awesome great passer does, pass the ball sideways or back whenever there is an opponent 15 yards close to him. Incredibly dull, incredibly boring, plenty of possession, lots of completed passes and crap results. Most of the first half of the season consisted of this, people were even whining how all we would do is pass the ball around and do nothing substantial with it. The only purpose of our great passing % and possession was to ensure our opponents don't have the ball.

I literally explained this same point yet you overlook and keep mouthing crap again and again since you're so desperate to prove how such a useless stat for Bayern's system should be used for anything.. at all. I bet Ottl's passing has improved dramatically since Van Gaal took over. Look at your retarded logic, he automatically got better at it. :D I just picked Inter's match specifically because it's the best example of having possession and lots of passing. We basically had 67% I think by the end of the match and created 3 chances all match.

Ahhh ok, so then once we look at your list, we pick every single player and make an analysis on which % is appropriate for each player and the position they play. Jesus wept... Wow, this sounds like a fantastic piece of information. :D Perfect for you & your brother to treat it like a Math formula. And once your brother stops holding your hand, let him know that no matter how much statistics he can throw or statements that we all knew by the time we were 12 about football, is still not enough to make him the internet coach/teacher he so desperately wants to be.

12. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That happened at times but it doesn't tell the entire story because it's not simply about possession or passing for the sake of it but about execution, that's what you're glossing over. That happened against Kaiserslautern, Gladbach or Koeln for example but not necessarily against teams like Bremen, Leverkusen, Dortmund, Schalke or Hamburg for example.

If you think Van Gaal's philosophy rests on the idea that we simply need to keep the ball away from the other team you must think he has no place in professional football. Possession is not the end itself but a means to an end. The same goes for our passing game.

The reason why it didn't always work is the same reason it didn't work against Inter. First, it's not refined enough to be as effective against some of the better teams (which explains the above citations of our Bundesliga opponents) and second, we are missing at times the incisiveness needed to make it count. Hence, our stale form in the first half of the season or our ineptitude against Inter last year.

Your problem is the inability to distinguish subtleties and argue based on large scale generalizations. Your lumping in with Robben in the original statement and using it to define your greater general argument is the perfect example of that. Obviously you must now understand the difference and why Robben's % was/is low and how that has nothing to do with his performance.

You're just being silly now. It's not about individual improvement, it's about utilizing players differently and according to a specifically tailored system. What is wrong with you?

Instead of being a smartass, tell me, do you or do you not understand why Robben's % was the only one different from the others and why, in that context, it did not matter. Honestly, because this is not something that's up for debate or anything and if you admit that you don't understand the connection here I can try to explain it better and we can move on.