Alert: A message from Paul Bierne of TFC: One Bad Apple .......

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Blizzard, May 4, 2010.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    PB: It was only a matter of time until we saw this coming. I want you to know that this is due to some people in the southwest corner who cannot keep their heads during a game. South east and north west corners generally get it. The display at the beginning of the Montreal game was great and will still be allowed.

But as a result of the numpty at the Seattle game (and previous pattern of stuff getting tossed) our staff at BMO Field will be instructed to have zero tolerance for items being thrown during the game to impact play. Mainly this is corner kicks but any other time in-game or at players as well.

Goal celebrations, kick-off displays are still cool.

here's the official word:

OBJECTS THROWN ONTO THE FIELD
    From today’s game forward, there will be tightened security with regards to objects being thrown onto the pitch at BMO Field. Unfortunately, a bottle was thrown at one of the opposing players during our home match against Seattle Sounders and stadium officials will be strictly enforcing a policy that anyone seen throwing an object onto the pitch will be ejected from the stadium (streamers can still be thrown in celebration as long as they don’t impact the play). We want to keep the great atmosphere at BMO Field but also need to ensure the safety of other supporters and players during matches.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=13143
    http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22320

2. PAAH

PAAH New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Aurora, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have no problem with this.

3. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's about time. Amen!

4. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I won't be sad to see the streamers go. They got tiring a few years ago. Once Columbus Crew fans start jumping on a trend you know it's time to move on.

5. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This isn't about streamers! It's about 1 or 2 classless wank stains ruining things for everyone else.

6. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Be that as it may, it's well past the time that streamers thrown at players during play disappeared forever.

Streamers can still be thrown in the stands in displays after the anthems and after goals as long as they are not directed at opposition players during play.

That's what it comes down to and I am in full support of this inititative.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed, throwing them at players during set pieces makes us as fans look pretty hack.

8. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    It does make TFC fans look bad. A comment I've heard from someone who doesn't really watch soccer was that nobody actually likes soccer, the only reason it's a full stadium is because it's a chance to get drunk and do stupid things like throw streamers at players. I don't agree with the comment but I could see why he would say that.

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The funny thing is, that's always been my view of NFL Football.