Official 2005 J.League Thread [R] - part I

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Marchetti, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Re: 2005 J-League Thread [R]

WOW, you are extremely anxious :D

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

How about we make this the offseason thread?

Anyway, Vissel Kobe unveiled their new "crimson" uniform earlier this month: http://www.vissel-kobe.co.jp/041222news/uni.html

[​IMG]

The shirt makes the players look skinny (or maby the players who are modeling them are skinny) and I liked the old black & white stripes, but it's not bad. I like the crest a lot too.

4. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004

I'm interested in the new teams entering the J-League: Tokushima Vortis and Thespa Kusatsu. Clearly Tokushima have changed their name from Otsuka Pharmaceuticals, my understanding being that under J-League rules it is not permissible for a sponsor to be referred to directly in the name of a club - and indeed that clubs have to be financially independent from "parent" companies. This being the case, are Thespa going to have to change their name as well?

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's okay, basic, not too much noise on the crest. I think there should only be one V however, then the -issel.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, "Thespa" only refers to the soccer team, and not for the parent company, Kusatsu Onsen.

7. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004

i liked vissel's black/white uniforms better. they felt, really japanese. they were unimistakably j-league. the crimson kinda feels like roma. at least, that was my first thought. whatever, vissel suffers from an identity crisis anyways. they're under new ownership right (some financial company whose color is crimson)?
    either way, i'm more partial towards yokohama f.marinos anyways. does anyone know of where i could find news on them in english? being born in the us, i can't read most of the kanji so most japanese language websites take waaaay too long to read.

8. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.wldcup.com/Asia/news/index.html
    This is the top site IMHO for us not fluent in Japanese(yet;) ).They also have quick responses to their message board when a new topic is posted. I hope that more web site open up such as this. Although the webmaster there doesn't post everyday headlines, the bigger headline always get some lengthy play. There's another site I think is jssoccer.com (or js-soccer.com?) and they mainly focus on the Kansai area teams.

BTW is it me or do they really wear shorts that low? It's like the hip-hop version for soccer shorts or something.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

Yes. The owner, Hiroshi Mikitani heads Crimson Group, which owns Japan's biggest online commerce site, Rakuten. He has an obsession with crimson because he attended Harvard Business School.

There was a strong opposition from supporters on the new team color and I think too many J clubs are unresponsive to their supporters. But at the same time, the club was in a financial crisis and Mikitani basically saved the club from going under, so really, he can dress the team in floral prints if he wanted to.

10. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004

sweet thanks for the link

harvard eh? i should go to japan and buy my own football club and change their colors to blue and gold for my california golden bears....

11. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Kind of like Yokohama F Marinos...

Long live the FLUGELS!

12. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan

Vissel's color has been suddenly changed by the new owner, but I don't like to see that happening. The supporters do have a point. I too liked their zebra color. Heck, our league is full of red clubs and blue clubs already. We need more diversity in color! :)

Kusatsu Onsen is a spa resort in Gumma Pref. I wonder if a small town like Kusatsu (pop. 7,000?) can run a professional club. They don't have a stadium out there, and so they have to play in Maebashi, which is far from Kusatsu. Thespa is based in Kusatsu, Maebashi, and the rest of Gumma. How will Gumma FC Horikoshi join the J-League and where is its hometown going to be? Takasaki? :confused: Maebashi and Takasaki are so close, and I don't think Gumma can operate two professional clubs, at least for now.

13. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Mancityfan81

Mancityfan81 New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    New York

Have Shimizu made any signings yet, they really missed Alex last year.

15. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yokohama going global?

Yokohama's June overseas trip

Basically to sum up the "translation", Yokohama plans to play several matches in Europe and the U.S. in June, when the J-league has a break in action. The break in June, mainly also due because of the Confed Cup and World Cup Qual. final rounds gives the team time to truly express their aim to go global with success, which has been a theme for the year. The team is eyeing Spain and Italy (although they are in the offseason) but with the MLS playing competitively during the summer, the team is attracted to the U.S. trip. Boss man Okada hopes that by winning globally , especially the ACL, will help the team should they qualify for the Worldwide Club Championship.

17. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Cool news. I would love to see friendlies between J-League and MLS clubs. I can't see MLS sending teams to Asia anytime soon, so I hope this goes through.

If they come to Chicago, I'm definitely going.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

Ditto for NY/NJ.

Even if it is the evil, dirty Marinos.

19. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has anyone seen this DODO player that Oita just picked up? From my skimming through some sites, he seemed to have lit up the K-League in the past. Not sure if that'll help a side like Oita though.

On a simliar note, with the signing of more Brazilian players, when will the J-League (or WHY don't they) sign players not just from Brazil and Eastern Europe but more from Africa, Western Europe, or other South American nations?

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

First and foremost, if there's one country that's proven to be consistent at producing quality youth players, it's Brazil. As such, there's no real reason to stop looking to Brazil for talent. There's already a large Brazilian influence in the J-League, both on the field and off it, so there's some support structure for players who don't speak the local language.

I honestly can't say why they don't look as much to other CONMEBOL countries ... maybe there's just more chache to having Brazilians on your squad as opposed to Uruguyans, Peruvians or Chileans.

Patrick Mboma worked out very well for the J-League, but I'm not sure if clubs have the resources or want to take the chance at scouting Africa. It seems European clubs, especially Dutch and French ones, have extensive ties throughout the continent.

As far as western Europe, why would they leave somewhere where there's more than likely a plethora of clubs they could play for? Japan's a faraway island country with strange ways and raw fish - why go there when you've got an EU passport and can go almost anywhere in Europe to play?

21. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The RSN wrote a good article describing the j.League's "The Century Plan". If you are interested check it out. He is also making a list of clubs that is trying earn promotion to j.league (which he will add tons more).

http://www.wldcup.com/Asia/news/050111.html

22. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004

del piero? really? seems a bit strange. until it happens, i'll doubt that he even thought about it.

24. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004

yeah...seriously...too similar to manchester utd.
    i like the sapporo unis though...can't go wrong with pink