McBride deserves better from us..

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by pettyfog, Sep 4, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ... and I suspect he'll get it - in 2011.

First, there's no better sign of a dedicated soccer fan than every perceived slight of his team, no matter the reason or circumstance, results in a lasting grudge.

In that spirit. I take this RARE occasion to strongly disagree with Bill Archer.

I didn't become a Crew follower because of Brian, I knew diddly about him.. but it was obvious after watching a season's worth of games in 96 that his talent was separate and apart from the other players.
    and it was because of him that I became interested in player/team/fan dynamics.

I signed up on the MB's of all the teams he played for, first off: Preston where I was delighted to find the fans accepted him quickly with the caveat they wanted to see what he could do for them. I told them best as I could that he would give it his all on the field and they wouldn't be disappointed.

It only took those few games for the PNE fans to be convinced.

Later, on Bluekipper, it was a different story, though only the Moyes skeptics panned him from the outset. We all know it only took a few games there for most to be turned around.

At Fulham there was a tougher attitude to overcome. IIRC Fulham had an American GM at the time they snatched him at the last minute. I told them how he played and that they would never accuse him of not giving it everything. It took several seasons for McBride to "learn how the game was properly played", of course. Meaning - for the Fulham managers to learn how to best use him. I laughed quietly at the thought McBride had to do more than make slight adjustments to be effective, when the truth was that it was Cookie Coleman with the lack of vision.

It's important, though to use the same perspective as a follower that you would want as a player. When McBride declared it quits at Fulham I was no more surprised than when he retired from the US team. For everything there is a season and he saw the turning points as they came. No ego-driven clinging on for Brian McBride. I told FFC fans he would either play for Chicago or he wouldn't play at all. Again I was correct, not because I knew him intimately or was inside his head, but because I recognized his character from 50,000 feet.

Playing the game wasnt the most important thing to Brian, especially after he started his adult life by having a family. Living around his home and preparing for a civilian career was most important. Playing soccer when he came back was second. Except on the field. We can be grateful that the Fire coaches didnt know any better how to really use him than many of his previous bosses. But we can't really complain as very few of us thought the Crew did at the time of the Great Malaise, either.

Several things about McBride tell who he is. When a fan of his current team encountered him on the streets or in a public place they often came on the MB and gushed how approachable and considerate he was. Happened here, happened in Liverpool, happened in London.
    You never read gossip about how Brian dissed another player or his Manager.

Or much about his bloody physical encounters. Including that with de Rossi. He accepted all that as part of the game.

So while McBride might feel a little annoyance at some Crew fans calling him 'McJudas', he wont lose any sleep over it. And I'm thinking that after a moratorium, of short length, all Crew fans will again recognize him as the jewel we once had.

For those who suggest that McBride is not done with soccer, I am going to make my next prediction: Don't bet on it. At least dont bet on seeing him on the pitch supervising a professional team.

There's more to life than footy and that's a big reason he wanted to live in his hometown. If there's a connection with the sport, I think it will be through other avenues.

I WOULD like to see Brian given a THIRD key to the city of Columbus at some time in the future but as we know, memories die quick and if Lamar Hunt was never given the key once for all he did for us, aint gonna happen to a less influential guy.
    But I'll bet that our team management will try to arrange something. in a year or two.

And we can forget all about the bitter taste of seeing him in Red.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to the NEXT Crew legend.

I nominate Steve Lenhart. He's much the same but different, of course. What counts is the fire in the belly for the game. And he keeps getting better.
    Stevie, see if Brian can give you some tips.. next year, of course.

2. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're joking right? Lenhart might be here for a long time but his skills are no where close to getting him legend status. Also there is a man named GBS you hear of him?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dear March 2009:

This is about McBride. Did you read where I wrote I saw something in him in 1996?

Besides, You are an idiot... much the same as the Fulham skeptics about McBride. And GBS came IN here a legend

4. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear January 2000 :rolleyes:
    Take it easy tough guy its only the internet.

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pettyfog, that's the BigSoccer post of the month, and it's only the 4th. Everyone else is playing for second.

Brian McBride is a true legend of American soccer. He was the first guy that really put the Columbus Crew on the map. He battled his ass off everytime he was on the field. And he was a gracious, class act while doing so.

Simultaneously, he made us proud and represented us well while wearing the U.S. Soccer crest. He was the only guy to score in 1998, and he scored match-winners against Portugal AND Mexico in 2002. And he was a gracious, class act while doing it. Probably the classiest guy who ever wore the red, white and blue.

Then, he graduates to what all American soccer players of that generation dreamed of: Playing full-time in Europe. And not just Europe, the freaking EPL. And played well. And became beloved. And was a gracious, class act while doing so.

If anyone ever earned the right to choose what team he finished his career with, it's Brian McBride. So he chose to finish in his hometown, and not have his family follow him around or miss him from afar anymore. And what does he get for that? A bunch of internet nincompoops ask him where his nuts are because he put on a shirt that they personally didn't care for. Oooh, f*** -- call 911.

I mean, I know a certain percentage of this (I don't have it narrowed down to a number yet) is just stupid fan bullcrap, and will dissolve the second Chicago's season ends. But frankly, some of the stuff I've read since he made the move to the Fire is just plain out of line, and he deserves better. I'm certainly not the guy to tell people they do or don't have a RIGHT to say this stuff, but some of the stuff directed towards McB from Crew fans are things I would never say, even in jest. I just have too much respect for the guy.

