Sounders fans to get money back [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by PhillyMLS, May 9, 2010.

1. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    According to this tweet from Joshua Mayers:

"Sounders to give fans their money back after LA loss. Season ticket holders will be credited with a game for next year."

That is a very interesting move, and something I'm not sure I've ever seen done here in the states. I know an English team recouped their travelling fans this year after a drubbing, but haven't heard of a US team doing it.

Link here: Sounders Blog

2. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hhaha lol whats gonna happen next week when they lose and NOT score again?

3. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This should really help out with their sense of entitlement!

2 people repped this.
  4. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    http://www.prostamerika.com/2010/05/09/match-so-unacceptable-fans-will-be-compensated-24045/

5. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm speechless !

:confused:

6. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    You guys can talk rivalries crap all you want.

The fact that the Seattle FO is doing this shows they care about their fans.

It shows that they care about that relationship they have with the fans. That they don't take them for granted. That the product on the field does matter.

8. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah it shows they appreciate you but.... loses are part of the game besides this was only a 4-0 lose

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this has much less to do with the fans, and much more to do with protecting the brand and having an organizational philosophy demanding excellence. This is a cannon shot across the bow of the players.

2 people repped this.
  10. rand al'thor

rand al'thor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    In the 4th dimension
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't that we lost. It was that after the second goal, the players just gave up. They quit. All the Sounders except Montano, should be ashamed at their performace yesterday. Losses happen, even blowout losses, but that doesn't mean you stop playing and half ass it the rest of the way. Getting the money back is nice, but I'm more pleased that people will be losing their starting jobs, and some their roster spots all together. I can stomach a loss, but having players with no heart who don't give 100% every minute they're out on the pitch pisses me off.

1 person likes this.
  11. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it shows that the Sounders are run by savvy people.

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    This is a good point. Well stated.

1 person likes this.
  13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a free ticket is not the same as money back.

14. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad part is how many of the players the Sounders rely on were the ones that just quit -- I specifically refer to John Kennedy Hurtado, who has been the Sounders best defender for a year, but just stopped caring yesterday. It was sad to watch. If anyone should be refunding money it's him.

In terms of the announcement -- it doesn't mean that much to me. Assuming life doesn't carry me to job opportunities in other cities or whatever, I'm in for the long-haul. So the cost of one game is not really an issue. What is an issue is the lack of movement to make things better. That is something that all clubs should be doing all the time, IMO -- trying to get better players and perform better on the field. When you trot out fifth-string national team defenders like Brad Evans as a forward, well you know you haven't done enough.

1 person likes this.
  15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very simple , you got deep pockets bring in better players and make yourself the Manu of the North America.
    On a lighter note NY/NJ RB owes their season tickets holders a free game as well.

16. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Sounders are run like a real football club. They know we deserve better and they put their money where their mouth is.

17. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    First we must get someone to convince Sigi that Pete Vagenas is not very good and Nathan Sturgis isn't either. Oh and Taylor Graham makes a lot of money for a guy who has not seen many minutes.

The problem is that the Sounders haven't gone out and got any players other than Montano and the guys they picked up in the draft.

18. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

This x10.

And cut the dead (expensive) weight off the roster to free up cap space for better players to come this summer. Nkufo won't make this team a lot better on his own. We need to bring over someone else with him.

19. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for a pc4th poll on this.

20. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Taylor Graham is awful. I don't know why he's still playing in MLS period.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We hold these truths to be self-evident..... :D

1 person likes this.
  22. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Seattle invented losing by 4 goals.

23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if I'm a Seattle owner or Seattle coach, the first thing I'd do is tell my players to stop complaining about the referees during matches and just play the damn game. I'd tell Freddy Lungberg that he's here to be an inspiration, a leader and not to roll around on the turf clutching his ankle at every 50/50 challenge or chase the referee or linesman around the field like a lunatic. Until Sigi and his boys stop playing the victim it's going to be hard for them to turn things around.

Perhaps this gesture by the owner is a sign that he gets this. Maybe this is a shot the players can't ignore and they'll know that owners feel that whining to the degree they've done it is unacceptable.

AH (owner)

Even given the performance yesterday, in the first half we were the better team. Offside gets called on a goal, (it's) called back (when he) wasn't in an offside position. If the referee makes the right call there we're up 1-0. Kasey, who's obviously manned up and willing to take responsibility for the goal that they score. It's a different game if we go into halftime up 1-0. But it didn't. The offside did get called.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht..._sounders_fc_to_pay_back_its_se.html#continue

oh well, never mind. Carry on as usual.

24. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the emotional damages? ;)

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real football clubs don't lose at home by four goals.

Why do you "deserve better"? Because you made the playoffs as an expansion team last year? Because second-year clubs aren't supposed to have embarrassing losses to teams that are dominating the league? Because a soccer-mad city showed up to a soccer game and saw a loss?

I salute the Sounders organization for doing this... I suppose. It's certainly a classy thing to do. But it's completely unneccessary. Sports teams lose games. I was at a CBJ game this year where we lost to the Red Wings 9-1. I was pissed, but you pays your money, you takes your chances.

Being at these crappy performances makes it all the sweeter when you finally win something.