Darlington Nagbe

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by juventino3, Dec 16, 2010.

1. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Anyone know if Nagbe is a US citizen? I believe he's been here since 2001.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  3. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says near the bottom of his official Akron bio page that he has previously played with the US U15 team. I assume that this means he is a citizen.

What's his birth year? 1990?

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=1483962

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Ives said he's not a US citizen... maybe someone can ask him for clarification in his next Q&A.

Someone should really look into this for both Nagbe and Mattocks:

- US citizen?
    - green card?
    - on the path to citizenship? how far along?
    - interested in playing for USMNT? another country?

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mattacks is Jamaican. Not Jeff Cunningham Jamaican..........Jamaican, Jamaican. (mon) He'll be on their U23 team for Olympic qualifying.

I've learned over time that a kid playing in our ODP system or early youth teams like U15's........doesn't mean he's actually eligible for the USMNT. Nagbe isn't a citizen now according to reports, but probably will be in the future. I could be wrong, but I believe his family is originally from Liberia.............and that's not really a soccer powerhouse.

Nagbe's probably in a Mwanga-like situation regarding citizenship.

6. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is from Liberia. The college bio also states that his dad was the captain of the Liberian national team.

7. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Some lazy folks on this board. Here's a couple of nice quotes from this article:

"Darlington Nagbe, who, like his mother and father, was born in Liberia, lets his playing do most of the talking".

"Joe and Somah Nagbe moved to the United States and Cleveland's East Side when Darlington was 11".

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know his girlfriends scream out "Oh Darling!" at their, ahem, Special Moment.

9. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hilarious

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    His nickname needs to be "County."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_h5iDU1iA"]YouTube - Darlington County - Bruce Springsteen - Paris 85[/ame]

Sarah Palin would probably love for him to date her daughter, since she named her after a NASCAR track as well.

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, I was just about to post a question asking if he has a brother named Rockingham or a sister named Daytona. Beat me to the punch.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He's not a U.S. citizen.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Presumably a lot of people's girlfriends do this.

14. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    He's not a US Citizen yet.

And if he is picked by Vancouver (and forced to play there) in the MLS draft it will set back his citizenship.

15. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No worries, then. Portland for Nagbe.

16. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vancouver was well aware of the predicament.

17. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    From the MLS page. Not that I think that this is correct, it's just what the MLS Soccer . com site has for Darlington.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/player/darlington-nagbe

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    ESPN said during the draft he was in Ottawa getting his P-1 visa.

That's basically a work visa for athletes and entertainers.

If this is correct, it means Nagbe is a ways from US citizenship as he doesn't even have a Green Card yet.

Unless the ESPN report was wrong and he was getting a Green Card issued at a consulate in Canada, then I think we can basically close this thread on this forum as Nagbe won't be playing for any US youth national team.

19. cultureman

cultureman Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I will agree with your point.Liberians who arrived fleeing the civil war were not granted green cards on their initial entry.They were instead granted some form of refugee status which requires some congressional action just recently to extend their stay.Our boy may just be caught in this unfortunately.I hope he is able to sort it out with this fantastic opportunity that he has.

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    For the 9 millionth time:

Darlington Nagbe is not a U.S. citizen.

21. coyoteman33

coyoteman33 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    PDX, OR, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As he is the Timbers Number 1 draft pick he is currently in one of our expansion slots. I am sure the team will help him become a national eventually.

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely seems to want to stay in the US. Where he sits in the citizenship process who knows, but I doubt he will ever be able to suit up for a US YNT. The process just takes sooooo long now.

23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the reasons being reported for his not wanting to go to Vancouver was that he was worried that it would derail the green card application process. He's a very long way off if that's the case.

I agree. Doubtful he's going to be a USMNT concern, not for lack of want I'm sure.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perhaps 4-5 years from now, if he hasn't represented Liberia...........we'll revisit Nagbe. It's gonna be a while. And it certainly won't be for our youth teams.

I was reading somewhere a few months ago tha Liberia keeps close tabs on their prospects in the US. Alex Nimo being one.......and Nagbe being another. If I remember correctly, the other kid mentioned in the article was Adama Makai at VA Tech.

Liberia knows he's here, and they'll be recruiting Darlington for quite a long time before we even can start thinking about calling him up.

25. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well if he eventually plays for Liberia he will still be repping the star and stripes:

[​IMG]

Liberia is kind of a mini-America in West Africa. Formed by freed American slaves, capital named after James Monroe, official language English ... it would almost like playing for the US if you squinted real hard and tilted your head at just the right angle ... but not quite :)