(And again, I do say this knowing that just because my personal barometer lands in one spot doesn't mean everyone else's does. Full disclosure: I was a guy who said "it's OK" when Galaxy fans were chanting "U.S. Reject!!" at Brian Ching, also. I'm sure some people will ask me what the difference is between that and the McBride stuff. Maybe because that was during a match. Maybe no difference at all. I dunno. Maybe I'm full of crap. (Free shot, everyone!!! :D) )

But for me, the bottom line is this: Brian McBride did far too much for the Columbus Crew, MLS, and the U.S. National team to be disrespected by us simply because he went home. It's not like he's from Seattle and decided to come back to play for D.C. United.

As far as I'm concerned, any other American-born soccer player that wears the number 20 is a poser.

6. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    And here we have the post of the month runner up! Everyone else is now playing for 3rd!

Seriously, though, McBride is a legend. I have nothing but respect for the man. Granted, he is playing for a rival, so he will get a little bit of shit from everyone, which I am sure he expected, but as soon as the season is over, that will all fade. To Brian McBride!

7. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** McBride. He was injured and underperformed several years for our club. After his first season his presence on the field induced some of the most unimaginative offensive soccer our club has seen. He then chose our best season ever to come back in a red uniform and politely asked us to go away so he could win a ring with one of our most hated rivals.

He's a traitor who means nothing to our club and deserves less from the fans.

As for you petty, just stop posting. Better yet, try this thread out in the Fire forum and take KCBus with you.

Love,

Mateo

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is about to be a good'un!

9. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Can I get me some 3D glasses and some of that pop corn? I'm going to sit back and watch this one from the sideline.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P***y. :D

11. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't like him when he played for us and I sure as hell don't like him now.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

If McBride thinks he deserves better, he should go to Canada.

13. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    who has the odds on McBride retiring injured?

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me. Chicago still has to play us at least once more, and we have dirty players on our team. :rolleyes:

15. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have one question would you feel the same way about him If we lost the Eastern Conference final?
    I do feel sad to see him go but I will feel alot worse when Dunc or GBS retire.

What does he deserve from us?

McBride---- 2002 Open Cup

Guillermo Barros Schelotto ----- 2008 MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and League MVP. 2009 Supporters Shield.

Duncan Oughton----- 2002 Open Cup, 2004, 2008 and 2009 Supporters Shield, MLS Cup 2008

the cup filled with tears of tfc does not count.

I don't understand why people think it was ok for him to go to Chicago for his family? GBS is from Argentina year younger young family, I would say they have it more difficult living in a country where you or your family don't speak the language or know the culture. I don't hear any story's about how he wants to go back home for his Family because his wife and kids are sick of Columbus.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEio9RQzWVw"][/ame]

16. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    The way I see it: He came back at the twilight of his career. He knew he would be retiring within a couple seasons. I feel that with his career, he earned a chance to play at home. I can't fault him for that. Would I have been happier had he come back to Columbus? Of course, but I also respect his decision, on the sole basis that he earned it.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is a reason to applaud GBS. Not a reason to shred McBride.

It just annoys me that we've grown so accustomed to pro athletes doing everything for their checkbooks, their egos, and their celebrity status that when a truly classy athlete decides to sacrifice some of that for the sake of his family, we look at him like a circus freak.

18. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In seriousness, I see both sides of the 'debate' with objective eyes, unlike some. I spit on all things Chicagooon Fire, but that is the man's hometown. Being in the military, I can attest to those that want to retire back home after years of working here, there, and everywhere. Remember, there actually IS a world outside the little boxes that some seem to never leave, and that is a hard concept for some to grasp.

There can be an underlying rule of sorts in sports of players that play for the enemy after years of playing for the home team. Case in point, Figo leaving Barcelona for Real Madrid. Now in that case, he went directly to the enemy. Go to Barcelona and ask a local what they think about Figo and tell me your answer. In the case of McBride, he didn't go directly to Chicagoon after he left us, so technically that could be considered good terms. Would we have wanted him to retire to the club that he made his name at? Heck yeah. But let's keep it real, when he came back to Chicagoon, his ass wasn't really the Cadillac pimp mobile that he was pre-England years. He came back useless for what Columbus was planning for and that fossilizing process showed while he was in Chicagoon. He owns that.

19. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    This is what I want from Brian: score an own goal against Chicago, take off that POS red jersey to reveal a '96 Crew kit, then cuss out the ref leaving Chicago down to 10 men. In his post game interview he'll reveal that he was a double-agent for the Crew all along. The Crew will win the shield by two points.

Anything less - traitor.

20. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might be onto something.
    [​IMG]

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He will be McJudas until he removes that ugly red excuse for a kit for the last time. In 2011, he will once again become a Crew legend, and we will forget the dark days he spent with the thugs from Chi-town.

22. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we had lost to Sh!tcago in the '08 ECF, I would never be able to forgive his traitorous actions. Since he never really harmed us, we will let bygones be bygones once he wises up and leaves that crap squad.

23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

HAHAHAHA!! Yes!!

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You should have stopped right there.

What team name is on Brian's shirt? It's wannabehooligan********************s in case you forgot. Brian deserves everything he gets from fans of a rival because they are fans of a rival. I didn't think this needed typing out.

This whole gosh golly gee aw schucks he's a great guy crap is how folks like Bob Bradley stay employed. Brian chose to be the enemy and I will treat him as such.

When you look at McBride's career what kind of stats would he have put up if he got the same coddling from the league as some pudgy Bolivian ********** did in the early years? (What the hell is a United anyways?) All those knocks he took because his jersey said Crew and not something more fashionable in league eyes took it's toll. If anyone owes him an apology it's not the fans.

Don't get me wrong I think the guy is the best field player the US has ever produced. But the day I thought the league could make it is not the day I cheered for Columbus. It's the day I started hating other teams and McBride plays for one of them.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Next time you're in Vegas let me treat you to a herpes laden hooker. This post deserves it.