MLS - 1st league to have West Coast Bias?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MRschizoid21, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other day I was thinking about its presence on the Wes Coast compared to other leagues when I came to the realization that next year, 1/3 of the whole league will be based in the Pacific Time Zone!:eek:
    Including RSL and Colorado in the Mountain Time Zone gives 8/18 = 44%

Comparing the other leagues in the Pacific and Mountain Time Zones:

NFL - 6/32 (18.8%)
    NBA - 8/30 (26.7%)
    NHL - 8/30 (26.7%)
    MLB - 8/30 (26.7%)

having nearly 44% of the league would be a record for American sports as I'm sure it never went higher than

9/23 (39.1%) in the NBA right before late 1980's expansion.

Reason why I think this could be unprecedented is that while the other sports expanded West, the Eastern teams who were already there often had decades of a following and history.

Meanwhile, MLS has yet to complete decade 2 and it is already Western heavy.We are coming off a year where the Western Conference took 6 spots in the playoffs (anomaly, but still. More exposure in those markets). And like it or not, the introduction of Seattle into the league and their noisemaking seems like it is only going to be amplified with their rivals Portland and Vancouver joining in the spring.

What do you think?

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We certainly have more western teams per capita than most leagues. When Montreal comes in as the 19th and then probably NY (or somewhere else in the East) comes in as the 20th, it'll be a slightly lower percentage, but still more than other sports. Bad for trying to catch games as a fan on the East coast... that's for sure, but maybe better for fans on the West coast to get more games in prime time.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the difference in starting a league at the end of the 20th century instead of the beginning or middle of the 20th century.

4. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as much as people hate to hear it, the PNW is about to become the mecca for American soccer. So, I'd definitely say that it will have a west coast bias in that sense.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Bias? Is that really the word you want to use.
    In fact isn't unbiased in the sense they are establishing franchises based on ownership, stadiums, and fan support and not on geographic proportionality.

6. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per capita maybe. But in terms of available markets for future expansion I'd say we are getting close to tapped out for those two time zones.

If there is expansion past 20 it will mostly be in the east.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless we're going to duble up in the Bay Area, i think the only real Pacific/Mountain cities left are San Diego and Phoenix. And I think its more likely that Chivas moves South to San Diego than an expansion team goes there.

8. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Interesting thread.

For sake of comparison, here are the percentages for the population by time zone (which doesn't reflect the most recent census data):

Eastern.......................47.0%
    Central........................32.9%
    Mountain.......................5.4%
    Pacific.........................14.1%
    Alaska and Hawaii…….......0.6%

Link (note, it's a pdf file):

http://www.newtimezones.com/pdfs/current_economic_crisis.pdf

It's interesting how close the NFL franchises follow this distribution:

Eastern (17 teams) . . . . . . . . 53.1%
    Central (9 teams) . . . . . . . . . 28.1%
    Mountain/Pacific (6 teams). . . 18.8%

Put another way, just over 81.2% of the NFL franchises are located in the Eastern and Central Time Zones, where 79.9% lives. They can't get much closer than that.

I think each MLS market needs to be judged on its individual merits, but I think this data just highlights MLS' lack of a presence in the Southeastern United States. MLS will have only will have about 58% of its teams (that is, 11 of 19) in the Eastern and Central time zones even after Montreal joins the fold. Of course, two of the Eastern/Central time zone teams will also be in Canada; pull out the three Canadian teams and MLS will have only 9 of its 16 US teams (56.25%) in the Eastern/Central time zones.

I'm not sure what impact that distribution has on TV ratings or sponsorships, but it's something to keep in mind as MLS seeks to add teams 20 and beyond.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS also doesn't have much a blueprint in the industrial midEast. The NFL has teams in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit (all pretty big cities, particularly Detroit) whereas MLS only has a team in Columbus (a very small, comparatively, city).

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Subtracting the entire South, much of which is in the Eastern time zone, tends to promote such a bias, no?

It's the inability (perceived or otherwise) of the South, including Florida, to be a fertile ground for generating soccer support on a decent scale that has led to this.

Imagine if you took Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Carolina, Tennessee and New Orleans out of the NFL.

