US-Poland, the coaching (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Oct 9, 2010.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I'm very, very much against playing guys in roles very different from their club roles, so I hate hate hate the decision to start Edu in central defense. Look, even if he had been great, he doesn't play there for his club. He's not going to play their instinctively. As it was, he was poor, and the backline was really uncoordinated.
    2. I hate to mention it, I really do. My track record on the Bob and mini-Bob issue is pretty good. But not trying out someone else in central mid the last 20 minutes is impossible to defend.
    3. I give Bob credit for how Dempsey played. He had maximum freedom to roam the park, and he had maximum impact. Good adjustment to the absence of Landon.

2. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get it. We want Brazil's set-up where you plug in a #4 for a like-minded #4. That is not our reality. Imagine that you are the coach of this team and you watch these guys in training for a week. And game time comes and you have a player like Edu sitting on the bench to play someone like Goodson or Parkhurst. In a friendly. How boring is that?

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Edu showed promise, in spite of the handwringing here.

The key mistakes were from Onyewu and Bocanegra, but then again, that's nothing new, is it? Yet people whine about Edu because he didn't look like a natural.

Bradley put Edu in defense because he is a smart, talented soccer player who allows the US to play more composed soccer from the back line. He'll make mistakes along the way, but I'll gladly take a step back to move the overall team forward.

The next steps are phasing out Gooch and Boca. And then figuring out how Michael fits in a system where the US is trying to actually hold the ball. I'd also like to see Holden play centrally.

Dolo was OK. Not great, not awful.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Edu had to play centerback at the World Cup due to tactical changes. He may have to do it again.

I have a feeling that the occasional runout for Mo at CB in friendlies is for that very reason, and nothing more.

5. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    It's so impossible to defend that you couldn't even name the "someone" you wanted tried out on a roster of 18?

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The Edu trial has to be made because of the depth concerns at the position.

Mo's worst mistake was allowing Lewandowski's inside run but Howard saved his bacon on that one.

Bob screwed the pooch by not covering for Boca until late and leaving him wide at the same time.

Losing the possession game to a very mediocre Polish side (there are no Bonieks and Latos there anymore) with a cluttered central midfield was rather poor as well.

If one had to learn lessons from the game, it'd be ... nothing that we hadn't known before.

7. warmblooded

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Gooch's goal, Bob had Dempsey drop back to Left-Mid, with Holden sliding inside, switching to a 4-5-1. Seriously, what magical line-up are people clamoring for with this roster?

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, Bob could have called up players in positions other than in central midfield.

Who's exactly in charge of the call-ups?

9. warmblooded

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name one player.

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Ah, the bane of many an irrational argument.

Bury it in "tomb of the unknown player" I say.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan.

And before you mention it, I don't give a #$@% about the Galaxy on FIFA dates.

Not sure I get the point of only using one sub.

12. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Landon Donovan cares more about the Galaxy in the midst of a playoff run than a friendly.

Of course, you may next chime in with a "it doesn't matter what he thinks, it's a FIFA date."

I do agree that using only one sub, in a match where experimentation is encouraged, is odd.

13. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    So you couldn't think of anyone then.

It was a bit odd that he only used one sub. He probably wanted to keep the backline intact for 90 I guess...and most of the subs were defenders.

Perhaps Eddie Johnson just did not impress in training.

14. warmblooded

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's that? Is he good? Should we cap him?

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I can name several.

First of all, given that he planned to play Dolo and Boca out wide, the common sense is to bring a left sided winger to provide both the width on the attack on the left and the defensive cover for Bocanegra, who slides inward as a rule.

From what I understand, there's this DaMarcus guy ... he even has 93 caps to his name.

And he was available!

The second option would have been Robbie Rogers, who played pretty well in the Send-Off series and is easily replaceable for Columbus.

Third option is Hercules Gomez, with Dempsey assuming his regular left midfield position.

Fourth is Brek Shea, who was called up for Tuesday's match but only got in half hour today for Dallas.

Fifth is Bobby Convey, who's playing out the string with San Jose.

Is that enough?

Because there are also Paco Torres and Marco Vidal.

And Donovan.

Or whoever.

16. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    With Ream, Gonzalez and Opara waiting in the wings there really is no point in developing Edu at CB

17. warmblooded

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? WTF? Really?

Beasley? 2004 was awesome. Rodgers, who can't beat out Gaven for the Crew? Gomez, Convey, Vidal and Torres? Really? Alright, we definitely see the game differently.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, the USMNT does drop several notches without Landon, as anyone and their cat knows. I predicted a tie and a defeat, regardless of who is playing, because in my mind the USMNT without LD is a B team. Guy is huge.

I think Bradley wants to test the new players. This game was to see what Jones could do, that was 80% of it. And to see if Bedoya deserved more chances. That was another 10%. And the last 10%, to see if Edu could be a decent CB.

Next game, I guess he's going to test Lichaj and Shea. And maybe give Parkhurst a second look.

Bob is rigid in his ideas. He's following a plan, and this time he tested the midfield with Jones and playing a 4-5-1. Next game I have a feeling he's going to focus on the defense (perhaps Shea won't even play at all).

19. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless, you know, he gets some games at CB, learns to play the position, and turns out to be better than any of those guys.

20. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    4 more years of BB's tactics! I still can't get over using one sub.What the heck was that about?

21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Right and he left Parkhurst to rot on the bench. Edu will never be a better defender than Parky but he is a bb fav so he'll keep trying to fit that round peg in a square hold. God knows Edu will never get to challenge Mikey for his spot

Boca is done. Was beat like a rented mule all night. What has Gooch done to get the start? not make the bench in Italy?

Now we have the prospect of seeing Pierce? OMG Bradley is such a mistake

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya and it's quite possible none of them will be as awesome as Marvell Wynne, Danny Szetela, Chad Barrett, Jonathan Spector and Sammy Ochoa were in WC'10.

Which means you don't see it at all.

Bob put out a contrived formation with players out of position and, as the result, delivered a middling performance against a middling side.

Even if Beasley - who, by the way, is signed with a much better club than Feilhaber and Bedoya ... and Jones and Bradley, based on their current records - provides the glue that keeps his teammates in their more natural position and gives the entire team its proper shape, then he is worth bringing in.

Otherwise, you've got a weird system with a bunch of players in unfamiliar - or ill suitable for them - roles.

Which is to be expected with Bradley.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A conspiracy theory is forming in these forums: that Bob is moving Edu to CB and forgetting about Torres to protect his son's spot.

I refuse to believe that is true. At least for now.

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a conspiracy theory... try again.

25. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Bradley loves trying to fit Square Pegs in round Holes.

"He has qualities that will give him chances to be a very good central defender"-

Except this what you say to a player who is 18 years old and is a Center back by trade, not a 24-year old Midfielder who had a hell of a game against Manchester United and is continuing to trend up.