Freedom and FCGP folding

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Druid Squirrel, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
  2. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Champion of 2010 folds... I would say the league is not far behind. Very disappointing. :(

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Holy ******* ****! That's going to be one hell of a blow. What are they going to do?

SN: Just because they were the champs doesn't mean they were raking in bucks or had the best budget.
    I would like to have Marta on my team, but the thought of her salary scares me.

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the PR Consultant of WPS:

http://twitter.com/rdpenner

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players are reacting on twitter (Alex Singer and Karen Bardsley to name two), however, Rob Penner from the league tweeted:

"Contrary to reports, there are no announcements scheduled tomorrow (Monday) from any WPS franchises or from the league... "

But he doesn't say that the teams aren't folding, just that there are no announcements scheduled. I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly what is happening.

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    It's going to be interesting to see how all of this plays out. I wouldn't think someone would throw something like that out there without being pretty damn certain of it happening. And then Penner only says there is no announcement scheduled for tomorrow.

Curiouser and curiouser.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me by three minutes...I hope this is good news or at least some reprieve.

8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I mean he is a PR guy. You can't trust any of their minions with a grain of salt. *grabs a reclining chair and some hot wings*

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    From Solo's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/hopesolo

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my dealings with Rob, he has been a pretty straight shooter, but yes, he does have to keep the league's best interests at heart. And in the tweet, he didn't deny there was a problem.

The timing of this really sucks (well okay, there's never a good time for this type of thing), considering several of the players are playing Concacaf qualifiers and have enough on their mind without a further distraction. Of course, that could be another reason why an announcement won't be tomorrow.

So the Board of Governors got together a few months ago and now the teams are going to be "managing" the league and two of them fold before the next season even starts? Wasn't it just 10 days ago that Washington was announcing that they exercised the 2011 option on Abby Wambach and were excited that she would be back for the 2011 season.

Edit:

A further tweet from Rob:

"WPS BoG and WPS CEO/CFO working overtime throughout the weekend on securing commitments for 2011... "

11. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    EXACTLY. I can't imagine she'd sign if she or they knew what was coming up, but I could totally see her doing that knowing, for the team and for the fans.

12. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Anyone care to interpret Beau Dure's recent tweet? In fact, I'm pretty sure he reads this forum, so perhaps he can interpret for us:
    I guess if "Freedom folding" and "Freedom not part of WPS" are two different things, there are 4 possibilities:

1. Freedom do not fold and are in WPS. Status quo.

2. Freedom fold and are not in WPS. Complete cessation of existence.

3. Freedom do not fold and are not in WPS. Similar to post-WUSA situation, dropping to a lower league.

4. Freedom fold are are part of WPS. Tough to know how this would even be logically possible. Only vaguely possible interpretation of this quadrant would be if the current Freedom investment/ownership is terminated but the league runs the team.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, from Kassouf on twitter:

"Announcements may push back from Monday, but both teams missed October payments. Miracles ($) needed."

Payments to whom? The players? The league?:confused:

14. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Wow. This is pretty stunning news; I can't imagine the league surviving this blow if it turns out to be true. Obviously some more details would be nice but I doubt those will be immediately available.

15. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, she managed to get two out before someone slapped a muzzle on her.

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Surprised Solo is still allowed to tweet after all the mess last season.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's a free agent. Who would enforce a gag order?

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    http://twitter.com/hopesolo

Haha, we get to hear from Hope talking about working out in her new bra, LOL.
    Her red lace panties were not new though, but an old pair that were already slightly ripped apart. Her white socks were dirty and smelled. She did not wear a headband when working out. This is all breaking news. Thanks Hope.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I hate to say it, but I think ALL players in the WPS will be free agents next season. This is not looking good.

20. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw this with the WUSA before they folded teams were scrambling to to get as many season ticket holders on board and new investors... hard to sell a vision if if it falling short.

2 regular season champs folding... I would not want BOXX on any surviving team she seems to be the kiss of Death, surprised we did not hear about a trade to Washington for her...

I did not get season tix this year because we may be moving to a non WPS town, but planned to travel several times the 3-6 hours to games next season

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that when STL folded. I needed a gallows humor moment so thanks.

22. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got my season tickets reserved last week. I don't ordinarily buy season tickets to anything (even the Phillies, I just get single tickets) and don't even know where their venue will be located, but decided it was a good thing to reward them for their efforts. Hopefully it won't be for only 6 teams because that kind of takes it all down another notch, and hopefully the finances are arighted soon for the sake of players and coaches (and fans). I shall remain foolishly optimistic because the alternative is sadder.

Are the Philadelphia Liberty still around? After the Pirates moved out of Swarthmore then changed names a few seasons later I lost all ties.

23. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After already dropping $1.5g on season tix for Atlanta (and having been billed for them already), i am not happy about this potential issue. 6 teams is not a league.

24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wouldn't want Marta either, those two are more deadly for a team than a Segar karate chop.

She does till have the liberty of freedom of speech.

I'm still bitter as hell about our last match, but I do feel sorry for the Freedom fans, such a dedicated bunch.

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Right.

Right again, and this is the key idea. The "Washington Freedom" comprises more than a WPS team. It has youth clubs running up through Super-Y and (as of last year, though I've heard this may change) W-League.

So could they keep the club intact without staying in WPS? Seems logical. Why wind up a perfectly good youth operation with a decade of strong ties to the soccer community just because you aren't able to commit to paying national team players' salaries or your WPS escrow fund?

(For those asking about "October payments" -- the escrow fund is basically what Jeff means. The league decided, post-St. Louis, to have everyone put up funds for a whole season up front. Commit now or don't, but don't fold midseason because your funding disappeared.)

Won't happen.

Blog post forthcoming at sportsmyriad.com