Not that I blame Garber--Toronto and Seattle have shown the way forward with the demographic MLS is most after.

What's so sick about all this is that Boston represents that demographic to the nth degree and we'll be lucky if there's a stadium there in the next 20 years.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Would it be a bias against the south for not having a franchise or would it be a bias toward having successful franchises. An unbiased approach of MLS franchises based on criteria needed would not place a franchise in the south.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, the general distribution in the west is about what you expect, except ts Portland and Vancouver that are the odd cases. 2 Teams in LA and 1 in SJ make sense, and Seattle as a market makes sense, if you are just talking about the 18 largest markets (New York and LA are so large they really do demand multiple teams). But Portland and Vancouver are unusual market selections, except the Pacific Northwest seems very friendly to the sport, so when you start picking smaller markets, they make sense. But it does lead to misrepresentation.

Its not that these are poor markets, its just that having both of them is a bit surprising. That said, San Diego is another very viable possibility, as is Phoenix. I also think that you see an unusual number of western cities cluster in that sweet spot where they are at the tail end of "major league" cities. There are a lot of eastern metro areas around 1 million population, which really raises the total, but doesn't make them viable markets.

13. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So... who's moving to the eastern conference for the '11 season? Maybe Don will tell us when he explains the new playoff system. Has it been 30 days since MLS Cup?

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

15. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is another thing that I was thinking about. Is MLS leading us to a different growth model for a sports league or are we really nearing the end of viable new markets? For example, will any potential expansion teams be simply introducing a 2nd team to a city or close to another team's geographical "base"?

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If you build it, they will come."

I think that line from "Field of Dreams" sums it up best. The West Coast has spent decades building soccer support. The number of national team and pro soccer players from California and the Pacific Northwest is evidence of that. Its no surprise that MLS teams have a great chance for success in Cali and the PNW.

MLS in America is built on hotbeds of soccer interest: California, PNW, New York, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, etc. The only real hot beds of soccer interest untapped (imo) are the Carolinas and St. Louis.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is still on the Texas teams going East and KC coming West.

18. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I think that's probably right. If you look at the teams in the NFL and MLS, both leagues have two teams in the sparsely populated Mountain Time Zone (Denver/Arizona v. Denver/Salt Lake), both leagues have three teams in California, and both leagues have teams in Seattle. It's really the Pacific Northwest teams that increase MLS' concentration in the west.

But much of the recent expansion has been driven by the quality of the ownership groups, which is why the league is in Salt Lake City and not San Diego or Phoenix. Having reached critical mass, however, it wouldn't surprise me if MLS fills in gaps by trying to get new ownership groups to look at specific markets (which is really what I think happened in Philadelphia -- the league helped bring that ownership group together).

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could rightfully inclde Sacramento, but expand the Bay Area to include all of Northern Calfiornia. Also, The Inland Empire, though part of the LA Region, is far and away the largest region/sub-region in the country w/o a major league sports team.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no necessity to move anybody, since the alignment has no effect on the scheduling format this year. It could easily be 10/8, preparing for 10/9 next year.

21. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    yea no point in really moving anyone cause the next 2 teams gonna be in the eastern conference anyways assuming NY Cosmos is #20

22. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    that's right. everyone looks for their niche (and soccer is a niche sport by definition in these parts). the nhl 'created rivalries' by putting three teams in the nyc area. mls is going about it with three teams in the northwest.

if you calculate the number of teams in west coast states vs the teams in east coast states, the ratio for mls is higher than any other league. basically, it's the only league to have more 'west coast state' teams than 'east coast state' ones.

and the western slant of mls also might have to do, imo, with the fact that some of the business leaders of mls are western folks.

23. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    *cough* Vegas *cough*

24. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL didn't create rivalries by putting three teams in the NYC metro area. The Isles got a ticket to the NHL to keep the WHA out of NY. The Devils moved to NJ after McMullen bought the Rockies to play at the Meadowlands after things soured for them in Denver and he agreed to pay the rangers, isles, and flyers an indemnity for infringing their territories.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Las Vegas, NM isn't big enough for a team! :D