Our Goose is Cooked?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by McOwen, Dec 10, 2004.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Word has it our beloved Jeff Agoos has been traded to the MetroStars for a fourth-round pick.

I loved you to death Goose but I'm afraid you are now dead to us :(
    [​IMG]
    R.I.P. Jeff Agoos 1968-2004

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he want to go there? Or was he just traded there?

Jaime was a MetroStar too, however briefly.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes:

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I confess I'm a little oblivious to how he's played the last two years. In 2003 I saw SJ in the playoffs and that's pretty much it, and this year only when they played DC. No doubt he's in the twilight of his MLS career; but a fourth-round pick isn't that much to give up. Given the rumor above, and given our current issues in the defense, would it have been a good move for us? Or is he just too far gone? (I guess for us it'd have to have been a third-round rather than fourth, since our picks in each round aren't as good as the Scum)

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( It was nice to have known you, 'Goos.

Who do we have that can fly down the right side ......

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well with Goose's speed anyone would look flying (even Quintanilla), but Gros is going to run him into the ground.

8. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :D

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at this guy - do you think he's gonna let ANYONE run him into the ground? He may be slow, but he's one tough old SOB.

[​IMG]

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    MLSnet did a retrospective of Pope and Agoos' career and a look ahead at the two friends working together. They had an opportunity for a brief interview and a photoshoot.
    [​IMG]

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Goose has been playing in the center for a few years. Surprisingly good move for the Metros, actually. This would pair him with Pope and put the highly overrated Parke on the bench, as well as having a good organizer back there. What's worse is that they both know all of Moreno's moves.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Knowing them and doing something about them are two different things.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the years, the Metros have made several moves that have looked good up until the ref blows the whistle to start the first game. And I was always convinced that the Metros only used Parke so they could save a few bucks by slightly modifying any leftover Petke gear.

Which is why we also have Eski, Gomez, and Freddy.

14. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    The big question is whether Agoos can stay healthy. His back has been acting up over the last couple of seasons, and I believe his calf was also causing him problems. There's no doubt he's still a very good organizer, but there's also no doubt that he's lost a step (or two). The Metros are certainly taking a risk -- does this end like their trade for Balboa did, or is it a Moreno-like revitalization? Being the cop out artist that I am, I say neither of those extremes, but I lean more toward Balboa than Moreno, given Agoos' recent injury history and the Metros' entire history of being MLS' black hole.

(If we bring in Taylor will Agoos pass it to him in front of the goal at RFK?)

15. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just might be what the Scum need. But who knows, I'm sure the two old men formerly of DCU will be able to help them out a bit. But I agree, I don't think they are a match for Esky, Moreno, Freddy, Gros. 05 is gonna be a great season!

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no wonder, that boy's calfs are each bigger than my head. Harksie used to say they weren't calfs (calves?) at all, he had sanbags tied aorund his legs.

17. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Here's hoping he's out all season with injuries, costing the Metros money.
    Use it as a holiday to get healthy before retirement Goose. We're not afraid of Goose or Pope.

18. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    The Cream and The Clear will do that for you - just ask Barry.

** This was a joke - I am not trying to imply Goose is taking 'roids

19. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scum need a hard-bodied leader in central defense. Goose provides that potential. The risk for the mutts is that his playing time will be limited by his chronic calf injury and, recently, an ailing back. It is virtually certain that Goose (and Pope for that matter) will miss several games due to injury, IMO, in 2005.

In 2000, DCU had no effective leadership as the players woefully underachieved and had several instances of bad luck (career shots by anonymous players, own-goals, etc.). Goose's 2001 transfer to SJ seemed to revive his competitive spirit as he lead them to two MLS Cups (having the boy-wonder sure didn't hurt!). I wonder whether Goose leading from the bench will help the scum -- I kinda doubt it.

If Goose takes 200+ k away from the mutt cap, that's a net plus for DC.

And speaking of nets, how about a couple of own-goals while you're playing DC, Goose? :D

GM

20. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Dude... I don't mean to nitpick, but... dude!

--kravi

21. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops, first draft was something like the team and then I changed team to DCU but forgot to delete the article. Edited now -- thanks! ;)

GM

22. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    I love Goose - he was probably my favorite player on the glory days United teams - but he's old, costs a lot under the cap, is even slower than he was before, and is injury-prone. He has two major things to offer now - veteran leadership in the back, which the Metros can definitely use, and set pieces, which with Guevara they don't need much help with.

So the Metros give up a 4th rounder and a whole lot of cap space to add some experience and leadership. The cap space alone means that they overpaid. This move reminds me of United from 2000-2002, when our FO brought back every washed-up forward from the glory days that was still playing (RDA, Lassiter) in a desperate attempt to recapture the old-time magic.

What's funny is the Metrostars had no old-time magic, so they're trying to recapture some of ours :)

23. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Having Eddie Pope playing in that Swamp is hard enough on me, but Goose too? I wonder if he will look as sad as Eddie does when he says he plays for the Metrostars?

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Is there anybody who doesn't?