MLS flavors of the week: USMNT candidates vol 2 (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 27, 2010.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ike Opara did well and helped San Jose get a shutout against a very good RSL team. Jon Busch looked great too in his first game overtaking Joe Cannon. Good saves, good distribution.

And Chris Seitz seems to remember he is an quality young keeper with lots of upside, good job by him today but he needs to keep that consistency up to erase the early first half of the season shockers.

and Phili has one hell of a stadium, that thing looks nice.

2. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Mwanga has to get citizenship. Hard to believe he's only an 18 year old kid sometimes. He doesn't play like it.

3. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The acceleration he showed getting to that loose ball on his goal really impressed me.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he gets his citizenship before the U-20s hes gonna be a fun one to watch in that competition. Maybe he and Jack Mac up top? and Okugo in the midfield.....could have three Union players starting in the U-20s.

5. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Danny Cruz scored a nice goal and nearly had another for Houston. I and I think a lot of other people may have underestimated his potential; he just keeps improving.

I thought Dax McCarty looked lively for Dallas, who seem to be still working out their attacking cohesion.

Chris Pontius looked dangerous for DC, but couldn't find the net.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got ourselves a threeway dogfight for ROY between Mwanga, Opara, and Najar. All had very good performances tonight for their respective clubs and all three had goals. Blair Gavin also netted himself a goal. Young guns stepping up this weekend.

we gotta get Najar and Mwanga citizenship with a quickness.

and it looks like Chris Seitz fancies himself a goalkeeper all a sudden after a shaky early start to the season.

7. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mwanga is something else. That goal tonight was clinical. The guy is the future and the present. Can't wait to see him in a US jersey, the sooner the better.

8. Cade

Cade Member

Jul 7, 2008
    any links to some of Mwanga's goals? I have a mac and can't view the highlights on MLS site. :(

9. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Najar still seems like a real longshot to play for the US, and thats fine with me, he belongs to Honduras first.

Mwanga on the other hand, we should put alot of resources in making sure he plays for the US, he could be a talented enough guy that some 3rd country besides the US or Congo (France, Canada etc) could give him a quick path to citizenship, have to make him a priority.

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Stephens and Tim Ream fart in your general direction.

11. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Is Michael Stephens ineligible because he has prior professional experience (he played for the Chicago Fire Premier)? Otherwise I'd say he's definitely in the running.

12. FC Funkotron

FC Funkotron Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Austin, El Paso, New York
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're PDL correct? I'm pretty sure he's still eligible. Don't most college players play in PDL in the offseason?

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Fire Premier isn't professional. It's just a PDL club with Chicago Fire branding. I think the Fire does use it to evaluate college players for future drafting purposes, but it isn't really integrated into their organization.

Anyway, I think Michael Stephens and Blair Gavin belong in the conversation with Mwanga, Najar, and Opara. Stephens and Gavin have played almost every minute for their teams and done well. I don't think either of them have the upside that M/N/O do, but for ROY purposes they deserve to be in the conversation.

I think it's nice that a guy like Zack Schilawski, who's bagged five goals for a horrible NE team, isn't even in our hypothetical Top 5 (and I don't really think he should be).

14. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://phitv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp?catid=1880&id=6561

Click on the right side to bring up the highlight. I have a macbook pro and I had to install Microsoft Silverlight when first using the site.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this could very well be the deepest MLS draft class ever. There are some flat out performers out there this season that are already making significant contributions to their respective teams. Mwanga, Opara, Najar, Ream, Gavin, Schilawski, Stephens, and ill throw in Zach Lloyd too... are all helping their teams here, and now, and in a big way. And this doesnt include guys that might be baking 2 or 3 years in the oven like Tchani, Bone, or Bunbury (god i wish San Jose could have made that tradeup to the Crew for Bone happen!). Its great for the league, and great for our talent pool, thats for sure.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    OK.............let's talk about FCD for a second here. They've quietly only lost 2 games this season, and they aren't doing it with smoke and mirrors. Their defense is top notch.

The player who's quietly having a great season for FCD is central defender George John. He's in his second year, and has been great. He's big and strong.........not the fastest in the world..........but he might be worth a look. He's keeping Kyle Davies, who's a young player I really like, on the bench.

I waffle on Brek Shea. Sometimes he looks really dangerous, and sometimes he looks like he's just average. Either way, he's a shoe-in for our 2012 Olympic team.

And I'm going to say something that might get me in trouble. The best American player on FCD this season in my mind has been Daniel Hernandez. He's 33, and not on the USMNT radar for most of us anymore, but that doesn't change the fact that he's performing at a very high level.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    how is ugo doing? he's been on some top defenses over the last few years.

18. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    FYI Tim Ream also played for CFP...

19. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Eddie Gaven & Robbie Rogers were good
    Ike Opara Scored a Goal vs Dc United
    Pontius did okay Sj defended well vs him
    Blair Gavin & J Bornstein did well also with Chivas USA

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven was good. Rogers was his typical frustrating self. If I had to pick another Crew player to mention, I'd have gone with Marshall.

21. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Opara.

- No nationality issues.
    - Super athlete.
    - Smart kid, 21, finished his degree while in MLS despite having to train with his college team 3000 miles away.
    - Very good defensively, not error prone, makes big plays defensively.
    - Scored his 3rd goal last nite in less than 10 games.

In 2 years he'll be in the EPL and on the Nats. I know that's a crazy guess but I've never been as excited about a young centerback in MLS. Even Pope played fullback his first few years.

I like Ike.

22. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

He's quality. I think this could be one of those years like in '06 where the rookies where strong. Kljestan, Wynne, Sturgis etc. had good rookie seasons. I'd expect this year's class to exceed them. Great for the league and for the depth of the national team.

Opara is a shoe-in for camp in January.

I'm still the more excited about Mwanga though, since forward is more of an urgent need and his finishing skills are insane.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The fast and the furious, MLS stars and starlets to USMNT (multiple R's, if you want)

Hey, that Robbie Findley is good (just as I say it, he blows a breakaway).

24. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The fast and the furious, MLS stars and starlets to USMNT (multiple R's, if you want)

Haha, that was pretty awful. He knew what he wanted to do, couldn't pull it off.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: The fast and the furious, MLS stars and starlets to USMNT (multiple R's, if you want)

Wait, I saw this before. Like a week ago!