Dynamo Player Transactions / Dynamo DP thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by el jefe2010, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you guys really think the names you've recently bantered are what liewenke had in mind when he told or FO to "go big"?
    I don't. I think it's obvious the onus is to get a major, global super star and nothing less.
    the suazo's, bofo's and forlans might be a good addition to the team, but i believe AEG has set the bar much, much higher

2. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't that he's not good enough, it's that if we're getting one name player to help create excitement and help the team I don't think it should be a fullback. (exceptions: Maicon and Sergio Ramos)

A lot of the players being mentioned are solid players I'd love to have in orange, but they're not the player I'd pay DP money to and make the face of the franchise.

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    winner, winner, chicken dinner!

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just my opinion, but after this WC even casual fans know the name Diego Forlan, and that he was massive and one of the best players there. I can't group together Bofo and Suazo with Forlan...Diego is way above them on a level of recognition and playing ability.

I do agree that they are imagining someone along the lines of Ronie though, who would be my first choice, with Forlan 2nd.

5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My #1 choice would be Forlan. He has name recognition, Hispanic/Latin appeal, plays the creative AMF/SS role we need and would light the MLS on fire. That being said, I don't think he would consider a MLS move for another 2-3 years.

Personally I would prefer the Dynamo go through a bit of a rebuild and go the following gameplan...

1. Trade/Cut high salary, dead weight and older players. Replace them with young and cheap.
    2. Sign 2 quality players that are in the cheap DP realm (or maybe 3 that are just below DP level). I would probably go with 1 MF/1 DF or 2 MF. Very high on my list would be Benny Feilhaber. He is on his way out at his club and is having a hard time finding other opportunities. We've seen from the USMNT that he is a talented MF. He would provide the needed AMF role with some flexibility to play out wide and would be guaranteed to start for us.
    3. For your "name recognition" look for a FW to pair with Ching.

Outside of #2 above I don't really have any names to add just my $0.02 on what I would like to see them do.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    ^ I would kill to have Benny, he is grossly underrated and way too good to be in the 2nd division in Denmark.

7. Cluttered

Cluttered Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked because I think it's possible to enjoy living in Houston, provided you live inside 610.

I was born and raised in Houston, living most of that time out in Sugar Land. Since turning 18 though I've lived in Ann Arbor, Austin and Boulder before coming back to Houston. My fathers family also lives in New York and so I've spent a lot of time in NYC as well as other places on the East Coast. I love being a Texan and I take pride in Houston...But but I hate how everything is so spread out, and with the lack of a transit system you have to drive everywhere, thus dealing with the traffic. People are friendly in Houston, but unless you live in certain pockets, there is a severe lack of interest in "culture"...Which is something I really miss from the other locations I've lived.

The above is not even touching on the weather....

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm repeating myself from the expansion draft thread but if you take a little risk and dangle most of the expensive and underperforming veterans in the draft then you can try to ditch some salary without too much guilt (the draft provides the selection a new home) or having to butter up a trade target. The expansion teams can take two veterans off our hands free and clear and we get anywhere from $200-500K cap space, depending on whom we expose/have drafted. Even if we don't DP it's massive cap space and all sorts of room to rebuild. And some of our rosterees would be addition by subtraction.

Feilhaber is not a bad idea. He, like Gringo Torres, could really use a stage to shine on. That is one thing MLS can offer to young players on the make, particularly Americans. Plenty of PT and the chance to really produce in the league right under the NT coach's nose. We just springboarded Holden and Clark, and even if Feilhaber wants to go big in Europe we might give him some momentum to accomplish it.

I think we need a #10, a wing, and a couple backs and I think they could be filled Holden-cheap or Beckham-expensive, and you wouldn't necessarily get better performance for higher pay. So I think the DP is just a tool to consider rather than a requirement. The elevation in quality I saw in NY makes it tough to sit on your hands or trot out the same old people, but I don't think you need to spend like the coastal teams to beat them. But you'd have to scout and sign very intelligently.

I kind of agree that we need a forward revamp -- too little production for too much emphasis -- but the dicey popularity question is whether to build around a striker the wrong side of 30. One could argue that the hat trick was an argument on one side of that debate, but you can starting going downhill fast at his age. I say this because I struggle with who should be off limits, if anyone, up top. Ain't like we have Buddle or Angel.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Not bad and you still have money for another $2-3 million dollar player. Chaco & Benny?

How about Charlie Davies? Thoughts?

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is off the DP track, but if you could attract or at least convince an out of favor guy similar to Convey to come back to the US (like Feilheiber), that would be a very shrewd way to go.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Unfortunately I think Charlie is still a long time work in progress. He is still only on the reserves for Sochaux and if I'm not mistaken, is not getting on the scoresheet. Having Chaco and Benny would be stellar for our on field play and I think we'd quickly become one of the better teams in the league (again, finally). I'm not sure how the marketing part of it would work out for naming rights and whatnot, probably not that well, but at least we'd have 2 very good players on our squad. If Charlie were healthy and had never been injured he would definitely put asses in seats and would bring good marketing to the team as he'd have been a very recognizable face to the whole city because of the world cup...then again he probably would have lit up the world cup and cost something like $10-15 million, so I guess its a catch 22.

