Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Very lucky but nice to see. Braunschweig got overconfident and the boys took advantage.

2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win. Must have been some outstanding coaching. :p

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We usually play crap all season but then suddenly win 2-1 at the league leading team.

See Hertha. See Frankfurt.

Doesnt matter if the coach is apprentice.

4. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Exactly. We should have about 9 more points than we do.

Schmidt Raus! Lieber SGE! ;)

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry for ot. But Id prefer someone like Rangnick.

As pick-up artist I dont want SGE as competitor in Munich.

Gorky repped this.
  6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wood subbed in 53rd minute with a good game on the left wing.

As I said Wood is in my view "in far better hands" on the wing.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be a wet blanket, but can we keep the play by play in the game day thread and keep this one clear of the clutter? The last three weeks have made this thread unreadable at times.

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    [R] = Talk about the game.:cool: We try to limit the talk to Bobby in the game rather than general game day crap.

9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not much noteworthy with Bobby around happened. That's why the clutter.

10. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No [R] talk about the game afterwards. The gameday thread is for during the game, otherwise you get two pages of back and forth.

I am not trying to be a dick about this, I waited several weeks to see if it would get better after the initial excitement of Wood playing subsided, but it has gotten worse. It keeps the thread readable.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Wrong. [R] means that we can talk about the game WHILE it is going on and is there to warn people that, should they enter, they may read the result and may spoil it for them if they are dvr'ing the game.

Like I said, for the most part we only talk about Bobby-related game stuff. Until today there has always been a decent about of Bobby-related match stuff. Today not so much.

13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Damn it is just so good to see him in the pro side and doing well. Thinking back to this time last year it appeared he was done for. I hope he continues to flourish!!!

14. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

wow those are some sweet uniforms

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    That's more your anti-coach bias speaking. Eintracht has been shaky the last few games and displayed the exact same problems before, 1860 were just the first team that could fully exploit those.

That would have been one of the classic mistakes teams make when playing Eintracht, of course. Kumbela will run into defenders again and again and again, trying to draw them onto himself. Trying to get defenders to focus on Kumbela has been a standard tactic at Eintracht for years.

16. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I can see through my bias for Schmidt. But his failures greatly outweigh his successes.

As far a Kumbela, he should have been marked...wasn't. That's both player and coaching failure.

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dunno if the right thread but Lauth said in an interview right after the game "we conceded the goal exactly the way we said we want to prevent them: dont let them play the crosses, they scored 30 of their 40 goals down playing down the wings, and then we wanted to be awake in the middle. Up until the goal we did that well. But good then we came back.......".

Rather a failure by Stoppelkamp on the wing for miserably failing in dont letting the opponent cross and Bülow is 20 cm taller than Kumbela. Think that says it all. I dont see that so much wrong coaching there.

18. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Meh...again...it is not JUST coaching but also the players. BOTH should have seen this coming and marked Kumbela. If the players don't see it the coach must. Again, coaching 101 there.

Back to Bobby, Lauth also said that after Bobby came on it allowed him to play up more and not worry about coming back so often. The players kept their patience and played forward. They have nothing to lose at this point in the season, having dropped so many points, so that makes them dangerous. However, now with them sitting near the top again I hope they don't lose that careless abandon and start playing fearful like they have many of the last few games: more afraid of losing than winning.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More then telling them what to do? Like what? Run on the field dragging Bülow to Kumbela pointing at him this is the guy you gonna mark all the game?
    They knew Kumbela was dangerous, they kept him out of the game for one exception. Sometimes you cant keep players 90 minutes out of the game. That's it.
    As everybody's praising Bobby's performances all the time here, I think I need to disagree here. Bobby only had a little or none effect on yesterday's win. The game changing sub was Kamara for Bierofka. We had 5 strikers on the field, and that's what Schmidt does since his time at our 2nd team - he takes risks. The only effect in difference to before was that we werent that vulnerable over Bobby's wing (left 53-64 min.) and later other (right 64-90 min.) but that's because Tomasov had mostly left Fathi alone before. Yeah, Bobby did more for our defense. But that's it. Nothing productive up-front.

20. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Common mistake by armchair coaches is to assume just because a player does not touch the ball that much that he has little effect on a game. There was a coach quoted as saying once that Gerd Mueller was never more dangerous than in games where he only touched the ball once or twice.:cool:

Playing a tactical game can free up players to do other things. Concentrate on the wings and go up the middle. Not saying Bobby single-handedly did anything, but Lauth's comment was a clear hat tip to the guys behind him.

When you play chess the Queen often does little more than taken one's attention off the other pieces.

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didnt deny he had - due to his pure existence on the pitch - given the game a tip into another direction. All you said is true.

But in comparison player for player it was not Bobby who made the difference in the end. Others did. Although his opponents had 50 minutes more in their legs. He did not play bad, but he just played the typical "Mitläufer" part.

22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Kicker seems to disagree. :cool: But they rarely get things right.

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Quod erat demonstrandum.

Highlights of the game here. Not much to see of Bobby though.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  24. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Look who is on the March desktop wallpaper! Very 1998 but still cool.

[​IMG]

25. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
    This will go great with my Windows 95 desktop