Combined Copa America and Gold Cup into 1: 16 teams (8+8) once every 4 years

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by pc4th, Jun 28, 2010.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Cup for all the Americas.

16 nations: 8 from CONMEBOL + 8 from CONCACAF

This tournament takes place 1 year after the World Cup (2011, 2015, 2019 and so on...).
    The best 8 teams from CONMEBOL World Cup qualification are in.
    The best 8 teams from CONCACAF World Cup qualification are in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#South_America_.28CONMEBOL.29

The best 8 teams out of 10 are:

Brazil 18 34
    Chile 18 33
    Paraguay 18 33
    Argentina 18 28
    Uruguay 18 24
    Ecuador 18 23
    Colombia 18 23
    Venezuela 18 22
    --------------------
    Bolivia 18 15
    Peru 18 13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

Best 8 teams out of 35 are:

U.S.A.
    Mexico
    Honduras
    Costa Rica
    El Salvador
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Jamaica
    Guatemala

2. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  3. kingallan2k7

kingallan2k7 New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    nah, more like all teams in conmebol
    and all concacaf teams in the hex
    thats better and more competitive

4. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason why this will happen one day is the Euro Championship. As the Euro becomes a more major tournament that drake in the $$$$ from television deals, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF will want to duplicate. The whole is better than the sum of its parts.

Here's how I would rate it:

World Cup: major tournament (10/10 in term of majorness)
    Euro: major tournament (9/10 in term of majorness)
    Copa America: mid major tournament (6/10 in term of majorness)
    Gold Cup: minor tournament (4.5/10 in term of majorness)

A combined Copa America and Gold Cup once every 4 years would be a major tournament (9/10 in term of majorness).

TELEVISION DEAL/REVENUE IS KING. FIFA got about $4 billion in television rights for 2010 World Cup. Ticket revenue is a paltry $60-80 mil or so.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half the world cup championships are in South America Uruguay 2 Argentina 2 Brazil 4 (soon 5) I say Copa America is just as good as Eurocup!

Also if the tournament happened it would be 10 comebol + 6 concacaf.

6. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the idea of this tournament, as it would legitimately rival the UEFA Euro as long as we hold it every 4 years on the year right after the world cup and before the Euro (2015, 2019, etc).

8 CONMEBOL + 6 CONCACAF directly out of qualifying.

Then 2 more 2-leg qualifiers. SA 9th vs NA 8th and SA 10th vs NA 7th

7. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    I disagree with everyone here in terms of when the tournament should take place. I think it should happen the same year as the euros (but start as soon as the euros finish like in 2004) because of two reasons 1) euro club teams(where most of the players play) dont care about the copa america but most schedule around the euros. 2) last copa the players who played in the previous world cup were quoted as saying that they were tired from playing the previous summer and not having a break. Which is why Ronaldinho and Kaka didn't play in the last edition.

Lastly i think that there should be some qualifying for the event because it does make actually getting to the event seem a little more of an accomplishment. My suggestion would be to use the fifa rankiings to rank the top 30 teams in both americas and let the #1 team play the 30th and so on on home and away. Yes Brazil vs Bermuda will not be competitive but, i believe both side will be happy because all strong teams usually play one pushover to get ready for a tournument. And also it would be a treat for the locals.

8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't work if Confederation Cup keeps current format-- you'd have to have some mechanism for making sure we always have a champion from each confederation.

Aside from that, anything that gets rid of the moronic every two-years Gold Cup. that's just killing us.

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home and away series for the best 2 CONCACAF sides (determine by how far they advance, how many points, goals scored etc....) in the "Americas Cup" to determine which national CONCACAF teams attend the Confederation Cup.

10. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    if anything it should be 10 from conmebol

and 6 from concacaf

11. southamerican1984

southamerican1984 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 10, 2005
    hahahaha and why should conmebol allow 6 teams from concacaf in our very prestigious copa America??????? are u crazy? do u see asian teams in the euro cup? why are u insulting south American football's confederation? your idea is very insulting....... however..... I'd be very, very happy if conmebol and concacaf merged when it comes to world cup qualifiers, would u like that? :D :D

12. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    y
    You must be from one of those conmebol countries that repeatedly fails to qualify for a WC and come release your frustration here.