Anyway, we'll see what AEG, CC, Dom and everyone else decide to do. I have faith in them.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yep, and I'm not so sure we'd have to pay Benny more than $500k to be honest. He must pay massive taxes in Denmark and I'm sure he had to take a pay cut when they got relegated. It would be a steal for Dynamo to get him at or around that price up to $500-700k or so.

13. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Benny is that he isn't on a free. That's why I imagine he hasn't been transferred yet, not that he isn't good but that teams know his club has to sell and they're trying to get him on the cheap.

That being said, I've mentioned the idea of him to some friends and would love it if he'd come here.

14. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just check out this highlight reel of Diego Forlan:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYgoXHA8Rc"]YouTube- Diego Forlan - all goals of season 2009[/ame]

15. ViscaFCB

ViscaFCB New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Austin
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy has cannons for legs...
    I really hope we can a player of his caliber, its just too bad his contract runs until 2013.

16. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Visca, do you do shift work as well. You're up pretty late. :)

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    correct, but that's where Canetti comes in. remember Landin was not a DP because of salary but because of the transfer fee. i'm sure we can work out some fuzzy math.

18. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. He is a guy who could probably be available in the January window as well (if he doesn't make a move before then).

19. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG knows how to play us. We all started day dreaming when we read this, didn't we?

I don't doubt that AEG will give us a DP, but I doubt it will happen very soon. There will be excuses, delays, barriers, etc. I suspect this won't happen until late 2011, or perhaps 2012. In early 2011, expect more signings like Obodai, Hainault, Ngwenya, and Palmer, and expect Dom to tweak the team just a little bit.

I also don't think it will be that big of a signing, it won't be the hot current great player that people want.

We have too many things against us:

• Houston Weather.
    • Houston is not a magnetic beautiful city, particularly if you've lived in London, Madrid, Rome or some other cool city. New York and Los Angeles sell themselves, Houston doesn't.
    • The huge hispanic market in Houston almost forces us to bring in a latin american player, most likely Mexican. Nothing wrong with that, but it narrows down our selections perhaps too much. It would take a lot of money to bring a top-producing Mexican player, we don't want another Landin, and the best young players will want to play in Europe.
    • We'll probably want a striker, "somebody to play along our hero Ching" as a sentimental soul pointed out earlier. Strikers are the most expensive players to buy, and of course, don't grow on trees.
    • There is no rush to find a DP. They'll tell us that they tried to get Messi and Chicharito, but that negotiations failed at the last minute. They'll keep us hoping.
    • A good DP won't come here if he has to play with guys like Cochrane, Mullrooney, Oduro, and others. One DP won't make a lot of difference, we need a lot of changes. I honestly don't see Dom making drastic changes in the team any time soon (yes, Dom, make me eat my words, please!)
    • MLS can't have ONE dominant team, at least not right now, otherwise the rest of the cities would not get interested in soccer, right?
    • It will be good for the rest of MLS if we continue to be the losers for the next few years. THey'll build their fan base, the fans will fall in love with their teams. The Dynamo already have a strong fan base, two SGs, great fans, two titles, and even the plans to build a stadium.
    Perhaps the Dynamo won't rebuild and bring a DP until the Summer 2011. My prediction is that it will be somebody like Martin Palermo, somebody who has spent little or no time in Europe, or somebody who has exhausted his career and won't have too many more choices. Of course, Palermo is almost 40 yrs old, so it won't be him, but it will be somebody like him.

Maybe a Mexican Palermo? Who is the next Cuahtemoc Blanco? An aging mexican star, THAT will be our DP.

Let's get used to having a losing team, guys and girls. So many other cities had to endure that feeling for years, we already enjoyed two championships.

21. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Let's get used to having a losing team, guys and girls. So many other cities had to endure that feeling for years, we already enjoyed two championships."

That is loser talk, no thank you....I leave that sentiment just for you.

22. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately, that's the way things are, bubba. I admire your ability to have hope.

And as I said, Go, Dynamo!

23. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We need a striker or an attacking midfielder. We are in desperate need of more than just one player to get this team back where it needs to be.

24. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah cause a striker and midfielder would have helped us not give up 3 goals last night.

This team needs a major overhaul, starting with Pat Onstad retiring.

25. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If you looked at the stat from the SJ vs Redbulls game. They were both on the bottom of the table and now are on the top. You can turn around a team w/ signings in this league. Hopefully two DP impact players, and lots of role player signings