GOP failure watch

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you could shit sunshine your failure thread would be short too

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama's numbers are going down because of the debt debate and the economy...they have virtually nothing to do with the state of the race yet...when we get to the Olympics people will start tuning in.

3. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Duh! The lamestream media.

4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Democrats lack leaders willing to get out there on talk shows and throw haymakers. Reid and Pelosi are effective policy wonks, and decent at getting things done - but even if they had the will to be the attack dogs, I don't think they'd be that effective. They're mild-mannered statespeople at heart. That's true of the whole party right now. The one guy who loved to get out there and duke it out sent pictures of his genitalia to strange women and stepped down. I think it's hard to overestimate the impact of his departure from a PR standpoint.

But I totally agree. The rank and file Dems need to be pounding the podium, vilifying any and all things Republican as anti-American, and generally being as pugnacious as possible. They lack those qualities and I hope their milquetoast rhetoric doesn't get torn to shreds.

EDIT: and Biden should be doubling down on his terrorist rhetoric - not backing away from it.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you don't mean this literally.

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a hyperbolic way of saying the Dems need to toughen up.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, ok.

You know what I would suggest the Democrats do? Stop being as much of a failure as the GOP. Then, maybe, you can criticize them.

How to stop being a failure like the GOP #1: Stop bombing Muslims.

#2: Give a shit about civil rights.

#3: End the Drug War.

#4: Stop corporate welfare.

#5: Stop being for an all-powerful Presidency.

Of course, to do all these things, they would have to kick Barack Obama to the curb, so that will never happen, so any criticisms they make can't be all that terrible.

8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG - I have never known your positions on these things before!

You should totes start a new party!

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is not that those are new positions, but that those are positions that both the Republican and Democratic parties share, and all are terrible positions which do not benefit the country at all.

These are all positions that a true liberal should support, and a true liberal party should support. Yet, Barack Obama supports the opposite of all of those.

So again, you want Democrats to go after Republicans, but how can they when they believe in so much the Republicans do?

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which Republicans are you refering to? They have more heads than Medusa

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainstream Republicans. Other than Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, and a few others that aren't well-known, can you name any that don't believe in any of these points?

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ron Paul is the only Presidential candidate who opposes killing puppies.

Or something.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No wonder the cat-lobby controlled media shuts him out.

14. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there's still substantive stuff where there's real daylight between the parties. Education, Environmental Protection, Economic Stimulus, Healthcare, Social Safety Net, etc. etc. etc.

On all of these things, the Republicans want to cut government out and let the chips fall where they may. Those are huge policy differences, and it should be highlighted that the Republicans are willing to abandon a population that needs help in order to sustain tax cuts for the wealthy.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In a recent survey, 87% of Republicans said they wanted less government, while 77% of Democrats said they wanted more.

That's a stark difference -- and that's why it's reasonable for a Dem to be concerned about Obama when he talks about the need to cut spending substantially. That's the clearest signal possible that one is moving from being a Dem to Republican, by reducing the role of government.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually, he just opposes the government's monopoly of puppy killing. People should be able to kill as many puppies as they want.

17. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of the opinion that there is probably plenty of spending to be cut without reducing the effectiveness of government. Obama said last night on his interview with Blitzer that the cuts to Medicare he's interested in making are on the cost side, not reductions in services to recipients. I've worked in enough bureaucracies to know that there is almost always an opportunity to be more cost effective without reducing the quality of service. I am for an improvement in the efficiency of delivery of public services by the government.

It's when you start reducing the quality and scope of services available to the public that I get my panties in a bunch. And I get doubly bunchy when you cut services that save pennies in the near term despite known, proven huge cost impacts later (for example: family planning, preventative health care, early-childhood education).

I do think our President is trying to cut the cost of delivering services, not the services themselves. And I'm ok with that.

18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hahaha

Yeah - and cuts to services will only be cuts to backroom bureaucrats - not to frontline staff :p

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Big cat strikes again.

21. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is as stupid as calling Republicans fascist. Congratulations, you have rendered all terms meaningless.

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations, you have demonstrated your lack of knowledge of the English language. It's ok, not everyone can be experts at English.

If you prefer "statist", then you are free to substitute that.

If not, how would you describe the Bush and Obama administrations? I'd love to hear that.

23. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You said that most of the people on these boards are Democratic/leftist/authoritarian. Here's your quote again:

Do you even remember what you wrote?

And saying that we're authoritarian is just as stupid as the poster who called the Republicans "terrorist" during the debt ceiling negotiations.

Then I guess they need to take away my PhD in English. :rolleyes:

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have corrected your post for grammatical errors and fragmented sentences/phrases.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina