Auction Draft-Signup Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Cevno, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was thinking of starting a draft on here based on the level of interest-

The basics would be that each person has a fixed budget to spend on their 11-man squad and for each round submits silent bids on the fixed list of players in that round. You can bid for as many or as few as you want in each round but can only get 1 player per round.

The highest overall bid received in a round gets that player, then the highest for the remaining players in the round and so on. If someone is left without a valid bid then they will pay a sum to be determined for whatever player is left over (equivalent to the highest amount bid in that round)

I would anticipate that each round would last for 3-4 days or so (to allow everyone a chance to think over their bids) and I would keep track of everyone's individual budgets (results of each round won't contain the prices bid)

I don't propose a limit on participants in this as for each round we will only have a certain number of players on offer.

The players to be put up for auction in the next round will be picked by the managers - one each (included in the email so nobody knows who has proposed who) - any duplicates I will make up the numbers from world players.

The goal would be to pick a squad of 12 players and from that pick the best 11.

Any ideas will be welcomed and if they make more sense than what I've posted then I'll incorporate them.

Please mention here if you are interested. Obviously i won't participate as that would be unfair.;)

The rules for Drafting are-

1) This is a all time draft ,and all players to have played at atleast the top division in their countries are allowed.

2)You have to pick a squad of 13 players and then finally select a 11 from them.

3)You have a budget of 300 million Available to bid for these 13 players in 13 rounds.

4)All E-mails for draft need to be send to bsauctiondraft@gmail.com for both nominations as well as bids.
    Please E-mail me unless there is a absolute urgency in which case you can PM me also.

5)Each drafter puts up 1 player up for nomination for the next round along with his next nomination

This is a example of how it works-

Basically everyone sends me a Email / PM nominating a player you want to be put up for auction AT bsauctiondraft@gmail.com.

Then i list up all the nominated players for example if there are 3 participants-

Pele
    Maradona
    Cruyff

Then from the 300 million pot available to you ,bid for each player or as many as you want

Cruyff -23 million
    Pele-40 million
    Maradona-26 million

Now if anyone has bid more than 40 million for Pele then you do not get him and get maradona instead if it is the highest bid for him .If it is not then you get Cruyff for 23 million.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Players available:
    Current or all time?

3. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All time is what i thought.

Though i am open to doing current also if that is what people want.

4. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is this the right place to post this?

If so,please whoever is interested post here-

Seems so far there is a lack of interest?

5. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I'm in, but only if it's all time. :)

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I might be interested. I don't really get how it works though.:eek:

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If it's all-time I'd be interested. I wonder if rather than having a set pool of players from nominations etc, we could say that any player can be bid for at any time? Perhaps each drafter could submit 3 attempts to buy a player each round eg £20m for player A, £17m for player B if A is unsuccessful and £3m for player C if B is unsuccessful. If none were successful in a particular round then we could either pick from a list of 'sheep' like in the Sheep Draft or be allowed to pick any player for a set fee (maybe £1m) with the unsuccesful drafters of which there shouldn't be many going in alphabetical order or reverse alphabetical order (alternating each round). The alphabetical order could be used as a tie-breaker if exactly the same bids are submitted too perhaps.
    These are just ideas so let me know if they don't seem good ones - I'd probably take part whatever the rules. I like the idea of auctioning (the original fantasy league games were done this way in the early 90's) anyway.
    And I've used pounds for my example but euro's would be the currency probably (irrelevant though really).

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Definately the right place, especially if it's all-time. I can mention it in the Soccer History Group if you like but I think most people would log on here more often anyway. The weekends are often quieter (less users online) I think. I guess a lot of the people who did the Sheep Draft (Schwuppe and Karloski already) might be interested, plus those like Gregoriak who did the All-Time Draft, lanman who organised the Sheep Draft, maybe others like Babaorum who often post here.... I think once the rules are established it would get enough interest.:)

9. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Basically everyone sends me a Email / PM nominating a player you want to be put up for auction AT bsauctiondraft@gmail.com.

Then i list up all the nominated players for example if there are 3 participants-

Pele
    Maradona
    Cruyff

Then from the 300 million pot available to you ,bid for each player or as many as you want

Cruyff -23 million
    Pele-40 million
    Maradona-26 million

Now if anyone has bid more than 40 million for Pele then you do not get him and get maradona instead if it is the highest bid for him .If it is not then you get Cruyff for 23 million.

10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I allow players to bid for as many players as they want out of those put up for auction in each round with a deadline and then I sift through them all working out who made the highest bid and then the highest left etc.

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What happens if the same player is sent by a few participants. What player do you get if you're outbid by all of them?

