Official 30-Man Preliminary Roster thread discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, May 11, 2010.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...adley-Names-Preliminary-World-Cup-Roster.aspx

U.S. TRAINING CAMP ROSTER BY POSITION - Detailed Roster
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton)
    DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
    MIDFIELDERS (12): DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), José Torres (Pachuca)
    FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla), Eddie Johnson (Aris Thessaloniki)

2. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No much to say here the surprise was that Charlie Davis was left off the squad… If not he could have been there for moral support, a injured Charlie is way better than a on fire in form Findley any day of the week… I guess from here the speculation will be the final 23: Here is who´d I take in the end out of this group.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton)
    DEFENDERS : Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
    MIDFIELDERS : DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), José Torres (Pachuca)
    FORWARDS : Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Herculez Gomez (Puebla), Eddie Johnson (Aris Thessaloniki)

And to make this fun MY 23 starting 11 against England

Tim Howard

Cherundolo------- Bocanegra ----- DeMerit/ Onyewu (Gooch if 100%)--- Pearce

Dempsey----------- Bradley------------- Feilhaber----------------- Donovan

----------------Altidore--------------Gomez (Using Gomez as CD style forward)-----------

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very happy about the omission of Conor Casey. I am glad to see Bradley giving Gomez and Buddle a chance.

4. fobo

fobo New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no Charlie Davis...hmm.

If Robbie can control his nerves, he's a great alternative to Charlie.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    fair squad. I would not have wasted space on S. Kleftchin or Robbin rogers. Bradley is not the kind of coach who can use Adu, though, his creativity is probably exactly what Bob needs in those moments when total lack of creativity on the field and his usual substitution routine hurts the team.

Otherwise, no surprises. Thanks for not taking 'wish' guys like Davies. Never works out.

Beez is a gamer with a 70hr soccer shelf life, so use him wisely.

6. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that Sochaux refused to give Davies full medical clearance, which ruled him out.

7. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the inclusion of Findley. Findley's inclusion makes Klejstan and Rogers a little harder to take since Adu is pushed out of the picture.

I just think Findley spot should of went to Adu. In the end either one is unlikely to make the final 23 but I'd rate Adu's chances light years ahead of Findley's to make the squad.

Also sad about Charlie. :(

8. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CD being left out is HUGE morale blow

I do not believe his French club at all. How come today is the first time we've heard about "no medical clearance"? They don't give shit about the world cup they care about next season. ******** Schoax.

-Davies should have been given a chance at the camp. Cant wait to hear from cd9.

-Bradley drooling about Gooch being in a 23 man roster for Milans game was sad. I'm sure Rooney is shaking in his boots

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt)

9 (current) MLS players in the 30.
    Wonder how many will still be there when the 23 is announced.

10. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see this team scoring any goals outside of set pieces and PKs.

Who the hell is going to be subbed into the game when we are down a goal with 20 minutes left in the game??

I need to start drinking now.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    That's when Bradley pushes Boca up to Dmid and makes Bornstein a CB. Text book coaching man....

12. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    watching him try and fail in camp would have been a way worse morale blow imo-- for him, for the team, for the realization that this is best we may have at that position.

Honestly, Davies gamely attempting to limp over the finish line feels like it would have been a huge distraction to the purpose of this camp. It's not fun or pretty, but he may never be even a shell of the player he once was and finding out in SA would have been a terrible idea.

13. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Olsen?
    Josh Wolff?

14. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Rogers is coming to good form as these highlights from his last game reveal. He plays both sides and strong defense which gives him versatility that the team will need-especially if they can make a deep run.

http://clbtv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp?catid=1871&id=4967

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Not to mention potential re-injury. Now he and Adu can win the twitter World Cup.

That was simply a good managerial decision by one Robert Bradley.

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fairly obvious who belongs and who doesn't. As everyone has known for awhile, 18 of the roster spots are fully set and those (really) are 16 out of the 18 that we need to count on in S. Africa (sorry back-up goal keepers, you don't count).

So . . . here are the open questions:

1. Who is the 8th defender (Pearce, Goodson or Marshall)?

2. Who is the 3rd and 4th forward (Jozy and Ching are in for sure)?

3. Will we take 8 or 9 midfielders?

For what it's worth right now:

1. I think Goodson is the 7th and Pearce the 8th and Marshall stays home.

2. I think there is no way to handicap the last two forward slots and it's anyone's game among EJ, Buddle and Gomez.

3. I think that the outcome of Bob's evaluation of the forward log-jam might result in 9 midfielders with 3 forwards on the roster, which means that Landon or Clint would see a lot of time up top paired with Jozy.

While a lot of energy will be devoated to analyzing the 8th (and perhaps 9th) midfield slot, I don't think it will matter as those will wind up being the type of possession players the Bob doesn't play anyway.

17. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    add Bobby Convey and the jokes also illustrate the uphill climb Davies still has to go post-injury

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    My XI against England (the first time I've done this for the WC):

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Dempsey, Altidore, Donovan, Clark, Bradley, Holden, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Until the other strikers prove themselves in camp, then Dempsey is in line to get the other nod at striker against England.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    His speed is useful late in games, but his ONE soccer technique, the cutback is so pathetically obvious at the international level that when he loses the ball for the fourth time on his magic cutback, I just get really sad for American soccer.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant really argue that out.

21. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Reality is sinking in.

These are the players we have. Findley over Casey (given Ching injury) is a head scratcher. The probability that one of Rogers, Bedoya or Beasley will go to SA while Adu doesn't even get to the camp is just wrong.

No surprise re: CD. Wonder how much of the "medical clearance" stuff is orchestrated to take pressure off of Bob? May require too much cooperation.

22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

That's a pretty good looking line-up. Subs are more where I'm concerned.

23. USA2014

USA2014 Member

May 4, 2010
    1. Goodson, no question.

2. Buddle and Gomez

3. 8 middies - Holden, Donovan, Bradley, Clark, Edu, Feilhaber, Torres, and Bedoya

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    dempsey is a situational striker, final 20min at best. His ball winning and possession play in the midfield is way too valuable. You put him up top expecting service from a US squad that will predictably back pass to a bocanegra/gooch long ball and he will just eat his own hand.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    a) it depends on who started that game,
    b) the idea is not to be down a goal with 20 minutes remaining.
    c) if we needed offense late in the game, my bet would be that Torres or Gomez (or Buddle) would be likely candidates. Or guys like EJ or Ching could be used. Certainly not great options. Also, I know Gooch likes to push up and play forward.