New freedom owner Q+A

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Fanaddict, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ....are we in April?....

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please kill me now.

1. He's going to dump the name of what's probably the most recognized team in women's club soccer and one with a ten-year history.

2. Instead of the twelve matches in the DC area that I've already paid for there may be only four.

3. And basically he sounds like a NeSmith, so it wouldn't surprise me that in a couple years he decides it's not fun any more, walks away, and blames the fans for not showing up.

My post-Solo threat to switch my allegiance to the local W-League and WPS teams is looking better all the time.

4. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am just hoping that either he was being "funny" or is some kind of New Owner Temporary Hubris syndrome.

I mean. Move the team. Call it Florida Freedom. Stay away from Marta :)D). And just....keep it sane.

5. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I like the South Florida idea however that is going to be a major problem for fans in Washington and season ticket buyers who have already bought tickets. That would basically be shafting them over. He's very exuberant and passionate, I think it's good to have a fresh perspective to be honest which he has, maybe a little over the top and needs to fine tune his ideas more, but I guess we'll see what happens. Not much has been working so far for owners so I refuse to complain before he starts work.

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    He sounds batshit crazy and I feel like hugging the Freedom fans. And I'm not a hugger.

7. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    MagicJack FC Preliminary Lineup:

Forwards : Marta, Cristiane, Abby (Wambach)

Midfielders : Fabiana, Rosana, Formiga

Defenders : Becky (Sauerbrunn), Kristi (Eveland), Nikki (Marshall), Jill (Gilbeau)

Goalkeeper : Erin (McLeod)

8. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    As horrible and insane as the Freedom situation sounds, something tells me there are a lot of people in Los Angeles, St Louis, and San Jose who wish they had this problem.

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

WOW, they'll be the next Gold Pride.
    Win a championship with "BY FAR" the most expensive talent in the league.
    And then disband as a franchise just a few short weeks after hoisting the WPS championship trophy.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    would you guys have preferred the freedom to fold?

maybe he's crazy.

but maybe he's got great ideas.

he definitely kept the team and maybe the league alive.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This, 100x. Much better to cheer magicJack FC for four or five out of nine games than the Freedom for zero of nine. Though don't worry, typing "magicJack FC" makes me shudder as well.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Maybe random fans will get free (sealed) boxes of MagicJack thrown to them in the crowd. You can save tons of money on your phone service you know. A great supplementary product to go with your cell phone. Traditional (old-fashion) home phone service is obsolete. If you're under 50 years of age and still have that old service, shame on you. Only elderly people should have it by now.

13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    magicJack FC? Really? :rolleyes:

14. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Actually, magicJack Hotspur might be more appropriate.

15. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    He might be going bonkers but in this I agree:

who knows.. he might work out OK

16. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The magicJack Globetrotters, eh? :D
    Oh my ... Freedom fans are in for a wild ride. The only "good" news in this may be his rigid business approach. I doubt that splitting your hometwon will help the odds. The examples given include teams trying to leech of richer cities/markets. With WPS and womensoccer I`d rather be concerned to build a solid basement - not abandon the existing bits.

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Team name and Logo:

FC MagicJack - Lady Broadband (for broadband phone service)

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But with an owner like this how long before we join them? I'd rather go down as the Washington Freedom than as the Magic Jack FC.

Meanwhile, the more I think about splitting home venues over that kind of distance, the less sense it makes. Where are you going to house the players? How much is it going to cost? Do you really want to be playing 13 or 14 away games a year, which is what this would boil down to?

19. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Easy for me to say....but If I were a Freedom supporter I'd rather Borislow just do what he wants to do and move the team to Florida NOW rather than draw it out over a year or two...This will be a Florida team full time eventually I'm sure....

Hopefully then the Hendricks' can find another investor in the area...and field an expansion team in '12 or '13....

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 (well, I am a hugger...)

Gayle Bryan posts her reaction She didn't use the phrase "batshit crazy" but you can tell she's thinking it...

21. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    If the league lets him do it they are forcing the rest of the teams into increased travel costs. I think the dude is crazy myself. We'll just have to see how much the league actually lets him get away with.

Also, re the note about us old folks and our "old fashioned" phones - well, sometimes ya gotta have one in order to have a security system.... just sayin'.

22. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    It may have been in my first draft! I hate to be negative and I appreciate the guy's enthusiasm, but it is hard to see someone with those expectations staying the course longterm.

23. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    This guy sounds bonkers; as a Freedom/magicJack FC season ticket holder, I"m not happy to hear that I may only be getting 4? home games. I don't live in the immediate DC area and it makes me wonder if it's worth my time at all to continue to commit to this team. I don't feel like there is any committment from the team to me.

I don't know how you build a real fanbase while splitting your time between two areas so far apart. And I'd echo others who wonder how the players would deal with this? This doesn't sound like a potentially successful long term plan.

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the long-term plan is to move the team to Florida. But I don't think it makes sense in the short-term, either.

25. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Does Freedom even have a new coach or President/General manager? How can they build a team without a coach and people running the team?