13. southamerican1984

Feb 10, 2005
    hhahaha popol..... I see you didn't like my idea of conmebol and concacaf merging for world cup qualifiers.... :D

14. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    I feel like the US and mexico would still qualify cause a combined americas would get 8.5 spots probably. Plus with all the money going around i dont understand how comnebol could turn that down ESPN paid 100 million for the 2010 and 2014 cups i think. So a combined copa would probably get at least 30-50 from espn.

15. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    No you're wrong. I support this. But later in the future because CONCACAF is not ready yet.

16. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Unless you´re Brazilian or Argentine you wouldn´t qualify ahead of the USA or Mexico. Just check the rest of CONMEBOL´s records against both teams.

17. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Also check Costa Rica's head-to-head record vs. Chile. Its lopsided.

Rolando Fonseca even scored with a chilena against Chile last time they played. And he plays for a Guatemalan club. lol

18. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move the Gold Cup to once every 4 years right after the World Cup, same with Copa America; than you have the winners for the Confederations Cup the year before the World Cup.

Hold the new Combined America's Cup every 4 years the same summer as the Euro's, but, as someone said earlier, start the tourney after the Euro's are done.

That's a lot of soccer!

19. southamerican1984

Feb 10, 2005
    What are you talking about man? didn't you see how Uruguay defeated Mexico in the current world cup? and Colombia is constantly beating Mexico......... in last copa America, the U.S. finished in the last position, and Mexico.... Mexico has been taking part of the copa america since 1993 and they have never won such tournament.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    stop.....sounds more like a simple trolling effort

It takes credibility, the use or sarcasams....

21. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    No but I do see an asian (Japan) team in next year's copa america. Were you even aware of that?

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    ouch!

23. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The motivating factor why this might happen one day is $$$

The TV right from a combined tournament > the tv right from Copa America + Gold Cup

24. Anzo89

Anzo89 New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I like your proposal to make a sort of expanded Copa America. But not that 8+8 thing.

Here is my proposal: 32 teams.

Conmebol+Guyana+Surinam=12 teams(south america)
    NAFC+CCCF=10 teams(north and central america)
    Jamaica, T&T, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Rep, PuertoRico=6 teams(caribbean big countries)
    And 4 more teams(previous competition) for the other caribbean INDEPENDENT countries. For example: Grenada, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados.

So here we have our 32 teams.
    8 groups of 4 teams.

Using the actual FIFA ranking(as of after the 2010 world cup) for the hosts of each group.
    The groups are balanced according to the futbol level of each team.
    The colors mean the futbol level of each team. Red/Blue/Purple/Black
    This is how all the groups would look like.

Brazil/El Salvador/Cuba/Surinam
    Argentina/Honduras/Canada/Belize
    Uruguay/Panama/Haiti/Grenada
    Chile/Costa Rica/Guyana/Antigua & Barbuda
    USA/Venezuela/Guatemala/Dominican Republic
    Paraguay/Peru/T&T/Barbados
    Mexico/Colombia/Nicaragua/Bahamas
    Ecuador/Bolivia/Jamaica/Puerto Rico

Best 2 of each group go to the knockout round, then quarterfinal etc.

I think this Copa America would be the best by far. And the money involved would be a lot.
    I think this Copa America has nothing to envy the EuroCopa.

25. southamerican1984

Feb 10, 2005
    Ok, sorry, I hadn't read the whole title of this thread, I thought you guys wanted to participate in copa America and gold cup, just like Mexico does at the moment, which is something totally pathetic and unfair , however, you're proposing combining copa america and gold cup. I think that's a good idea but I think all 10 south american teams should participate in such tournament, maybe 2 south american teams could play some qualifiers against some teams from concacaf.