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    OK, yeah it's your game and I think it should work OK the way you've described it (and I guess you'd rather have the extra involvement of nominating players yourself since you're not taking part). My ideas were just an alternative to consider really - I think in the early stages especially a lot of posters would be bidding for the same players either way. Am I right in saying we'd have a maximum bid amount in each round (the whole 300 million budget, or maybe less) and that you're saying if we bid all of that on one player we can't bid for other players too even though we only get one player? That's fair enough if so and would give us difficult decisions about how many players to bid for I guess.
    Hopefully these points make sense;). You can sign me up whatever the rules.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hope I'm not confusing the issue with my ideas, but based on the original rule ideas I guess we could solve the problem you highlight by each bidder sending a list of the players he doesn't bid for in priority order also, in order to decide who gets which player in the event of not successfully buying one? I guess the thing is to deal out one player to each bidder, but we need some way to decide about the unsucessful bidders. I guess there could be a set fee for such a situation? I think it would take too long if the unsuccesful bidders had to re-bid against each other for the remaining players each round.

14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The number of drafters will equal the number of players available ,so each round you get one player .

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry, I'm a bit slow tonight.

If the 3 players, lets say Tom, Dick and Harry nominate these players.

Tom - Pele
    Dick - Darren Fletcher
    Harry - Pele

Then we will be a player down come the bidding, no?

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think this is the tricky part. That's why I was suggesting listing all players not bid for in priority order also. Alternatively we could use the alternating alphabetical order idea for unsuccessful bidders (which could affect tactics of how many bids to make each round) or I think if you said that we have to bid for at least 5 players (totalling no more than 300 million for the bids) each round from the list, it's highly likely everyone would get a player.
    Maybe I don't fully understand the point quoted above though and it'd work fine as you envision it (don't know if you want to further explain and see if me and Karloski understand better then?). I just feel if several people bid for only one or two players it might not work.

17. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seems you guys are not getting it fully so here is a more elaborate example-

Suppose there are 4 participants-

schwuppe
    PDG1978
    Karloski
    Rambo

Now for round 1 of the draft i receive nominations from these 4 of one player each which are as follows via E-mail @ bsauctiondraft@gmail.com-

schwuppe - Pele
    PDG1978 - Maradona
    Karloski - Maradona
    Rambo - Anton Ferdinand

Now since Maradona is nominated twice i nominate cruyff instead.

And list the available players for round 1 as

Pele
    Diego Maradona
    Johann Cruyff
    Anton Ferdinand

Now the bids i get from schwuppe are

Pele- 55 million
    Maradona -34 million
    Cruyff - 63 million
    Anton Ferdinand - 2 million

the bids from PDG1978 are-

Pele- 57 million
    Maradona -38million
    Cruyff - 22 million
    Anton Ferdinand - 3 million

the bids from Karloski are-

Pele- 23 million
    Maradona -31million
    Cruyff - 20 million
    Anton Ferdinand - no bid

the bids received from Rambo are-

Pele- 52 million
    Maradona -32million
    Cruyff - 21 million
    Anton Ferdinand - 4 million

In this case schwuppe gets Cruyff for 63 million and has 300 - 63= 237 million left to pick remaining 12 players out of which he has to select 10 eventually.

Then PDG1978 gets Pele for 57 million and has 300-57 =243 million left for the remaining 12 rounds.

Rambo then gets Maradona for 32 million and has 268 million left.

But since Karloski does not have a valid winning bid ,he gets Anton Ferdinand for the 3rd highest bid i.e 32 million.

Bear in mind though i do not disclose the winning amount for each player at any time or that how much each player has left.

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've got that one sussed - Cevno is going to make up the numbers with his own nominations each round too (like lanman did in the last round of the Sheep Draft).

19. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I think I understand the draft part and would suggest from past experience with other drafts and auctions that you consider allowing more than one nomination per person. Just a question of how long you want it to draw out.

But, more importantly, what's the point? What happens with a team once they're put together? So, you have Pele on your team. Then what?

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The only problem I see is if we bid like follows:
    PDG1978 - Pele 100m
    Karloski - Pele 120m
    Rambo - Pele 10m
    Schwuppe - Pele 50m
    (So everyone only bids for Pele). I know it's an extreme example but what would happen? I get what you were saying about the next highest bid thing more now (which is a good idea and would affect tactics and probably mean at least two bids from each bidder) but it's just a scenario like above that I'm concerned about, especially deciding which unsuccesful bidders get which players.
    Overall I'm liking you're idea more now though, and probably more so than if my initial ideas were used.

21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay that makes perfect sense....

except....:D...

.."But since Karloski does not have a valid winning bid ,he gets Anton Ferdinand for the 3rd highest bid i.e 32 million"

^Does that mean some people could try and be crafty (nasty) by throwing in a Titus Bramble in the hope of messing someones draft up......believe me these drafts can get nasty.;)

22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good point? What is the point? I'm going to listen to some Morrissey.....life sucks.:(

23. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly there is not much reason for any player to bid for one player only.

But if that scenario happens, each of the remaining player is worth 100 million and are put into a random generator by me to decide who gets whom.

24. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But then there is a chance that the player who nominates Bramble gets him too.

And that is also why there is going to be a squad of 13 which is going to be streamlined into a final starting 11.

That is also one aspect which makes it more interesting.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    OK, a random generator is fair enough. The 100m fee should make most bidders bid for multiple players too ;). And should ensure we don't just submit bids for Pele, Maradona and Cruyff but also fall-back bids I think. That's all my questions covered, apart from does the 100m reduce as the rounds go on (and people spend their budgets)?